TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Having a Rough Time

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Plantweed Posted - 01/08/2007 : 12:15:57
Been reading Sarno for almost a year. Over the summer my back pain started getting better, but my right leg started hurting. Wasn't that bad, and it seemed a decent trade-off, since the back pain was almost gone after years of it, and the pain was on the run. About a month ago my leg pain got really bad, to the point where I can't walk far. Then my back tightened up, I'm crooked, and it hurts in both places now. I know not to dwell on the physical, but I went to my GP to check that it wasn't something serious. Had an MRI done, and he found increased degeneration/tears/narrowing/extrusions on two of my three spots. He brought up the big S word, and the usual PT, pain management, exercise methods... (I don't bring up Sarno with him.) I have to take Darvocet just to able to get around, and I get sick of being in a fog.

Of course it's been a bad year--go laid off, then rehired, bigger workload, don't like my new team or bosses, loads more pressure, can't find a new job... Fighting off depression at not being able to walk around like "normal" people and do physical things. Getting REAL tired of constant pain. Could use some pep talk from fellow TSMers!
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
miehnesor Posted - 01/10/2007 : 17:01:15
quote:
Originally posted by Plantweed

Thx for the note. I haven't journaled at all, but as an artist, I know that when I draw or paint regualrly, the pain subsides, as I can directly access my unconcious fears and anxieties and deal with them through my art, and I've always figured that was a journaling equivalent. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I need to be more literal and use words rather than pictures, I don't know.

Plant- I would recommend doing the journaling. Bradshaw says journaling is a way to "focus feelings" and I think it can be enormously beneficial in helping you identify things that may be bothering you underneath. Start with situations you know are problematic and check in with your body as you write down the words to see if anything triggers any feelings that may be hiding. You can start with your work situation and see what develops.
Plantweed Posted - 01/09/2007 : 05:53:16
Thx for the note. I haven't journaled at all, but as an artist, I know that when I draw or paint regualrly, the pain subsides, as I can directly access my unconcious fears and anxieties and deal with them through my art, and I've always figured that was a journaling equivalent. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I need to be more literal and use words rather than pictures, I don't know.

As far as the disc/muscle connection, I know that according to Sarno there is no connection. I'm no doctor (I did art direct medical textbooks for five years), but I can't see a physiological link between a protruding disc and tight muscle. In a way I'm relieved the symptoms weren't from leukemia or something, now I can get back to the TMS work.
Littlebird Posted - 01/08/2007 : 15:55:10
Hi Plantweed,

Sorry to hear you're having a rough time. When you first had some success, were you journaling? Are you doing that now?

I feel like one of the challenges holding me back from making a total recovery (though I have had significant improvement) has been trying to deal with big, ongoing issues. I wonder how much faster I might reach total recovery if I didn't have these things going on. But I guess it may be better for me in the long-run if I conquer the TMS while in the midst of these distressing situations. That may make it less likely that TMS will be able to get a toehold in my mind again.

I'm not dealing with back problems, so I'm a little confused about the relationship between degeneration/tears/narrowing/extrusions and tight muscles. Does that seem like a logical connection to you or does the tightness seem more like it's just the result of TMS?

I hope you'll be feeling much better soon. Let us know how it goes.

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000