TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 editing your posts

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
alexis Posted - 01/08/2007 : 06:57:58
I can't find any etiquette here on editing posts, but a couple of postings I've seen lately make me want to ask if there is one or a general standard people following in this regard.

My own policy is to edit a post fairly freely up until it has a response of any kind, and thereafter to keep my edits to minor typos and corrections or additions that do not have any bearing on later responses. Otherwise I include the new information in a new post.

Sorry if this is a bit nitpicky, but I find the break in logic disturbing when someone changes substantially the content of a post that has responses following.

Thanks.

Alexis
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Stryder Posted - 01/08/2007 : 17:04:57
Hi alexis,

I follow your rule of "edit all you want until the first reply".

Then after that, I will just fix typos in the original post.

If I am going to make a major addition or clarification, I usually add my own reply in the thread.

In the very rare case where you don't want to delete the original post, edit contents, delete all the text, and insert the text [post contents deleted by author] or something like that.

You are correct that major edits to the original post should be discouraged as they really distrurb the context.

Take care, -Stryder
Redsandro Posted - 01/08/2007 : 07:12:38
I agree, and previous editing shouldn't be possible in a more up-to-date forum. I could start about upgrading to phpbb2 or something new forum software for the fourth time, but people in charge are seemingly preoccupied.

There's also a bug when someone posts and deletes that post, the thread is still marked as having new posts with the poster's name, but it ain't there. It's confusion. I suggest upgrading. I'd offer to help. I'm experienced in MySQL, Apache and PHP server technology.

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000