TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Candace Pert Mentions Sarno

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
wrldtrv Posted - 01/01/2007 : 21:44:39
Candace Pert, the author of "Molecules of Emotion" mentions Sarno favorably in her new book, "Everything You Need to Know to Feel Good." For those who have read TDM, Sarno also says good things about Pert.

From p. 78 in her new book, Pert writes, "But treating the emotional causes of chronic pain is still very much on the outskirts of conventional medicine. An exception is Dr. John Sarno, a New York City physician and author who's had a high rate of success treating patients by addressing emotional conflict as the root of their back pain. And even though it's been shown that an operation on the back is usually not helpful in alleviating suffering in the long term, it remains the method of choice by the mainstream."

Later, referring to depression, she writes, "While mainstream's answer to chronic pain is predominantly surgery, the answer for long-term depression is often talk therapy and drugs. But this conditon may also have emotional roots, stemming from early-childhood traumas that are forgotten and kept below awareness in the subconscious mind, which I believe to be the body...Talk therapy addresses mental aspects of depression but ignores the physical relity of the disease, and therefore treats only half the picture."

I would highly recommend this book as a companion to Sarno's. It is very much in agreement with Sarno's basic ideas about the connection of mind and body. The only thing that troubled me was her strong support of chiropractic, which I regard as a placebo. On the other hand, she recommends, not your standard bone cracking/popping chiro, but more of an energy chiro to access deeply buried emotions. Maybe there is something to that.
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Singer_Artist Posted - 01/04/2007 : 06:49:54
I love Candace Pert, but you are right worldtrv, she is self promoting..She spoke in the movie/documentary "What the bleep do we know.." I thought what she had to say in this movie was profound..I do find her first book a bit on the technical side, not usually a problem for me..but in this case it was a little boring..I am looking into her new book as well..thanks for the reminder..:)
Happy New Year,
Karen
tennis tom Posted - 01/02/2007 : 23:29:28
Candace Pert also appeared in the Bill Moyer's book and PBS series "Healing and the Mind" about alternative medicine produced in the early 90's. It was a pretty good series and may be available on Netflix or Blockbuster.com.
wrldtrv Posted - 01/02/2007 : 19:58:00
One caution about the book; you have to overlook her disorganized meandering writing style and her sometimes over the top self promotion. That said, there are some really great ideas in there.

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000