TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Do I have TMS?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
chrisb89 Posted - 02/25/2007 : 19:31:07
Ok I'm a 26 year old male always been in decent shape and work out
regularly. About six months ago I noticed when I would leave the
gym my neck would be very stiff, but it would be fine by the time I
got home so I ignored it.

Three months ago I woke up with some lower back pain and ignored it
because it didn't seem too major. I kept running and doing weights
for about two weeks, and then I finally stopped because it was
getting worse. In this time the pain had travelled and now is all
over my back and also my shoulders and neck. X-rays showed nothing
and I started PT with very little help, I've also done bikram yoga
which seems to help a little, and hot showers all the time feel good.

I've had a couple massages and the lady says I have more knots and
am tighter than anyone she has ever seen on the right side (above
the waist) and on the left side (below the waist). I now have mild
pain 24/7 and if I stand or sit for too long the pain can get a lot
worse (really when standing it is the worse, in the upper back - standing for 30 minutes is brutal - although when I run or walk the pain isn't too bad). I've also been depressed the last 2 months because of the pain, which I know worsens my condition but I can't help it because I can't do any of my usual activities and it depresses me. I google "back pain" 24/7 and am constantly thinking about my condition. There isn't really any activity I CAN'T do, it just hurts.

I had an MRI today but the doctors don't expect to find anything... Results in a few days. My questions are:

1. Does this sound like TMS? Specifically the tender points, knots, and trigger points that the massage therapist sees and feels - can these physical changes be brought on by TMS (she touches one and she says she sees the muscles contracting in other areas).

2. If it is TMS then what do I do while I wait for the book I ordered off amazon? I can think of a number of things that may be repressed in me - I feel the need to always please people and as such let my friends walk all over me, I also at times make up lies and stories to validate myself to others and get them to accept me. I also hate my job and my boss. What should I do with these thoughts? Should I think about them and try to make myself mad, should I try and remember all the things I repressed in the past or just focus on one or two?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
armchairlinguist Posted - 02/27/2007 : 00:16:34
Your symptoms are very different from mine which were primarily RSI with upper back pain. As ss said, don't focus on the specific symptoms. If you do want to read my SuccessStory you can search the site or it's in this thread:

http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2366&SearchTerms=successstory

I stand by what I said about trigger points. I believe that chronic trigger points are a TMS mechanism, not a disorder unto themselves. (Temporary pain alleviated by doing points is just that: temporary soreness from mild overuse that will go away quickly on its own and quicker with a little help.)

--
Wherever you go, there you are.
tennis tom Posted - 02/26/2007 : 22:23:46
"I hope this makes sense."
ss

It makes very good sense!
sonora sky Posted - 02/26/2007 : 21:27:35
Just a note: don't get too attached to your and others' specific symptoms. This doesn't have too much to do with how you will recover from TMS. Everybody recovers differently and it has little to do with what part of your body is ailing you. It has more to do with your personality, life stressors, buried emotions, etc, and how you learn how to navigate the healing process. Throughout your recovery, you will likely find you have more in common with people on the board that have had other symptoms, such as RSI, fibro, migraines, etc., not necessarily back pain with the same characteristics as yours.

I hope this makes sense.

ss
chrisb89 Posted - 02/26/2007 : 20:30:24
Thanks for the reply Armchair. Could you give a little more detail on your story. Were your symptoms similar to mine? how long did it take you to recover? How are you doing now? Are the trigger points still there?

Sorry for the inquisition - just really curious to see how someone with symptoms similar to mine fared...
armchairlinguist Posted - 02/26/2007 : 18:30:17
Yes, trigger points can be the result of TMS. They were for me. I had them all over my upper body. Like yours they were quite severe and the pattern was asymmetrical for no obvious reason.

--
Wherever you go, there you are.
alexis Posted - 02/26/2007 : 14:02:48
Chris, while you wait you can likely get Sarno's books instantly at your local library if you live in a reasonable sized city. I found some significant differences between Healing Back Pain and MBP, but not so much between that and The Divided Mind...so if TDM is harder to get (I had to go ILL), then picking up MBP at the library should be quick and cheap.

I actually couldn't wait for Amazon when I first heard this stuff and had to run out the the bookstore for MBP (the latest available there). And I'm really cheap, so that's saying a lot. But the first thing I did (if you want a tip before getting the book) was concentrate on the pain to see if it moved around when I thought about it. And it did! This discovery was a big deal for me.

As for "Does it sound like TMS?" I try to stay away from commenting. If you can't see a TMS doctor (and even if you can) my sense is that you want to rule out everything first. I will say that even before I had the RSI issues I had had a couple of really severe back pain issues which I already relegated to "stress". They never lasted more than a weak or two, but I was so knocked out I couldn't lift a plate to put it in the cupboard. Pre-Sarno, valium and alchohol (separately...do not mix) both worked a bit as far as relaxation goes.
mizlorinj Posted - 02/26/2007 : 11:55:38
Chris, what I would do while waiting for the book (which one did you order?) since I've seen its worth is start writing on, say, how do you feel when your friends walk all over you? I just now did an essay of feelings myself and set reasonable expectations for myself because of an uncomfortable situation I find myself in. It definitely helps. Really feel the feelings, I'm angry that, sad that, etc. In this case, fears were what I listed most. Putting pen to paper, or even just talking out loud which I've done many times too, helps. You could also talk to your pain; I had learned to do it kindly--"ok, brain, I have butt pain again, can you please have some oxygen get to those muscles or nerves to help with the pain. I know what's going on and it is no longer a distraction." It does help too.
-L
b24k Posted - 02/25/2007 : 22:56:20
Sorry about the misspelled words and the bad grammer. The wrist pains i've had for so long resulted in taking short cuts while typing, and leaving bad grammer left alone as it would cause more pain to fix it. I am getting better and typing much better now. Just have to slowly break the bad habbit.
b24k Posted - 02/25/2007 : 22:52:07
Hey Chris im not an expert yet but i have familirized myself with Sarno's book for 5 days now and my pain is slowly dimishing. I also work out and thought my injury in my wrists were due to a physical injury will lifting weights. If you read Sarno's book, there is a specific example about one of his patients having so much pain in the back i think. Either way as soon as he got intouch with his feelings and told Dr.Sarno that he hated his job, his pain went away. If you have repressed feelings, just constantly remind yourself that your pain is being caused by your mind trying to distract you from all those negative emotions that can lead to anger and then RAGE. Your brain automatically wants to avoid letting RAGE come into your conscious mind and acting it out. That's is probabbly why the pain is sent to assist this process. Also, don't fear the pain. The more you fear it and think its a physical injury the more pain you will probabbly feel. Push through the pain and remind yourself over and over and journal everyday writing about your DEEPEST feelings and emotions with no boundries. You have to spill your guts. Once you can achieve this your body will loosen up and relax sending oxygen and blood to the others of pain. This is how you will be able to heal yourselg through the knowledge provided in Sarno's books. I think its was from Mind Body Prescription where one of his patients hated his job so much that he had severe back pain. Once he got it out of his chest and told Dr Sarno about it, his pain went away. You'll come across this when you read the book and it should hit the spot. Gluck and keep us updated.

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000