TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Lifting My TV

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
greenelvis Posted - 02/24/2007 : 10:22:12
Ok, so I just got ambitious, and moved my living room around. Telling myself that I lifted my heavy TV tons of times before my "injury", that any pain I felt would be ignored.

So, I lifted it, barely (I guess maybe my muscles aren't as strong as before-given 4 months of hardly any activity).

In the process, I jammed 2 of my fingers between the cabinet and the bottom of the tv. Damn, it hurt, and was bleeding everywhere!

And, my back and leg pain was very evident and strong as well. So, in the process of all this, I start to feel like I'm gonna pass out, and before I know it, I'm on my bed, crying...saying over and over...that I don't want to be alone anymore.

And, then I start remembering how my parents form of punishing me was putting me in my room...alone, at the early age of 3. Its the only thing that "worked" they said. I felt it was the little girl who was crying in me. I feel stupid for admitting that. And then, I remember how I would lock myself in my room as a teen, because I wanted to "be alone". And now, my current situation finds me...with out the man I thought I was to marry...alone.
The tears seemed endless, I still feel like I could cry more over this. Has anyone had a similar experience through this whole TMS process? Now, that was half hour ago...and I don't have any back pain right now.
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
tennis tom Posted - 02/26/2007 : 10:18:44
GE, paraphrasing the Good Doctor, regarding lifing your TV, "...if you were able to lift it, then it wasn't TOO heavy for you to lift."

Keep up the good work
Dave Posted - 02/26/2007 : 09:04:57
quote:
Originally posted by greenelvis

And, my back and leg pain was very evident and strong as well. So, in the process of all this, I start to feel like I'm gonna pass out, and before I know it, I'm on my bed, crying...saying over and over...that I don't want to be alone anymore.

And, then I start remembering how my parents form of punishing me was putting me in my room...alone, at the early age of 3. Its the only thing that "worked" they said. I felt it was the little girl who was crying in me. I feel stupid for admitting that. And then, I remember how I would lock myself in my room as a teen, because I wanted to "be alone". And now, my current situation finds me...with out the man I thought I was to marry...alone.
The tears seemed endless, I still feel like I could cry more over this. Has anyone had a similar experience through this whole TMS process? Now, that was half hour ago...and I don't have any back pain right now.

This is really a great example of fighting TMS. A painful trigger redirected your thoughts toward your emotions, and then you allowed yourself to freely associate to other buried feelings, bringing them to the surface and thwarting the pain process.

It's not always this "easy" but when it does happen, try your best not to censor or judge your feelings, and just let them out, as you did. Our unconscious goes through a lot of trouble to keep those things buried, and anytime you can get them out, it will release some of the pressure and "tell" your brain that its pain-as-a-distraction strategy is failing.

Next time you are in pain remind yourself of this experience and try again to access those feelings. It may not be as dramatic or tearful, but that doesn't matter. Force yourself to think about it whenever the word "herniation" pops into your mind.
mizlorinj Posted - 02/25/2007 : 17:31:32
I have what was referred to as a "rather large herniation" at L5 S1. Dr. Sarno said it was NOT the cause of my pain. I'm sure it's still there but I no longer have pain. A friend at work had a tumor removed from her ovary, and the doc said in passing "you have 2 herniated discs" but she has no pain at all.
-L
greenelvis Posted - 02/25/2007 : 14:24:17
I feel bad for asking this, it comes from my doubt today. Since lifting my tv yesterday, my pain is worse and the I can't seem to shake the statement my last doctor told me "you have a huge herniated disc". Ugh. Its like I can't shake it along with the pain all of a sudden. If anyone who has beat this diagnosis of a herniated disc wouldn't mind sharing how large of a herniation that you have , I think I would really encourage me right now. Thanks for the encouragement.
Wavy Soul Posted - 02/24/2007 : 13:43:28
Yes, been there, done that,

still there, still doing that

I don't know how long it takes but I'm becoming okay with ongoing emotional check-ins much more often than I could have BELIEVED possible

you're not alone

you've got us!

xx

Love is the answer, whatever the question
mizlorinj Posted - 02/24/2007 : 13:00:09
Green, while I did not have that specific situation, I found that when I was incapacitated from TMS in January I wrote and wrote and wrote and got so many feelings out. I wrote about anything and everything that came to mind that brought up emotional trash and passionately wrote about my anger, sadness, how dare you do this to me, etc. Then past those feelings, how I can't change it; [parents] did the best they could at the time, and finally how I can heal this hurt now.
I found writing to be the key to my recovery from being bedridden in agony. I offloaded so much stuff I actually felt lighter. And pain free!
Best wishes,
-L
armchairlinguist Posted - 02/24/2007 : 12:49:26
Yes, I had some similar experiences. Once I was watching a TV show and there was some material about parents and kids, and I had been on the couch but ended up on the floor in a ball crying, remembering how alone and unloved I used to feel when I was left in daycare or whatnot without my parents because they worked such long hours.

There have been other ones but that's an example. It's a normal part of healing, albeit scary and intense. You've really dug into one of the sources of your pain. And it's not at all stupid to think it's the little girl in you crying. It is. It's the inner child that Sarno mentions. That's the part of you that is sad about this.

Wishing the best for your continued progress.

--
Wherever you go, there you are.

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000