TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 the fear factor

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Singer_Artist Posted - 03/31/2007 : 09:46:40
Hi All,
I was wondering how much of a role others here feel that fear plays in increasing symptoms..I believe for me it is a huge factor..The last thing on the planet I want is to lose more time to the TMS pain...So when I get any twinges, right away there is a sense of minor panic that I might have hurt myself again, (for real) or that the TMS is going to grab hold of me and wreak havoc with my life again..

For me, it is borderline hypochondriasis and takes many forms..I suffer from mostly neck, knee, back TMS..but lately it has attacked my chest and stomach as well..It is amazing to me the lengths that our subconscious will go to in order to protect us from feeling what is really 'down there.' I am such an active person and not being able to play tennis yet, for example, is very upsetting..That alone contributes to more rage and it's a never ending cycle..

I have sort of been pushing through and doing my life while living with pain of various degrees on a daily basis..While I have made great improvements in the past using Sarno's techniques, I feel as if I have hit a wall in my healing from this..It could be because of all the current life stressors and pressures, I don't know...But I do know that the fear adds great anxiety to the mix...Any thoughts are welcome...Hope you all have a wonderful weekend..
God bless,
Karen
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Singer_Artist Posted - 04/02/2007 : 21:50:01
Hi Justme,
The pains I get in the chest vary alot..Sometimes they are in the upper chest and basically sharp, sudden and shooting..They come and go quickly..Other times they are below the breast bone..or right in the center..aching or sharp when they are there..I don't get palpitations too often, occasionally I get a skipped beat..I don't have tightness or clenching..

I have definitely noticed a correlation to stress, especially relationship stress and these pains..I went to a cardiologist when it was at it's worst and passed the stress test and EKG..I don't smoke and don't have high blood pressure or diabetes so he said I am fine, it's just stress..I don't have any risk factors..I sooo understand having to repress certain emotions for a long time..I have been there, still am in certain ways..I hope you feel better very soon..Chest pains of any sort are very scary..
Hugs and God bless,
Karen
justme Posted - 04/02/2007 : 20:13:25
Karen/Singer Artist-

Could you describe your chest pain to me? I have a sensation behind my sternum that sometimes feels like one of the following:
pain
lump in the throat
tightness
a clenching
palpitations (sometimes)

It seems to emanate from behind the sternum but I can also feel it is a muscular tightness in the chest muscles (as if I had worked out)

Even though I have been diagnosed with a hiatal hernia I do not think this is the source of my symptoms - mainly because meds for that dont even work, and I know it was precipitated by significant emotions that I was unable to express for an extended period of time.

Thanks,

Justme

Singer_Artist Posted - 04/02/2007 : 13:24:06
Thanx Art...Thank goodness I don't live like this every single day..It comes in waves depending upon the severity of symptoms..I am sure the emotional part plays the biggest role...
art Posted - 04/02/2007 : 12:49:51
I've written before to the effect that I believe that for many tms'ers there's a strong element of hypochondriasis...I do not believe one can become healed (or more important even a reasonably happy person) til that's been dealt with...

If you're living in fear, you're not fully living...
Singer_Artist Posted - 04/02/2007 : 09:44:44
Thanx wrldtrv,
It helps to know someone understands..It is a very painful disorder and I have to work on it almost daily lately..If it's not one thing, it's another..The TMS is moving all over the place and on top of it, I am forever worrying about something in my body..I am surprised Dr. Sarno doesn't touch on this, but after all, he touchs on sooo much..and I guess we can deduce what he might say about hypochondriasis..
Hugs,
Karen

Thanks Tom...It does help to remind myself of that...:))
tennis tom Posted - 04/01/2007 : 23:56:01
quote:
Originally posted by Singer_Artist

...and now I feel like I have made my neck muscles weaker from being too careful...Karen

Karen, if your neck can still hold your head up, it has not gotten too weak. Hang in there.

some of my favorite excerpts from 'TDM' : http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2605
wrldtrv Posted - 04/01/2007 : 23:11:07
As for religion, I think we're on the same wavelength, Art. That's all I want to say about it now.

Karen, I've wondered the same thing about hychondriasis, whether there is a TMS connection. I don't think Sarno mentions it. I certainly have it.
Singer_Artist Posted - 04/01/2007 : 18:30:06
I hear ya, Art..So what do you think about the topic of fear and TMS? Sometimes I anticipate pain b4 even doing the most remedial tasks..just based on past experience..It is a visous cycle and now I feel like I have made my neck muscles weaker from being too careful...Not only that, but in general..I was wondering if anyone else on here ever battles with Hypochondriasis and if that is a TMS issue as well...
Thanx for listening,
Karen
art Posted - 04/01/2007 : 14:47:45
Oh but Karen, that's the best time, the beginning of a relationship, when evryone's still pretending to be this absurdly wonderful, patient, understanding person...."Oh my yes, that's so clever of you. I've never thought about things quite like that."

Later on, when all bets are off... that's the time to clam up..
Singer_Artist Posted - 04/01/2007 : 11:55:51
Oops..I left a big part of it out...She said not to discuss these potentially heated topics on first dates.. And I agree with your amendment...:)
art Posted - 04/01/2007 : 11:31:01
quote:
My dear mom, God rest her soul, always told me never to discuss religion or politics

But Karen, How dull....I'd amend that to, never discuss religion with anger in your heart, or politics with a closed mind...
Singer_Artist Posted - 04/01/2007 : 11:22:46
Hi Tom and Art,

I just came from Palm Sunday Mass and it was beautiful and inspiring...I feel peaceful today and that doesn't happen alot these days...I have my unique views on religion, politics and the like...but I am avoiding talking about this subject because I still think that it could trigger a war of sorts and, quite frankly, I am still recovering from the other one...

My dear mom, God rest her soul, always told me never to discuss religion or politics..(I might add, especially on TMS forums, lol)...Trust me, I am not your typical Christian by any stretch...I am very open and I have no problem accepting others whose viewpoints are completely opposite of mine...I have just as many atheists, Buddists, agnostics, etc..as friends as I do believers...Bush, in my humble opinion, gives Christianity a bad name, I did not vote for him, needless to say...(I probably shouldn't have even said that..i don't want to offend anyone who did..)

Can we talk about what I originally intended with this post?? The role of fear in TMS? I am really struggling with that...
I hope you both have a wonderful Sunday..
Karen
tennis tom Posted - 04/01/2007 : 10:13:43
quote:
Originally posted by art

Is it possible to ask that question without pissing people off? And if one does get pissed off, what might be the underlying reason? Seems to me that a belief is simply a belief, existing outside the realm of ego and emotion...It just is...Or just should be, should it not?

Hi Karen, I read Art's post and didn't feel it was directed at you or anyone else. He was just tossing a thought out there. Don't take it personally!

My thought on the subject is that there are no atheists in the foxholes. Regarding TMS and belief, faith, spirituality or however one wishes (or not wishes) to refer to a life-force outside of themselves, Dr. Sarno mentions a doctor with back-pain that journied into the jungle, seeking out a voo-doo doctor for a "cure". In an all night ceremony culminating with the head of a chicken being cut off, the doctor was "cured" of his back-pain. This was obviouly a placebo cure and his TMS may return, but "what-ever works". Our species was given a spot in our mindbody, some may dare call it our souls, to dwell on such thoughts and feelings and I for one do not have the hubris to challenge it.

In corollary to Art's question, is it possible to answer that question without pissing someone off?

some of my favorite excerpts from 'TDM' : http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2605
art Posted - 04/01/2007 : 08:52:39
I'm asking this not in terms of religion per se, or to challenge anyone's particular beliefs, but to discuss belief in general..That is, faith in things without supporting evidence.

Personally, I rank the belief in the devil on precisely the same level as believing in ghosts, so again, this is not about religion, or at least only about religion...

My other question was, for those who feel themselves taking umbrage, directed at the source of that anger...Where does it come from?

That said, you're probably right...I could go back and delete the message, but that strikes me as cowardly...If people want to respond, they should have the opportunity...

I just get depressed by the whole "belief" thing..it actually frightens me a bit...How much of the worlds troubles are "faith-based?" The are millions of people around the world who believe that Jews are behind the 9/11 attacks for example....Thse beliefs are not susceptible to change, because they exist in a realm that has nothing to do with evidence..

George Bush believes he has God on his side...So do the terrorists...As far as I'm concerned, there's not all that much distance between the two..

Singer_Artist Posted - 04/01/2007 : 08:18:08
Hi Art,
We seem to still be a little mad at each other because we aren't addressing each other directly...:) I can handle that and it's sure a step up from the awful arguing previously..Although I was very defensive, I honestly still believe that I had some good reasons to feel what I did...But please let's not go there again..I am only saying this to try to stop yet another potential long winded debate about a topic unrelated to TMS...My original post on here, just like the other one, did have TMS as a big part of it's content and I want to keep it that way...Please don't divert it into something else..

I think that you know you could be potentially opening yet another can of worms here by your last reply..Alexis even added, in a recent thread about Scott Brady, a link to a previous thread with a religious debate to forstall another one, and waste valuable forum time...

You know that you and I couldn't be more at the opposite end of the spectrum in regards to the topic of God, Heaven, etc...So why even go here and bait everyone to chime in? There are Christians and there are non-Christians on here, there is even a half Jewish person (namely me) who believes in Jesus as Savior...In other words, there is soooo much diversity that opening up such a discussion could get ugly and you must know that...I am trying to learn from my mistake of talking about unrelated topics on here and not respond to your question...I hope you do the same..
Take care,
Karen
art Posted - 04/01/2007 : 06:38:43
quote:
When i think of it, it's more 'dying' that scares me then death itself..My faith in God/Jesus makes me less afraid of where I will go after I die..And I have so many loved ones on the other side, we will surely have a huge party.

I've read that 84 percent of the American people believe in survival of the soul after death...82 percent believe in heaven...

69 percent believe in hell and 68 percent believe in the devil...

52 percent believe in ghosts..

Why do I find that utterly depressing?

Is it possible to ask that question without pissing people off? And if one does get pissed off, what might be the underlying reason? Seems to me that a belief is simply a belief, existing outside the realm of ego and emotion...It just is...Or just should be, should it not?

Singer_Artist Posted - 03/31/2007 : 18:59:18
Hi Al,
Just returned from Pet A Palooza, it was amazing! I took a million pics! We donated to wonderful rescue causes, we pet miniature horses, saw tons of fellow basset hounds, it was just a blast! The dogs are so tired, lol..but they had a great time too! Hope everyone's weekend is going good!

As for one's story, i can relate..We all seem to want to hold onto our stories..Sometimes the pain parts are almost even more alluring in a sort of warped way..I would like to live even more in the Now and look forward to better days ahead..When i think of it, it's more 'dying' that scares me then death itself..My faith in God/Jesus makes me less afraid of where I will go after I die..And I have so many loved ones on the other side, we will surely have a huge party..Although, I actually put in a request to be accepted into Dog Heaven!! :))
Take care,
Karen
art Posted - 03/31/2007 : 14:57:40
quote:
Originally posted by altherunner

You're right Art, life is good! And if death was staring me in the face right now, it would be bad! Good point. Ever notice how tms does pile up a big life story, about your pain, or past events? Or, does the big life story bring about the tms? Either way, ditching the story seems like a good idea. Start a new story today, Pet a Palooza day.

That's actually a terrifying idea when you think about it...Who am I without some sort of narrative to swim around in, like some warm and comforting ocean?

My name is not Art...I was not born in Boston Massachusetts in 1951. I never had a dog name Frank. I'm not Jewish. I never went to college. I did not become an alcoholic....That a big one for me. Where would I be without that story, my own personal tale of pain and loss, of overcoming and redemption, the thing that's shaped my idea of myself for the last twenty years or so?

I think I'll go sit in a chair now and have a panic attack...
Singer_Artist Posted - 03/31/2007 : 13:28:36
thanx Al! You are very kind! I have an ice pack on my back as we speak..The back is one of the last places the gremlin hits..It's usually neck, knee, chest..etc..I Refuse to let this TMS monster Ego stop me from taking my doggies w/ my friends to this fun event..I am leaving now..:))
I appreciate your support very much!
Hugs,
K
altherunner Posted - 03/31/2007 : 12:54:17
You're right Art, life is good! And if death was staring me in the face right now, it would be bad! Good point. Ever notice how tms does pile up a big life story, about your pain, or past events? Or, does the big life story bring about the tms? Either way, ditching the story seems like a good idea. Start a new story today, Pet a Palooza day.

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000