TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Travel, Anxiety & the Symptom Imperative

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
pointraisin Posted - 03/30/2007 : 22:42:56
I am a week away from going on a big trip to Europe – a once-in-a-lifetime kind of trip. Many years ago I suffered from panic disorder, got treatment when I was thirty and have been pretty much OK for the past 20 years – except for flying, as I don’t have occasion to do it very often.

I knew in the back of my mind that when I finally got the opportunity to travel abroad that flying would be an issue. Months ago, after I committed to this trip, I developed bad lower back pain and other occasional minor symptoms like heart palpitations. As a long-time Sarno advocate, I knew the pain must be there to keep me from feeling anxiety about the trip. So, I started journaling and getting on with my life.

The back pain became off and on, then spasmed. I haven’t had a back spasm in 20 years - the kind where you can't move. Then recently I got a “catch” in my chest, where you can’t take a deep breath without pain. Hadn’t had one of those in years, either. It only lasted a few hours. My doctor wasn’t concerned, said they can come on from sleeping in the wrong position.

I forgot about it, but it came back a couple of days later. The “catch” went away pretty quickly, but my chest and sometimes upper back feel sore. Of course, when this is bothering me, I’m not getting the lower back pain, so I’m beginning to think it’s the symptom imperative.

Has anyone out there had similar chest symptoms or has anyone had a similar experience with physical symptoms coming on to block travel anxiety?

Thanks for reading my post.
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
pointraisin Posted - 04/01/2007 : 16:25:25
Thanks for all your helpful thoughts. The kindness of strangers is an awesome thing.

Singer_Artist Posted - 04/01/2007 : 11:28:14
Hi Phyllis,
You are so blessed to live there..I have been in your beautiful country and I LOVE IT! Ahhh the drinking chocolate in Paris, now I am getting hungry...LOL! How I long to return there...One day, maybe even retire there as a world renowned artist! The art scene in France is phenomenal! My family is Czechoslovakian...I am a second generation Czech...The language was spoken growing up and the food was eaten..Perhaps that is why my heart has always been in Europe! It makes me happy just thinking about it! I bet if I were there, the TMS pain would magically disappear!
Hugs and God bless,
Karen
phyllis Posted - 04/01/2007 : 09:20:34
Hi there from a European. Of course, Europe is the best place in the whole world!! I hope you are coming to UK where the grass is green and spring is riz.

Honestly, it is so beautiful at the moment. We had a very mild winter with very little frost. Flowers bloomed all the way through and it is magical. I have been outside all day. Don't fret - get the maps our, scour the web for the first stop off city and find things that you are interested in - cafes, restaurants, museums etc. and enjoy.

You are at more danger walking down the road than you are in a plane. I always gawk at the handsome stewards and I love clouds. I find flying fascinating and yet years ago I hated it.

I always chat on the plane and usually make a friend by the time I get off. Also make sure you have a good book to read.

ENJOY ENJOY ENJOY Europe is lovely. I hope you are going to Paris. They have the most divine huge bowls/cups of drinking chocolate. I had to be dragged from cafes when I was there because it was so delicious.

Singer_Artist Posted - 03/31/2007 : 11:30:13
PS..Forgot to mention that I am currently dealing with chest pains and occasional skipped beats..I believe these to be TMS equivalents brought on by anxiety..You are probably having the same thing..The 'catch' feeling when taking a breathe is something I also had years ago and it just went away on its own..I hope you feel better! You have something wonderful to look forward to...:))
Singer_Artist Posted - 03/31/2007 : 11:25:45
Hi Pointraisin,
Europe!!!! Lucky you! You will have a FANTASTIC time...Europe is my favorite place I have ever been to...I was there three times b4 and lived there in Austria, in 1994, singing with an original band..

I have also had pre-trip TMS flare ups..The recent example was after a work out in the gym, just a few days b4 my recent NY trip..The dizziness when turning in bed came back..And that drove me nuts! It was with me for the first day or so of my arrival and then promptly faded away once I settled in..TMS can be very creative in it's ways of attacking us..What Tom said makes alot of sense and I am sure was helpful! I can also tell you that I was a Flight Attendent for Continental Airlines for one year...I learned alot about how SAFE it is to fly..far more safe then driving to the corner store! Keep that in mind and just talk to yourself b4 and during the trip..You could even take a dramamine and sleep for part of the journey!
I wish you a wonderful trip!
Karen
tennis tom Posted - 03/31/2007 : 08:57:11
Hi Pointraisin and Welcome to the forum,

You have it figured out, TMS deja vu. A big positive life-cycle event looming, your European vacation combined with a submerged fear of flying and voila, TMS symptom imperatives popping up all over the place like an unprotected computer.

This time you have the upper-hand having some residual "TMS knowledge penicillin" anti-bodies in your system. I would reccommend a TMS booster. If you don't have the Good Doctor's upgraded rx, THE DIVIDED MIND, perhaps read it. It's the latest and greatest in the same vein.

Your post reminds me of my first TMS date. I stumbled upon Dr. Sarno's first work, a humble little paperback MIND OVER BACK.I t was overshadowed by all the other health tomes in the "Back" section at a Clean Well Lightend Place for Books, at Larkspur Landing in NorCal. I leafed through it while in excruscitaing pain after a Yoga class.

I came upon the story of a Sarno patient in a similar situation to yours. He was scheduled for a bicycle tour vacation and developed TMS back pain. He couldn't get out of bed. He saw the Good Doctor, got he "cure" and pedaled on his merry way.

You did the right thing, saw your doctor, found nothing serious, no tumor, likely leaving TMS. Now you are TMS equipped and can play the gremlin rather than him playing you.

From a semantic point, I would only like to point out that anxiety is also a TMS affective (emotional) equivalent distracting you from the dealing with your fear of flying and the upcoming disruption of your normal homeostasis back on your home court.

I used to have some fear of flying and everytime the plane made a noise or had a vibraion I got scared. Then I saw a TV documentary on commercial aviation showing how they tested passenger jets. They do all kinds of acrobatics with those monsters, loop-de-loops, figure eights, fly 'em upside-down and side-ways. After that, I looked forward to bumpy flights like an A-ticket at Disneyland. Request an aisle seat if you like to walk around or a window to look at the scenery, don't get stuck in a middle seat.

Bon Voyage!
tt

some of my favorite excerpts from 'TDM' : http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2605
salamander Posted - 03/31/2007 : 01:08:33
Hi pointraisin,

I've been guilty of coming up with all kinds of pre-trip TMS problems. The best advice that I can give is to have the time of your life and decide that you are going to enjoy it no matter what. I've traveled with bad backs, fever... you name it and I've damn near sabotaged my trip. Traveling is stressful, even thought you could call it a good stress.

TMS tried to sabatage my last trip to Europe by giving me a dose of plantar fascitis (sp?). I toughed my way through it until it went away. The bottom line is that if it is TMS, then it will diminish through will power. Despite any symptoms, throw yourself into the trip. TMS is harmless, although painful. Tell yourself that for this period of time (the duration of your trip), I WILL be impervious to pain or other issues.

When the problem comes up, laugh and say...."not this time".

have fun,

Doug

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000