TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Newbie with Question on Bike Seats

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
kataraika Posted - 03/27/2007 : 12:46:27
Hello everybody. I've had "chronic pelvic pain syndrome" (formerly known as "chronic nonbacterial prostatitis") for approximately seven months. The pain is focused in my perineum but spreads throughout the groin area when it gets bad. I'm a triathlete and orginally blamed the pain on my cycling because the "aero" position I ride in puts a lot of pressure on the perineum and is known to restrict blood flow and cause nerve damage, impotence, etc. Having read Dr. Sarno's books and a bunch of other materials/websites, and having reached a dead end with my physicians/urologists (the condition is well known and remarkably common, but the medical community does not know what causes it or how to cure it) I'm now convinced I have TMS (the books describe me to a T, and I've had some improvement in my symptoms since applying their methodology). I'm wrestling with the apparent conflict between Dr. Sarno's advice of resuming normal physical activity/not being intimidated by the pain, and his theory that TMS is cuased by reduced blood/oygen flow to the affected areas. If I overcome my fear of getting back on the bike and resume that "normal activity," the pressure from the bike seat will reduce the blood flow to the affected area (this is well established by many scientify studies, and most urologists believe that bike seats are a public health menance), and thus will produce the opposite result of the TMS cure -- i,e., restoring normal blood flow/oxygen to the affected area. Two days ago, and for the first time in the last several months, I went for a 45 minute bike ride to show my subconscious that I wouldn't be "concerned or intimidated by the pain." I ended up in agony for the rest of that day and the next, but am somewhat better today. I don't know whether this flare up was caused by my fear/conditioning of being on the bike, or by the restricted blood flow caused by the bike seat, or both. Do you think it's best that I stay off the bike until the pain goes away completely, or will the pain never be gone unless I face my fear and get on the bike and just keep getting on the bike no matter how much it hurts? Many thanks for any advice you can give me.
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
kataraika Posted - 03/27/2007 : 18:02:36
Thanks for the thoughts. I have tried the perineum-friendly bike seats and even bought a new bike last week that has a more relaxed geometry/upright riding position. The company that makes the bike seat I'm using (ismseat.com) claims that their bike seat permits 100% blood flow in the 60-degree upright position I'm riding in, but I have my doubts as to credibility of those sorts of claims. My current set up is definitely better than my old seat and bike, but I suspect there is at least some reduced blood flow. Numbness in that area is experienced by most riders after a long ride, but it generally goes away. The experience of pain, however, and pain that doesn't go away, is much more rare and therefore most likely TMS. I think I'll give the books a little more time to build up my confidence in the diagnosis before jumping back on again.
armchairlinguist Posted - 03/27/2007 : 16:25:18
quote:
most urologists believe that bike seats are a public health menance

Most physical therapists think keyboards are a public health menace. But RSI is a form of TMS. Don't buy into what the urologists say. It is to their advantage to propagate this view.

Lots of people ride bikes every day, happily and healthily, with no problems. You ought to be able to as well.

They make many seats designed to reduce the kind of pressure you're talking about. I assume you've tried some? In my understanding these are thought to be more comfortable and healthier. I certainly like mine. :-) Ideally with these seats the majority of the pressure is on the sit-bones, and not much if any on the perineum and forward. You can even get seats with no support in the front at all, though that takes practice to use.

If I were you I would wait to get back on the bike until you have confidence that you are dealing with TMS. Too early and you'll just activate the conditioning again, as you did recently. Also, Sarno and related materials suggest that you build up gradually -- e.g. don't go out for 45 min to start with. Try 5, 10, 20 min, to increase your confidence gradually.

--
Wherever you go, there you are.
shawnsmith Posted - 03/27/2007 : 14:18:19
quote:
Originally posted by kataraika

If I overcome my fear of getting back on the bike and resume that "normal activity," the pressure from the bike seat will reduce the blood flow to the affected area (this is well established by many scientify studies, and most urologists believe that bike seats are a public health menance), and thus will produce the opposite result of the TMS cure -- i,e., restoring normal blood flow/oxygen to the affected area.

If that is what you expect to happen that is what will happen.

Sarno-ize it!
Singer_Artist Posted - 03/27/2007 : 13:25:35
Hi Kataraika,
I understand your dilemma...I would say to read Dr. Sarno's books, watch his incredible videotapes, if you can and do the journalling...There is no harm in doing the TMS work and treating it as TMS while watching your symptoms to make sure you are okay...As for whether you should keep exercising, that is a tough call...I am dealing with something similiar in one way...I stopped working out in the gym for many months, and just started again 2 days ago...I don't mind regular muscle soreness, but I am getting sharper pains and in places typical to when my neck and back TMS act up...Part of me wants to hold off on working out til the pain subsides,,,the TMS aware side of me wants to push through (gently) the pain and keep working out...Try to pray or meditate on it (if you do either)..and listen to your inner voice...What is it telling you to do?
Hope this helps in some way,
Karen
art Posted - 03/27/2007 : 13:14:09
Hey Kat,

The kind of blood flow reduction Sarno is talking about it minimal and benign..I'm not even sure he's completely married to the blood flow explanation of TMS, though others will no doubt be able to discuss that more knowledgably than I..

Were you a runner I'd without hesitation tell you to go out and run. At first glance though, this seems like a legitimate complication and I'm not sure what to tell you...If you're convinced it's TMS, my sense is that the blood flow restriction, to the extent it even exists, would not make you any more susceptible to genuine injury than anyone else...

Maybe it might help to look for analogies...I'm a runner and wore orthotics for years because I thought I needed them...When I learned about TMS, even though I was convinced that I was a prime candidate, I had a lot of fear around the issue of just abruptly discarding them because I thought years of orthotic use must have altered the muscles in my feet and legs, at least temporarily...So while I was pretty sure I had TMS I thought this introduced a complicating variable that I couldn't just dismiss..

But in the end, I just stopped wearing them cold turkey and I've not had occasion to regret that..

Granted, the two situations are not perfectly analogous, but I hope it helps a little...The main theme around here is that those of us who suffer from TMS are generally able to do the things we love without fear of injury....Complications of the sort you talk about are almost always just part of the resistance and fear we all have when we first get here...

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000