TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 The Origin of Fear

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
altherunner Posted - 03/21/2007 : 21:40:48
Here is a quote from "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle, that applies to some ego battles on the forum:
page 36
Fear seems to have many causes. Fear of loss, fear of failure, fear of being hurt, and so on, but ultimately all fear is the ego's fear of death, of annihilation. To the ego, death is always just around the corner. In this mind identified state, fear of death affects every aspect of your life. For example, even such a seemingly trivial and"normal" thing as the compulsive need to be right in an arguement and make the other person wrong - defending the mental position with which you have indentified - is due to the fear of death.
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
tennis tom Posted - 03/22/2007 : 08:57:47
Good post Al, thanks for the clarification. I was getting my ego all revved up for some displacement therapy.

If it's any consolation Dr. Sarno writes about his own road rage in TDM on page 95:

"I'll admit that this is very familiar to me since I do it all the time, much to the distress of my wife when she is in the car."
altherunner Posted - 03/22/2007 : 05:53:11
No - one in particular, tt, my ego gets going as much as anyone's.
When I pause and look at what I am upset or arguing about, or mad about, like a traffic jam, the silliness of it stands out, the anger goes away. If I can accept "what is", rather than resist it,life becomes a little easier. My relationships at home and work have improved. No more road rage, either. Ego curtailment may cause fear and anger to diminish, and pain and suffering to ease off, as well.
My friend is a stock trader, and one piece of advice he gave someone was not to try to "be right" when trading. The markets don't seem to care if you are"right", and you get trashed. I enjoy your posts, no criticism towards you (or your ego) intended.
tennis tom Posted - 03/22/2007 : 00:40:19
quote:
Originally posted by altherunner

Here is a quote from "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle, that applies to some ego battles on the forum:

...For example, even such a seemingly trivial and"normal" thing as the compulsive need to be right in an arguement and make the other person wrong - defending the mental position with which you have indentified - is due to the fear of death.

Interesting side-bar fellas, which "ego-battles" might you'll be referring to? Would you care to name any names. I sense some pet-poodleism going on.

Cheers,
tt
altherunner Posted - 03/21/2007 : 22:29:25
I'll check the library for that one, thanks, Art.
art Posted - 03/21/2007 : 22:08:14
A good book to read along these lines is "Denial of Death" by Becker...A challenging read, but amazingly insightful...

Freud was wrong....It's not sex that informs evrything, it's death,

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000