TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Sciatica and drop foot

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
funkychicken Posted - 03/20/2007 : 06:22:18
Greetings. I've been suffering from sciatica for the past couple of months. More recently, I've developed a severe burning sensation in my lower leg and and am also experiencing drop foot (or floppy foot syndrome). I've read John Sarno's book and am willing to accept that there may be an emotional rather than physical cause. However, his suggestion that I resume physical activity is impossible, as the floppy foot means I can't walk without tripping myself up and I also have great difficulty with stairs. Lack of sleep from the burning sensation has also resulted in lack of energy.

I've had a good think about my emotional state and the only major problem with my life is this pesky condition! I have recently moved in with my partner, which I'm very happy about. However, what should be an exciting time for us both has been marred by the fact that there's very little I can do for myself. It's not very romantic having to be virtually lifted in and out of the bath, although I know I'm very fortunate to be with someone so supportive. I'm normally very independent and our living together has been precipitated by my physical condition (the pain preceded the move).

The doctor has prescribed pills which essentially sedate me and I don't want to be on them long term. I'm also on the waiting list for a discectomy.

Has anyone out there suffered a similar set of symptoms? Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance

Catherine
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
wharrison Posted - 07/07/2007 : 05:01:30
Funkychicken, were you ever able to resolve the drop foot issue?
I have it to and it is very annoying. A good distraction.
Stryder Posted - 03/23/2007 : 17:39:31
Hi Catherine,

So having issues (1) thru (6), while truly distressing, is in my non-doctor opinion, a state in which you can treat your condition as TMS. (7) and (8) would signal a serious condition and prompt medical attention. You should have already seen your doctor to rule out any serious condition.

I have never had the brace, but I have heard that it can help you walk again. Gradually returning to "normal" (walking) activity is probably the best thing you can shoot for. Doing your TMS work and walking as much as you can should start you on the road to recovery.

Just take is slow at first, its going to take time (weeks, months), but keep at your TMS work and retrain your brain. Eventually you will gain back the strength in your calf muscle and you will be able to loose the brace.

Take care, -Stryder
tennis tom Posted - 03/22/2007 : 09:45:02
Hi Cathrine,

Very interesting co-incidence about your mortgage! I have a suggestion about your mobility. From here I can't tell your limits but it sounds like you can barely walk if your partner is having to lift you in and out of the tub.

I have some walking issues myself but nothing close to yours. I did go through this with my 84 year old father. Two years ago, he had a fall and "took to bed". We tried getting him to use a walker and a standard wheelchair to no avail.

He got excited about getting an elcctric wheelchair. I did some research and found one that was the cheapest, lightest and most easy to fold up and transport in a small car. It's called the A'TM, (like up and a'tm). He took to it right away and was a good substitute for driving his car which he missed very much. After seeing how sharp his skills are with this mobility device I am going to see if he can drive his car again. He can really wheel the thing around the retirement village. I've even thought of getting one for myself to get me to the far courts and for after playing tennis all day having to hang onto the walls to limp home.

The A'TM is quite a sporty looking rig. I got him one in candy apple red and it looks like fun like scooting around in a go-cart. When I see his fellow old-timers trudging along in their walkers at the retirement ranch, I think of what fun they could be having if they would don helmets and race each other around to the Grill.

I know at 21 this may sound a bit extreme for you. Or maybe you could look into one of those Segway devices. It's just an idea to regain your independence of movement until your TMS resolves.

Good Luck!
tt
funkychicken Posted - 03/22/2007 : 05:10:33
Thank you all for your responses. Your help and support has been much appreciated. I tried the Stress Test and scored rather highly. Tennis Tom's mortgage comment was rather interesting, as I'm due to pay mine off tomorrow, after having had huge financial responsibility since the age of 21. This is enabling me to fund a career change, as I can now afford to halve my salary. Although I'm very excited by all of this, I can now appreciate from your input that such changes are, nevertheless, stressful.

Unfortunately, my lack of mobility is such that there is no way I'd be able to use a public swimming pool. My improved financial situation isn't so great that I can have one at home!

In answer to Stryder's questions, I'm suffering the following:

(1) Pain
(2) Numbness
(3) Pins and needles
(4) Burning
(5) Loss of strength
(6) Muscle atrophy

The brace suggestion is excellent, thank you. I now have an appointment to get one fitted on Monday. My partner will be at home all of next week, so will be able to get me outside so I can build up my strength.

Anyway, thank you all.

Best wishes

Catherine
tennis tom Posted - 03/22/2007 : 00:03:13
quote:
Originally posted by funkychicken

I have recently moved in with my partner, which I'm very happy about. However, what should be an exciting time for us both has been marred by the fact that there's very little I can do for myself.

Catherine

Hi Cathrine,

The emotional situation that triggers TMS does NOT have to necessarily be a negative one. Positive changes in one's social situation can also trigger TMS psychosomatic symptoms. Any life-cycle change that upsets one's homeostasis can do it.

See the Holmes-Rahe list of life events on page 26 of THE MINDBODY PRESCRIPION for examples. The one that alaways pops into my mind is "taking out a mortgage" can be a trigger and "paying off a mortgage" as well.

Your lack of energy and sleep disorders may be due to depression caused by your condition.

Your decision to not take meds is a good one as far as being able to have clearer insight into the emotional causes of TMS.

If you cannot exercise due to your symptom, I always recommend swimming or deep water running, this will also help prevent depression and energize you for the rigors of doing the emotional TMS work.

You may want to rethink your disectomy if you have TMS.

Good Luck!
tt

(Sorry for being repetitive, hadn't read the replies before posting mine. Looks like we're doing some parallel TMS thinking, that's a good thing).
Stryder Posted - 03/21/2007 : 21:13:52
Which of these do you have...

(1) Pain
(2) Numbness
(3) Pins and needles
(4) Burning
(5) Loss of strength
(6) Muscle atrophy
(7) Bowel / bladder problems
(8) Your doctor says you are in danger

In the short term, while you are coming to grips if this is TMS, you can get a plastic brace device that goes on the back of your lower leg and under your heel, bascially an angle brace (that flexes some), to help give you some control over your drop foot. This is not a cure by any means, but it may help you mobile while you are working on the true cause of your pain and disfunction.

Let us know your answers to the above questions.

Take care, -Stryder
armchairlinguist Posted - 03/20/2007 : 11:43:17
quote:
I've had a good think about my emotional state and the only major problem with my life is this pesky condition! I have recently moved in with my partner, which I'm very happy about. However, what should be an exciting time for us both has been marred by the fact that there's very little I can do for myself.

Hi Catherine,

Like SS says, positive events can be as stressful as negative ones. Also, if a positive event is being marred, then that can create even more stress, as the positive part is being further messed up.

You may also need to look further back into your life. Sometimes the triggering event for pain is a relatively minor one, but it builds on various issues that have accumulated over time.

Resuming activity is mainly recommended when you have established some confidence in the TMS diagnosis and recovered physically to a point where it's appropriate. No need to push yourself when you are not yet able.

--
Wherever you go, there you are.
sonora sky Posted - 03/20/2007 : 07:53:20
hi funkychicken, welcome to the forum. Even positive events (happy, exciting times) in our lives can be great stressors. Getting married or moving in with a new partner can be just as stressful as losing your job or experiencing the loss of a loved one. Take a look at the Holmes-Rahe stress test (google it or take the test here):

http://www.geocities.com/beyond_stretched/holmes.htm

Return to normal activity *gradually*, as the TMS theories sink in. Keep reading Sarno and exploring your emotional state. Many have found that journaling helps. (Do a search on this forum for "journaling" and you'll find many suggestions on how to get started.)

good luck,
ss

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000