TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 HELP, I Am Scared/TMS

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
kalo Posted - 03/17/2007 : 16:35:17
Hi Everyone,

It's been a year since I've been on this forum.

I know you are not doctors, but does this sound like TMS?
I have developed slight numbness on the front of my foot near my big toe that shoots up to on the right side of my lower shine area.

What is weird about this sensation is I discovered it while shaving my leg (sorry to be so graphic) and it almost felt a doctor gave me a shot of novacane to numb a portion of that area. When I touch it is when I notice the numbness...It's NOT real numb, but it freaks me out.

The worst part is I started to surf the internet and started reading about MS, and ALS and scared the crap out of myself.

Now, because I am thinking about this so much the numbness feels like it is getting worst.

I've been a member of this board for quite some time, however did not post anything because I was feeling well. I have read Dr. Sarno's book Mind, Body Prescription and TOTALLY believe.

Let me also explain that I find this very unusual and think it could be stress because I've been under ALOT of stress.

Could this numbness sensation (ONLY when I touch) be TMS? I don't know if I should see a doctor, however, I know I should NOT be surfing the web.

Thanks in advance, Kalo!
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
kalo Posted - 03/19/2007 : 10:15:05
Hi, TennisTom,

I called this morning and have an early appointment to see him. I will keep you all posted on what he tells me.

I am hoping it will just be TMS.

Thanks for your response!
tennis tom Posted - 03/18/2007 : 23:37:42
quote:
Originally posted by kalo

I know this is going to sound wierd, but if my doc. think's it's nothing to worry about then I will think TMS and attribute it to the STRESS in my life.

That's not weird at all Kalo. That's exactly what you should be concluding. If you saw Dr. Sarno he would first examine you in a conventional manner to determine if you have a legitimate medical condition.

Modern conventional medicine is very good at finding and diagnoseing abnormalities. The problem from a TMS perspective, is when dx's attribute pain to benign abnormalities. For example bulging discs that Dr. Sarno refers to as "gray hair of the spine".

All self-help medical books including Dr. Sarno's reccommend being examined by a medical doctor to eliminate serious disease conditions and rightfully so. Most of the time it's TMS related.

So get checked out and let us know if they find anything, hopefully not.
kalo Posted - 03/18/2007 : 18:30:01
quote:
First, STAY AWAY FROM RESEARCHING SYMPTOMS ON THE INTERNET! If you have hypochondriacal tendencies as I do, it will drive you absolutely nuts. Why? Because you will always read about symptoms of horrible diseases that match your own symptoms. And because you will never be able to rule out 100% that you have that disease, you will have no peace.

Wrldtv, you are so right because from research on the internet (Yesterday) I did drive myself nuts and anxiety made the symptons worst. As much as I hate to admit this I think I do have a little hypochondria in me.

quote:
Second, In my case, I am pretty clear now that my symptoms were stress-related, psychosomatic, whatever you want to call it, but not physical. Of course, as some of the others said, you might want to get your symptoms checked out, if only for your peace of mind.

Well, like I said I've been under a lot of stress lately, so here is hoping my is psychosomatic as well. But being that I scared myself into a panic from researching the net yesterday, I might as well just get it checked out to give me peace mind.

Thanks for your response!
wrldtrv Posted - 03/18/2007 : 18:07:25
Kalo,

I have been where you are. A little over a year ago I was plagued for several months by various neuro symptoms (and also 4 yrs before that). Both times, I had ALL the tests and nothing was ever found. If you do a search under "MS" or other neuro keywords you can read all about it.

There are two points I want to make:

First, STAY AWAY FROM RESEARCHING SYMPTOMS ON THE INTERNET! If you have hypochondriacal tendencies as I do, it will drive you absolutely nuts. Why? Because you will always read about symptoms of horrible diseases that match your own symptoms. And because you will never be able to rule out 100% that you have that disease, you will have no peace.

Second, In my case, I am pretty clear now that my symptoms were stress-related, psychosomatic, whatever you want to call it, but not physical. Of course, as some of the others said, you might want to get your symptoms checked out, if only for your peace of mind.
kalo Posted - 03/18/2007 : 17:35:53
THANK YOU, for all your responses!!!

I am very overwhelmed (in a GOOD WAY) to all your responses!!!

I think the internet NEVER helps because it causes MORE pshycosomatic symptons. To be honest since I've searched the net my symptons worsen.

It just goes to show me the POWER of suggestion. However, just to make sure I am going to see my doc.

I know this is going to sound wierd, but if my doc. think's it's nothing to worry about then I will think TMS and attribute it to the STRESS in my life.

Like I said if I a certain part of my shin and front foot then feels like I have a little of novacan, however, if I leave it alone and don't pay attention to anything it's like I don't notice it is numb.

Dr. Sarno would probably tell me "then don't touch that area and get back to the gym", LOL

Thanks again and I'll keep everyone posted!!!!
FlyByNight Posted - 03/18/2007 : 16:02:22
KAlo,

The neuro symptoms are indeed very scary and you are right they are very often attributed to degenerative desease like MS and ALS. When I experience neuro symptoms, I try to see if it comes and go acording to specific situations (any slightest source of stress) and I try to also see if the symptoms change in ways that could not be expected with MS and ALS. For instance. When I drink a glass of wine and I talk with friends, the neuro symptoms are often fading a bit. Same thing when I exercise for more than 10 minutes ... Sometimes when I journal, the neuro symptoms are also fading..

Please note that I am not talking about symptoms disappearing, im talking about fading. Getting rid of the symtoms instantaneously after reading sarno is , unfortunately , a very strong subconscious effect that not all TMS ers are experiencing. We must stay humble towards our recovery to get it work ... From what I understand now , our tendency to want it to work NOW is part of the basic problem actually.

Anyways, maybe im wrong but the situations I mention above are to me pretty strong signs that the neuro symptoms are coming from reduced blood flow rather than from a demyelination of the nerve outlayer (such as in ALS) which would not respond to such situations and would continue to degenerate, in a pretty short period of time actually.

Try to correlate the variations of your symptoms with your mood, mindset and the activities you are doing... It may help you see a clearer picture of your personal case.

Also , if you had many TMS equivalents in your medical history, things that scared you alot but disappeared instantaneously out of the blue, this may help you realize that your personality may contribute to your symptoms .

Regards

P.

Victoria008 Posted - 03/18/2007 : 14:59:16
When I first started having my strange symptoms, I too searched the web. Nothing really fit, but I did have some symptoms of MS. Oh did that freak me out! Many years ago I used to read a large medical book we had, I would find so many diseases (based on my symptoms) I could have that I would live in a state of fear I developed MS, Myasthevia gravis, Fibroid tumors, and other things I don't remember. I finally threw that book away, but it just shows how easy it is to become afraid of our own bodies. We are bombarded by the diseases on TV and elsewhere. Have you ever noticed magazine covers in the checkout line? "What your Dr. won't tell you!" "The silent disease!" "The medical test everyone should have!" etc, etc. I even watch "House" and think: Oh, do I have that symptom? I wish I could have Dr. House examine me. I must say, I was really releived when I read about others on this forum with neurological symptoms. Those were the scariest for me. I had a lot of numbness, tingling etc, in my hands and feet. Since learning of TMS and letting go of some (not all) of my fear, those symptoms are very rare now. But if you're are anything like me, you won't feel better until you see your Dr. I just finally convinced my Dr. to give me a stress test, cuz I have a lot of chest pain, and it's the fear of it that keeps it going, I have a hard time doing the "accept as harmless and temporary" with it. I believe that once I get it and it turns out my heart is fine, that niggling symptom will go away as well.

Victoria
yowire Posted - 03/18/2007 : 13:32:52
Hi Kalo,

What you are describing is a very common psychosomatic symptom, often reported by fibromyalgia patients. However, you must see a doctor and get this checked out anyway just to be sure.

Yowire
Littlebird Posted - 03/18/2007 : 13:30:29
Before I learned of TMS I was reading a forum for people with MS and I discovered that there were many people there who had neuro symptoms but whose tests also showed no signs of MS. Once I read about TMS and got rid of my neuro sx (symptoms), I realized that there are many people who believe they have MS, even though there's nothing in the tests to indicate that, when most likely what they actually have is probably TMS. Many of the people talked about distressing situations that were going on in their lives when their sx first started, and they assumed that stress was causing them to develop MS, but really it's much more likely that their stressful experiences were causing them to develop TMS, and that's why their tests don't show any signs of MS.

Since you have been under a lot of stress, it seems like odds are that this is a TMS thing that you'll be able to overcome by reflecting on the anger and emotional pain that your stressful situation has caused.

Take care! Corey
kalo Posted - 03/17/2007 : 18:32:32

quote:
When I first learned of TMS I was having numerous neurological symptoms, including what you are describing, and had been told it could be MS, but all tests were negative for that

Oh, Oh, Littlebird your quote up above is kind of freaking me out. You were told that you could have MS and you had the same symptons I have been experiencing

quote:
So TMS could be the cause of your symptoms. If things get worse, you may want to get it checked out, of course, but hopefully knowing that TMS can cause these sensations will be enough for you to get rid of this.

YOUR RIGHT, it's probably TMS as I would think IF it was MS I would have more and worst symptons then what I am describing.

Thank you for your response!

Littlebird Posted - 03/17/2007 : 17:53:47
Hi Kalo,

When I first learned of TMS I was having numerous neurological symptoms, including what you are describing, and had been told it could be MS, but all tests were negative for that. Within a short time of reading The Divided Mind, Freedom from Fibromyalgia, and Pain Free for Life, all of the neuro symptoms went away. Sometimes they try to flare up, but I think about whatever may be bothering me and they disappear within a day or so. (I still have other symptoms I working on, but no neuro stuff now.) So TMS could be the cause of your symptoms. If things get worse, you may want to get it checked out, of course, but hopefully knowing that TMS can cause these sensations will be enough for you to get rid of this.
kalo Posted - 03/17/2007 : 17:07:17
Hi oz_tgap,

Well, the reason why I am scared is because this is a NEW sympton and I only discovered it a couple of days ago.

I started doing research on the Internet to see what then numbing problem is didn't help either. It brought up MS and other neuro muscular diseases.

Funny thing is only when I touch it do I feel the numbness like I can't even feel that something is touching my lower shin to lower foot.

And, now that I am putting a lot of thinking into this thinking that I NOW have a neuro muscular disease, I am sure it doesn't help

Like I said I am going through some stresses in my life and what I think is wierd is my Mom was just diagnosed with RDS (reflect Dystrophy Syndrome). She got this after she had plaque built up surgery.

I don't believe in RDS, don't want to tell my Mom this because she is suffering...

But, now I have this weird thing going on in my leg and it scares me a little.

Sounds like TMS, eh?

Thanks again for your response!
oz_tgap Posted - 03/17/2007 : 16:41:45
Kalo,

If you totally believe Sarno's ideas and believe you have TMS, why are you scared? The knowledge you have should tell you that there is a way to address the problem.

-Paul

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000