TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 First Post- pain for three months

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
chinia Posted - 12/24/2006 : 16:52:04
Hi, I am a 29 year old femail living in nyc. I have been experiencing horrible symptoms for the past 3 months- back pain, hives, inflammed colon, numbness in arms, headache AND now today it is swollen lymph nodes....I am seeing Dr. Sarno. I saw him about two weeks ago, so it is very early in the program. He wants me to see his psychologist that works with him, but I've been in therapy with my analyst for four years! do i switch therapists?
Also, I've been writing down my anger, etc. everyday, but the pain keeps coming. I am very overcome with anxiety so my psychiatrist put me on 2mg of abilify. I resisted and still don't want to take this medication, but i feel overwhelmed and confused and the abilify is helping with my anxiety, BUT maybe it is causing me to have more symptoms, maybe it's making it a longer process of getting to the real emotions?
I feel I am a bright, intelligent person and I am working hard at looking at my emotions, but I still HAVE PAIN somewhere NEW everyday. I am frustrated.
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
tennis tom Posted - 12/24/2006 : 19:35:47
Hi Chinia,

My personal experience with TMS:

Saw a TMS therapist and liked him. Made me feel good about myself and positive.

Saw a non-TMS therapist. Didn't like it but persisted and got better but wouldn't want to repeat that experience.

Was put on Lexapro. When lexies were increased to two, hated it and went to ER in middle of night for panic attack. Made therapist take me off lexies. Liked myself better without the drugs. Would pick a TMS therapist if I could find one, next time.

You have been seeing your therapist for 4 years. He has had his chance to make you feel good about life and yourself. Psychiatrists believe our brains need chemicals to fix us.

Sarno says it's ok to use meds to get through the accute period but eventualy our brains can repair us, since they broke us to begin with.

If I had the opportunity to ever see the Good Doctor, well or not, I would take it in a NY minute. I would follow his advice.

That's what I think but I am prejudiced, obviously.

And I am me and you are you.

You asked and that's my 2 cents. I hope you are feeling better soon.

If you can afford it, see both until YOU decide what is best for you and can transition.

Merry Christmas,
tt
chinia Posted - 12/24/2006 : 17:39:00
LittleBird,
thank you for your reply. Yes, I've read Dr. Sarnos books all of them and he knows I see a therapist, but feels his therapist does know more about TMS. I will keep working on it...and read the other posts on here. thank you!
Littlebird Posted - 12/24/2006 : 17:22:16
Hi Chinia,

Having new pain every day can get discouraging, but it is often a good sign that your efforts to find repressed anger are beginning to work. If you read through some of the past threads here you'll find that it's a very common experience during the early stage of recovery. It seems that the unconscious fights to keep things repressed by creating shifting symptoms.
Anxiety is also fairly common and seems to be another attempt by the unconscious to prevent the emotional digging that's involved in treatment.

Does Dr. Sarno know you're seeing a therapist already? If he does know about that doctor, then he may feel that someone familiar with the principles of TMS will prove more effective in helping you acknowledge repressed anger. If he doesn't know, perhaps it would be helpful to ask if he thinks you can achieve good results even if you stay with the current psychiatrist.

Have you read any of Dr. Sarno's books? That might also be helpful in getting the unconscious to stop producing new symptoms, as it reinforces your understanding of TMS and your confidence in this treatment. Reading the experiences of others here on the forum can also be useful and encouraging.

Hope you'll soon be feeling better!

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000