TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 My opinion

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
LuvtoSew Posted - 06/21/2007 : 05:55:42
During my 20's I had no health ins. I hurt my back doing firewood and could barely walk for a week, it went away and I didn't go to
a doctor- couldn't afford too. I've have several injuries and they hurt but always went away after awhile without any doctor visits.

Dr. Sarno in his book does say we should get checked out to make sure nothing real serious is wrong.

I guess all I'm saying sometimes if we wait long enough the pain will go away on its own anyway without medical intervention.

Now that I have ins. I am much more inclined to run to the doctor if you know what I mean.

I do believe as we get older too we are bound to have aches and pains, just a part of life. Its the chronic pain that lingers on and on that becomes a problem as its hard to ignore it and the longer it lasts the more we dwell on it as its just so hard not too.

I don't know what the answer is, but I think when Dr. Sarno says once we rule out anything serious we are to try to ignore it and concentrate on other things, like journaling, and try to forget about it instead of dwelling on it.

6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
altherunner Posted - 06/24/2007 : 18:44:35
If you believe that: "as we get older too we are bound to have aches and pains, just as a part of life." then you will have aches and pains. Those messages reinforce the tms strategy. My running lately has been mediocre, but pain free, not like in my thirties and early forties.
armchairlinguist Posted - 06/21/2007 : 21:33:10
I believe that Sarno quotes some statistics to support this, saying that where there's "recognition" of whiplash and treatment for it, people will "get" it after an accident, whereas it's virtually unknown where it isn't recognized and covered.

It's important for us all to have access to the medical care we need, but it's also useful to remember how much care we DON'T really need.

--
Wherever you go, there you are.
h2oskier25 Posted - 06/21/2007 : 15:07:18
carbar, I think you touched on something important here.

I don't think its the fact that it's human nature to want to feel important by having somebody like a Doctor look into our physical problems.

I think it's more that we feel that we want somebody to genuinely care about our "human" condition, and listen.

Of course the irony is, health insurance has factored out listening from the doctor's treatment. Just no time . . .

Beth
carbar Posted - 06/21/2007 : 14:02:00

Insurance and easy access is a crutch for chronic.

The fact that perscription drugs are an indefinite $10/15/20 a month co-pay is a crutch, too.

If insurance paid the $300+/month that therapists expect per patient beyond some paltry 10 or 20 sessions, then maybe more folks would be "thinking psychological" and really finding relief from their cronic pain.

Or how about the fact that humans have a basic need to feel important and receive attention from other. Attending doctors appointments can fulfill that need, albeit not a "healthy" way to do so.

Gemma_Louise Posted - 06/21/2007 : 13:16:03
I used to go to the doctor for absolutely everything, I was terrible. I guess I was constantly seeking reassurance that I was ok. I had a pain in my leg and thought I was getting DVT...I had pains in my chest and thought it was heart problems...I was only 19 at the time!! Looking back, I'm sure it was all TMS.

I am pleased to say that I don't go anywhere near as often now. In the end my doctor actually said 'I think you're a worrier Gemma, you need to relax and stop obsessing about things'. She actually indicated that it was psychological. I think a lot of doctors accept deep down that a lot of pain is psychological, but they don't want to openly admit it, because a lot of them would be out of a job!

'Stop being so hard on yourself...it's not good for your health' - Shine, Take That'
Shary Posted - 06/21/2007 : 10:22:45
LTS, you bring out an important point here. Medical insurance can definitely become a crutch. As a culture, we have almost forgotten that we don't need to run to the doctor for every ache and pain, and that often we will do much better if we DON'T run to the doctor.

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000