TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Physical Therapy Question.....

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
seven Posted - 03/01/2007 : 10:50:52
About three years ago I started the Egoscue method of physical therapy for my back pain. I have been doing it for 3 years, until I started treating my pain as TMS, and the therapy did not stop the pain of course. But it did correct my posture as I am a barber and have a tendency to have rounded shoulders and my neck slants forwards from barbering.

The physical therapy over a period of 3 years corrected my posture but I stopped doing it when I started addressing my back pain after reading the doctors books and journaling.

I am about 60-80% pain free and decided I would start back doing the physical therapy as my wife said my posture was getting bad again. I told my brain "I am doing this for my posture ONLY and know the pain is coming from my brain and has nothing to do with my back or my posture.

As soon as I started back using the Egoscue physical therapy, that very day, within minutes my back started hurting very, very bad. It went all the way back to hurting like before addressing the TMS. I skipped the physical therapy the next day and my back is back to being 60-80% pain free.

My question is, being I am doing the physical therapy for my posture only, should I continue with the therapy and try to ignore the pain and work through the pain or should I just stop? I cant decide if my brain thinks I am trying to correct the pain with the physical therapy or if it is just trying to bully me into doing what it wants. Any advise for experience posters?

Thank you,

Jimmy
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
seven Posted - 03/02/2007 : 05:54:13
quote:
Originally posted by Dave

In Healing Back Pain Dr. Sarno is pretty clear about why he never recommends physical therapy.

When he prescribed PT for his patients, it hindered their progress, even though they were doing it for pain relief only.

The fact is, you cannot talk to your unconscious mind. You cannot "convince yourself" that you are doing PT for posture only. Your unconscious mind siezed the opportunity to re-introduce TMS symptoms.

PT in any form is contradictory to Dr. Sarno's method. You do not need PT to correct your posture. Just become aware of when you are hunched over and make a conscious effort to stand up straight. Your body is capable of good posture all on its own. It is a miraculous machine.

Dave,

Your response makes sense to me. Thank you!

My unconscious mind LOVED it when I returned to PT to correct my posture and seized the opportunity to put pain back on me big time!! I would rather have poor posture than back-pain! Well, actually I would prefer to have both but would rather be pain free.

Thanks,

Jimmy
Dave Posted - 03/01/2007 : 20:19:03
In Healing Back Pain Dr. Sarno is pretty clear about why he never recommends physical therapy.

When he prescribed PT for his patients, it hindered their progress, even though they were doing it for pain relief only.

The fact is, you cannot talk to your unconscious mind. You cannot "convince yourself" that you are doing PT for posture only. Your unconscious mind siezed the opportunity to re-introduce TMS symptoms.

PT in any form is contradictory to Dr. Sarno's method. You do not need PT to correct your posture. Just become aware of when you are hunched over and make a conscious effort to stand up straight. Your body is capable of good posture all on its own. It is a miraculous machine.
westcoastram Posted - 03/01/2007 : 11:06:22
Jimmy,

I think I know what you're going through. I've had similar experiences. Try reminding yourself that you know where your pain comes from and what it is - TMS. Tell yourself that your just conditioned to have the pain when you do these exercises since your started them in response to what you thought was a physical problem.

I still get pain in the old sites when I go back to the gym and do an old exercise that I haven't done in years (ie, before the pain). After a quick reminder to myself that I do a million things a day that would cause such a pain if it were structural and that the pain is TMS, I'm usually able to carry on without pain.

Another scenario is that you try one of many different exercise techniques that will help posture: yoga, weight-lifting, etc... I'd bet dollar to donuts that you don't have as much problem with them (lack of conditioned reflex) and they will only bolster your confidence to do the exercises you were doing before pain free.
tennis tom Posted - 03/01/2007 : 11:04:43
Jimmy7,

I went through Egoscue's program in Delmar CA., several times and discussed Dr. Sarno with Peter Egoscue. He has had lively discussions with the Good Doctor.

SEARCH "Egoscue" and some relavant posts may come up. Talk to ya' later I gotta' jump in the pool now and get my butt to work, (to open up more junk mail from the Dalai Lama probably).

My ladyfriend is a hair-stylist so I can empathize with the mindbody trials of your profession.

Good Luck, no worries, the back is strong.

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000