TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 disc shmisc video

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
skizzik Posted - 06/15/2007 : 19:59:27
http://youtube.com/watch?v=LX8Ly-sGXN0

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=LAbackandbody
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Stryder Posted - 07/05/2007 : 22:38:42
Out of 17 replies to the survey, 11 (64%) replied "yes" overall they consider their recovery from TMS a success. More than 50% but obviously not close to 90%.
Stryder Posted - 06/21/2007 : 15:08:00
quote:
Originally posted by Stryder

bert said: Yes I totally understand that train of thought Ralph. And what your stating is true following to the T, the Sarno method. For me, I haven't seen the 90% cure rate that is claimed. Definitely, not on this board. And I'm still up in the air how convincing this claim to be.

Good point. Let's find out. I've put up a survey and I'll publish the results. Its just one question, yes or no. Please be honest and only one response per forum member. I think this free survey will allow 50 people to reply. Here is the link... good luck....

...survey concluded 4-Jul-2007...

Take care, -Stryder

Survery responses are still coming in. The survey will remain open until Wed 4-Jul-2007 when the results will be published.

Its just one question, yes or no. Please be honest and only one response per forum member. I think this free survey will allow 50 people to reply.

Take care, -Stryder
ralphyde Posted - 06/20/2007 : 23:51:40
You're right. I got you mixed up with truenorth on the 1978 fusion surgery. Thought it was you. Sorry.

Ralph
bert Posted - 06/20/2007 : 18:35:43
Thanks for the links Ralph. I'm glad to hear of this many success stories. I honestly have to say prior I had my doubts. And I don't blame anyone for not coming here after they've been ridden of thier pain. It's only a reminder. I personally find living in constant discomfort a negative obviously. And am constantly trying to ignore it. I've journaled some apologies for things I've done in the past I'm ashamed of recently. Things I feel have made a terrible contribution to my type A personality. Also, I need to explore other options for now to prove once and for all about different reasonings for pain and also relief, before I can give 100% to one theory. And regardless if that's hindering my relief, it has to be done. As I can not take anyones opinions as fact. I want my own proof. Even if the process of elimination takes a bit longer than neccessary.

As for short term relief remedies mentioned above being short term. I see that as a problem. Hence my opinions about lots of members here going through thier symtoms again after being pain free for some time. Are not these also short term remedies? Makes me feel this way. If TMS is cured, shouldn't it be cured forever? Once you learn to ride a bike you don't forget how.

And I doubt a survey here would be a fair evalution of how many who are treated for TMS are cured. I still doubt it to be 90% more like 50%. Just a guess. But that's still would be better than the medical profession.

So I'm going to continue with Sarno's method and also give self hipnosis tapes thier chance along with self massage and ignoring the pain til I prove each one valuable or not. And then I will be able to give 100% to Sarno's approach if all other options have failed. I've gone 100% with so many idea in my life, only to realise there is always more than one way to do something. The idea may not be the best or quickest, but it may be what works for one and not the other. Just being here proves that we are open to different views from the norm.

Oh BTW I didn't have fusion surgery in 78. Must have mixed me up with another. I only had a discopathy and all they did was cleaned some deposits which were supposedly strangling a nerve. I have to believe them as I no longer had discomfort after healing from the surgery. And if I was lied to, then my thoughts that all you need to do is believe in something 100% may have applied back then. I was very ready for surgery then. Not now.

ralphyde Posted - 06/20/2007 : 11:20:24
A survey of this board can tell us nothing. Those who have done the TMS work and recovered have gotten their lives back and are no longer here to take a survey.

As mizlorinj said, this is the "doubters' board" where "there are many who just hang in there and are not repudiating the physical and continue to complain of their symptoms."

Occasionally those that have healed themselves might come back to give some encouragement, but most have gone back into active lives, and no longer wish to think about pain or TMS.

Ralph

Stryder Posted - 06/19/2007 : 22:28:02
bert said: Yes I totally understand that train of thought Ralph. And what your stating is true following to the T, the Sarno method. For me, I haven't seen the 90% cure rate that is claimed. Definitely, not on this board. And I'm still up in the air how convincing this claim to be.

Good point. Let's find out. I've put up a survey and I'll publish the results. Its just one question, yes or no. Please be honest and only one response per forum member. I think this free survey will allow 50 people to reply. Here is the link... good luck....

...survey concluded 4-Jul-2007...

Take care, -Stryder
ralphyde Posted - 06/19/2007 : 12:04:13
Bert,
There are a number of places you can look for success stories about TMS principles and treatment. One is the success stories forum here which Dave recently built:
http://tmshelp.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=4

Another is the customer reviews section on Amazon.com. Healing Back Pain now has over 300 reviews overwhelmingly positive by people for whom reading the book healed them. There are a few skeptics, but only a few:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/customer-reviews/0446392308

Watch the 20/20 segment on Dr. Sarno:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6660313127569317147

It's very possible that your spinal fusion in 1978 has limited your range of motion, and is making it harder for you to repudiate the physical.

But TMS can only be defeated when the unconscious distraction strategy no longer works. And as long as there is doubt that the cause of the pain is emotional or psychological, the strategy is still working. That's why one must think psychological instead of physical whenever the pain comes, to counter the distraction strategy and defeat TMS. This needs to become a habit.

Ralph

mizlorinj Posted - 06/19/2007 : 08:33:09
I happen upon this forum once in awhile hoping to give back from my experience. But yes, there are many who just hang in there and are not repudiating the physical and continue to complain of their symptoms.
Fortunately I did reject the physical, work on the psychological, and am "normal" again (though friends and family would laugh at "normal" hahahaha).
I found massage worked great on the butt pain I was having, but the pain returned. At that point I realized I had to get to the SOURCE of the pain, which was psychological. Not my herniated disc.
As long as people continue to think it's "10% physical", well, your brain's strategy is working as it plans and you will not get 100% better. As mentioned here, if you believe other treatments will work, some probably will, but for how long? THAT is the question. Again, by doing that you are not attacking the SOURCE of the pain.
I called this the "doubters board" some time back and heard all kinds of flack for it but couldn't be bothered responding. They can think what they want. Or doubt what they want.
Dr. Sarno's treatment worked for me and I am grateful for that. But I believed it 100% and did the work to unload and face the psychological factors.
PS I did try hypnosis--again not with a lasting effect.
-Lori
[/purpl[purple]
bert Posted - 06/18/2007 : 19:46:43
Yes I totally understand that train of thought Ralph. And what your stating is true following to the T, the Sarno method. For me, I haven't seen the 90% cure rate that is claimed. Definitely, not on this board. And I'm still up in the air how convincing this claim to be. Not to say I've seen the method mentioned in the video to be any better. But I like to go the scientific route. Trial and error. I have not heard enough people claiming to be pain free to convince me that Sarno's method is as good as is claimed. I've only heard of maybe ten give or take that have been pain free long term. I've personally have had back pain since 92. And have had a fairly successful operation, probably more because I truely believed it would be. I've also worked out with weight to deal fairly well with chronic back pain. And fairly heavy weights. So I do believe it's stressed induced. But I've not seen enough evidence yet especially on this board to believe 100% that journally and reallizing we have TMS is the cure. I believe it's more that we ourselves need to believe what ever we believe is the cure. Our own faith. Especially when going through trauma in our lives. Seems when we latch on to a belief strong enough, it's realized. Just as when starting a business. If you believe it will work. You will do what ever it takes to make it work. May be you want to make a difference, may be you to prove a point or you want to make lots of money. As long as you have a strong commitment to making something work, it will. That's what I believe is the key to Sarno's method and other methods. You need to truely be committed. Otherwise it's probably not a strong enough belief to work.

Hopefully enough people will come foward on this board to express thier experiences with hard core Sarno method is working just as stated. And I feel committed to making his method work. But I really haven't gotten that message hear at all. I hear of many many people wondering why that are not getting over the hump. And others here posting you need to hang in there and do this or that. Yet those same people, not all, are still going through pain themselves. Don't get me wrong I say again. I realize there are member here doing well. But not too many have either stated so or just are not posting for me to be aware of them. I've asked in another thread for those not having anymore pain using Sarno's method to be accounted for. But only a few have. I hope I'm wrong.

In the mean time I'll will continue to explore what I believe will help with the emotional trauma causing my pain. Along with building up my body to be strong once again. I see no harm in making muscle feel good and strenthening them using weights. As long as I can endure the pain.

I've noticed when I'm happy and having fun I don't feel much pain when my back isn't going through an acute episode. But much of life for me now has been more about survival due to many traumatic episodes for the last 2 years. But I still notice my chronic back pain is not so bad at all if I go to a friends house and party with old friends as I did last month. But that next morning, guess what, I felt very unstable and worried about responsibilities.

Another example is when I need to rush at work and get physical. All of a sudden, the adrenaline kicks in and at some point I say to myself why aren't I in severe pain. Don't get me wrong at times it can be very severe. But only when I've already had an acute episode. Right now I have burning pain in my left leg and foot, which was so bad 2 weeks ago I couldn't work. I had a slight episode Friday night and has gotten worse each day slightly like last month did. But now since I'm used to the pain and running out of money I choose to work through it. Mainly cause of circumstances have allowed me to work with peoples help.

quote:
Originally posted by ralphyde

Of course you realize that:

"The principle is that one must renounce any structural explanation either for the pain or its cure, or the symptoms will continue. Manipulation, heat, massage, exercise, and acupuncture all presuppose a physical disorder that can be treated by some physical means. Unless that whole concept is repudiated, the pain and other symptoms continue."

Healing Back Pain, page 81.

Ralph

Stryder Posted - 06/18/2007 : 18:24:09
quote:
Originally posted by skizzik

http://youtube.com/watch?v=LX8Ly-sGXN0

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=LAbackandbody

This video has been removed by the user.

Try this one... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_n2rs6lTx4

Ok, you may get some relief from targeting the right muscle with the right technique, but I would think that is going after the symptom of pain and not the cause. I would think the pain would just come back later. I do give this guy credit for bucking the medical/industrial complex and was happy to hear his mention of the good doctor. By the way who is this guy Thomas Griner? (mentioned in the profile)

Take care, -Stryder
ralphyde Posted - 06/17/2007 : 20:53:44
Of course you realize that:

"The principle is that one must renounce any structural explanation either for the pain or its cure, or the symptoms will continue. Manipulation, heat, massage, exercise, and acupuncture all presuppose a physical disorder that can be treated by some physical means. Unless that whole concept is repudiated, the pain and other symptoms continue."

Healing Back Pain, page 81.

Ralph
bert Posted - 06/17/2007 : 19:22:30
Thanks for that link skizzik. I watch all of his videos and did a search on NeuroSoma, which is the originators "Thomas Griners" method of relaxing muscles due to overly contracted muscle spasms from wear and tear of over use. There are very few people who are available for this type of approach. But if you read enough you can get a sense of how they are doing the massage. It's not deep. It's more of surface massage trying to find the gaps in between the muscles. The tender spots. There are diagrams of these spots such as right behind the knee and generally where most of us are feeling the pain. The motion seems to be going across the muscles in a stretching motion. I'm not sure at all. Just an educated guess at what I've read and watched. So I tried to symulate this using a strong mechanical hand massager for over an hour today. I was in quite a bit of that burning type nerve bursting pain for the last 2 days. And it seemed to work for a few hours. So I'll continue for a few weeks. And as long as I believe it's my ticket, it will probably work. Then I'll keep with it.

I also been using self hipnosis tapes for healing back pain from this site [deleted]. Which she also had a very severe case of back pain and believes that it's caused from 90% emotional trauma. 10% physical. And she also believes thier is a secondary gain from the pain which the subconcious is trying to get you to realize. Which to me, also make tons of sense. Such as finacial troubles and unstable feeling with life I believe she mentioned for back pain. I'll let you'll know how it all turns out.

I'm not a hard core Sarno man. I believe he's pointing many in the right direction, but has really only touch the surface. I think along with his approach, any approach that we ourselves really believe will work, will probably help us out even more. If only because we really believe it's the right course.

For example, I had back surgery in 97. I truely believed thats what I needed and had all the faith in the world back then in getting this surgery. And what do you know, it worked great. I was also told I'd probably need it again in 10 years if I continued to work the way I did. Well it's now 10 years in November. But I ain't getting it. I'm going to beat it my way. Because I believe I can. I think as long as we really believe in something, IT WILL BE And that is Mind over Back Pain.

That's all.
LuvtoSew Posted - 06/16/2007 : 08:15:22
Thanks for the links- wonder what type of massage he does?
Penny Posted - 06/15/2007 : 22:28:51
Thanks Skizzik ... very good!

Here's another one from Dr. Schecter
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5yARoSoxfg&NR=1

>|< Penny

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000