TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Positive News sources

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
alexis Posted - 01/11/2007 : 08:49:20
In a topic a few weeks back (http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2883&whichpage=3&SearchTerms=global+shoulds) some of us were discussing "global shoulds" and how our attitudes to world problems affected our anxiety and distress/anger. At that time I admitted to be something of a news and current affairs junkie/adddict.

So I've cut back on my need to know everything, and am toying with the idea of a bit more focus on "good news" locally and in the world. I don't necessarily recommend this to anyone who is working in government or before an election, when your civic responsibility may require different approaches to media, but if you are trying to deal with compulsive negative thoughts, this may be an approach. Believe me, focussing on this "play news" would have killed me a few weeks back, but as discussed in a few other topics, I am emotionally coming to terms with the fact that my in depth understanding of middle east politics has really not gone a long way towards saving the world.

So I offer up a coupled of websites dedicated to happy news, that you might want to click towards when tempted to read the 15th story of the day on some horrible massacre that took place on the other side of the earth. I'm not saying don't read about the massacre, but really judge how much you need to read. Are you really in danger of being among the unenlightened, or are you just addicted to the bad news?

http://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/content/view/87/110/ -- The general tone is mostly neutralish, but is at times slightly "left of center" on the the US political spectrum.

http://www.happynews.com/ -- maybe a bit more commercial, and therefore trying to be even more mainstream

These were two that I found that didn't seem to be religiously oriented, though if you are religious the others online (of which there are quite a few) should serve the same purpose. Note that I'm not, not, not trying to start a discussion on the hidden politics of any of these sites. I encourage others to post similar sites with any different political or religious orientations--but just to give a brief summary as I did of what you think the religious of political foundation is to help people pick what they want to look at.
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
armchairlinguist Posted - 01/11/2007 : 10:55:35
This is my favorite one:

http://www.newsobserver.com/102/story/515756.html

A definite "truth is stranger than fiction" one.

--
Wherever you go, there you are.
armchairlinguist Posted - 01/11/2007 : 09:04:36
Thanks, alexis.

I've heard even before our shoulds discussion that because we all are constantly flooded with bad news that we can do little if anything about, we become dispirited and upset and the world seems to be going to hell in a handbasket. And sometimes then we don't take action when we can. So it's really quite negative in some ways, all around.

I don't think we get anywhere by burying our heads in the sand, either, but there must be a happy medium, and I suspect these news sites help us to reach it. I always really enjoy reading good stories like people saving others from a train or just handing out leftover sandwiches for homeless people at a local park. Then I realize that all over the world both good and bad things happen, not just bad ones.

--
Wherever you go, there you are.

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000