TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 The Struggle...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
MikeySama Posted - 01/05/2007 : 05:54:13
First of all. Hello all, i've had TMS symptoms since 3 years now. It started with RSI at first, went to doctors etc etc. They never could find anything, only thing they could tell me was. You are gonna have to live with it, and start thinking about a career change ( IT, Web Development )

Someone recommended Sarno to me, and as skeptical as i was at first. I read the mindbody prescription, and for some reason my pain went away. I stuck with it, did the journaling. Was painfree within a week. ( and that from 1,5 year long condition )

Of course the years have gone by, i've had it return from time to time. Did the journaling again, and it went away again. I have it again now, i ignore the pain do the journaling etc. I'm sure it'll go away again soon...

Now to the heart of this topic. This constant struggle against TMS, don't you all get tired of it? It never seems to go away completely, it always finds it way back somehow. I'm guessing you really have to do it on a weekly basis, but honestly i get really frustrated with it =/

Just wanted to know if others have experienced these feelings.
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Darko Posted - 01/08/2007 : 20:49:06
Mikey,
I can relate to what you've said. Can I recommend that you do a search for a post on success story by me. Have a read of it, and I'm sure you'll get loads from it.

Darko
Littlebird Posted - 01/06/2007 : 14:17:59
Hi Mikey,

I've only known about TMS for about 6 months, but have been dealing with many symptoms for many years. I've made good progress in reducing the symptoms, but have a way to go to be really well. I still feel like I'm very immersed in the process of overcoming the TMS, and I do tend to get tired of having to think about it and having to spend time writing/reading about it. It's sort of ironic, the thing that makes us well can also feed our anger, if we let it. Of course the way to handle that is to acknowledge the anger that the work causes.

I appreciated Eileen's comments that we can at least be grateful that we now have the knowledge to conquer the pain and other symptoms, when so many don't, and that this is really just a human condition that all of us deal with in one way or another. Our focus has a lot to do with how much something bothers us. I'm going to focus on being grateful, like Eileen said, that I have this knowledge and I'm no longer putting my time and energy into treatments that can't help. I think that will help me realize that I've just traded the time spent on unfruitful treatments for the time I spend on journaling, so I'm not really losing time--it's just shifted to a different task. It will also help me to not feel so resentful that I have this condition that I have to think about and deal with.

As Veronica said, it seems that most people get to a point where they don't spend as much time, unless they have a flare-up. That's encouraging for me too. Your story is actually encouraging to me also, since you've had relief, and even though you're having a flare-up you are confident it won't last.

Randolph, I love the comparison to eating, because that's something we have to deal with every day. Like you, my 20's were a time when I wanted to eat freely and found I didn't like the resulting weight gain, so I learned to control the food and take off the weight. It gets a little annoying sometimes when people ask why I eat such small portions and when I tell them I have to do that to avoid being heavier than I want to be they scoff at the idea, saying something like, "You don't need to worry about your weight!" But if I hadn't been worried about it for the past twenty-some years, I would still be a much larger size. I sometimes think that they say that because they hope that there is some easy way to be thinner and some day they'll discover it. They don't want to believe that managing one's weight requires a daily effort for the rest of our lives. Of course, it's more automatic for me now; it's not constantly on my mind. But at some point each day I have that urge to keep eating, especially with my daily dose of chocolate and ice cream or cookies or cake. I don't want to stop with that little serving, I want to eat until I feel sick. Funny thing is, when I occasionally do that, I don't enjoy it like I thought I would.

I think that dealing with the emotions that cause the TMS will become somewhat automatic in time. It probably won't be overnight, but will be a gradual process. We may always have a moment or two of annoyance at some point each day that we have to think about managing TMS. But it beats the alternative.
EileenTM Posted - 01/05/2007 : 12:23:41
I don't post often, but visit alot for support. Both my husband and I have struggled with TMS. He seems to be further ahead than I am because his symptoms are simpler: knee pain and sciatica. And he gets really tough in fighting those. They have greatly diminished and he can usually banish them in a matter of minutes. Mine are more mood related which can be harder to fight, because the brain is what you need to fight tms and when you feel down that is hard to do. I did get back pain about 4 years ago but it disappeared rather quickly after reading the book. However the bottom line is that we have both had tremendous success with Sarno's methods. Yes, tms does periodically come back, however we are grateful that we know what it is and how to treat it. We have so many friends with symptoms who are always running to the doctor, are miserable and on many medications with little relief. They have it too, but don't recognize it. I think as Sarno says it is just the human condition. At least we have effective tools to deal with it.
vrampen78 Posted - 01/05/2007 : 11:41:16
Mikey,

I have these thoughts & feelings too...hope some of the TMS success stories will post their feelings on this one. Is it a forever thing? Does it have to be a hassle or do they keep it in check once in awhile? From what I have gathered, they do the work (journaling, reading & re-reading Sarno etc.) and there comes a point where all of that isn't needed so often. Sorry I couldn't provide much insight on this...I'm new, but I did want to let you know you aren't alone and it is a concern for some.

-Veronica

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000