TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Keeping it all in perspective

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
sensei adam rostocki Posted - 03/02/2007 : 12:48:57
I just finished reading through the vast archives of this wonderful board. I wish I knew this was available when I myself was trying to cure my own psychological back pain. Board members should be very proud of this incredible resource that each of you has helped to create.

In reading many, many, many posts, I could not help by notice one disturbing trend among some posters. Some of you really understand TMS so well, yet continue to look at yourselves as a patient. You recognize the psychological origin of the pain and accept the TMS diagnosis. However, you still focus on the pain and especially the new manifestations of your own personal symptom imperative. It is a bit of an obsession and it must be overcome in order to recover.

Simply acknowledging that the pain and all related symptoms come from a psychosomatic causation is not enough to enact a true cure for TMS. You have to stop thinking about the physical pain altogether and get back to a “normal” life. Saying, “Oh this new symptom is part of my TMS” simply perpetuates the syndrome by acknowledging the physical symptom as having value and worthiness of your attention.

To keep this post super simple…

Try to acknowledge the physical nature of any new symptoms for only a moment and move on. Do not obsess over them. Do not wonder about them. Instead, skip right over them to think about the psychological reason for their occurrence. This is a trained response that all of you can learn. It is key to enacting a permanent cure. As you become more and more in tune with the reasons why your pain moves, changes and adjusts, you can actually prevent it from occurring when you sense an emotionally charged mindset within yourself.

This post is by no means a criticism. It is simply an observation meant with the wholehearted intention of providing some help and a reminder of one of the most basic concepts of TMS treatment.

THINK PSYCHOLOGICAL.

My best to you all. Sincerely, Sensei Adam Rostocki

3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
altherunner Posted - 03/02/2007 : 20:16:52
"Symptom imperative" is a key that you mentioned, also described in The Divided Mind. Tonight, while reading"Everyday Wisdom For Success"
by Dr. Wayne Dyer, this quote stood out:" No one can create negativity or stress within you. Only you can do that by the virtue of how you process your world."
Wavy Soul Posted - 03/02/2007 : 18:20:06
Yes, this is very true, rostocki.

I'm on it!

Love is the answer, whatever the question
Karma Posted - 03/02/2007 : 17:46:52
I think this is one of the reasons I still have mild twinges of "something" in my back throughout the day though NOWHERE as bad as it was 6 months ago. I've hit a plateau and think it is now a matter of reprogramming myself to live like I did before I ever had back pain. I'm learning that unconscious programming is very easy, conscious reprogramming is much harder!

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000