TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Confusing Body and Mind Pain

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
JaneLeslie Posted - 11/30/2006 : 09:58:38
Has anyone ever had the experience that I had the other day? I was getting to some fear and anger emotionally and letting it "come out" when I had the feeling that my body pain was no longer there but that my EMOTIONS were "hurting" me? I know that sounds so odd, but I can't explain it well. One minute my body hurt and then as the emotions came out (tears, etc.) I felt like my mind was experiecing the pain not my body!

It lasted a few minutes. I hope, at least, this is a valuable connection.

Jane
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Singer_Artist Posted - 12/04/2006 : 17:15:44
It's so great to see your progress Jane! I am so happy for you..Miss hearing from you..Drop me a note when you get a chance..
Hugs,
Karen
JaneLeslie Posted - 12/04/2006 : 15:48:41
Yes, it is becoming counterproductive to focus on this 24/7 and feel like an utter failure that I can't solve it. Some cases must be "deeper" than others anyway. Think of those of us with immune system involvement. I don't want my mind to snap.

I like the idea of journalling for a set time of day and becoming aware of stress triggers. It doesn't have to get so deep and complex all the time.

I do my best then focus on other things. I have a lifetime to figure this out. Who cares if I do it in a heartbeat????

I have seen others breeze through and I resent it, but I am my own person! Slow and steady.

Thanks!!!
Jane
Dave Posted - 12/04/2006 : 14:45:21
quote:
Originally posted by JaneLeslie

Sometimes it feels like opening a big can of worms!

That's exactly what it is. Fight the urge to keep the can closed.

I agree with armchair ... there is no reason to "devote your life" to treating TMS. That would be counterproductive. Treat it like homework. Journal and explore your emotions for a half hour to an hour each day. Keep a list of rage-causing things in your life. The rest of the day just become aware when the symptoms are grabbing your attention, and shift your thoughts to one of those things on the list.

And be sure to make some time to do things that you love, things that involve physical activities that you may have avoided before, and things that make you feel like a productive person.
armchairlinguist Posted - 12/04/2006 : 12:33:44
JL, I really think you might benefit from doing TMS work only at a fixed time of day, and only for a certain time. Recovery is supposed to help you return to normal (though it of course takes time), not consume your life.

You know that your pain is not harming you, so you don't need to fight it so hard that it pushes back.

RELAX!

--
Wherever you go, there you are.
Redsandro Posted - 12/04/2006 : 05:27:19
One of Sarno's extreme patients, Helen, had a similar increase of pain while she was fighting it. It became worse until she had a breakthrough.

You might remind her from the books, page 140-141 of Divided Mind. She is also described (more detailed I think) in The Mindbody Prescription, but I don't recall what page.

JaneLeslie Posted - 12/03/2006 : 20:09:04
OK. But I swear this pain has gotten more resistant the harder I work on it.

I wonder if it just wants me to leave it alone and not "push" so hard. I will see the therapist but I am tired of devoting my life to killing this thing, especially when I hurt.

Sometimes it feels like opening a big can of worms!

One day at a a time! There should be a 12 step program for us.

Jane
tennis tom Posted - 12/01/2006 : 10:54:47
Try doing the things you couldn't do because of your TMS psychosomatic pain.

Post about what is going on.

Start working with the psychotherapist you mentioned.

If you levitate put it on u-tube.
JaneLeslie Posted - 12/01/2006 : 08:38:35
I am hoping you were kidding about the levitating!
JaneLeslie Posted - 12/01/2006 : 08:33:35
Dr. Tennis Tom:

I am so glad I am on the right track!!! Sometimes it is hard to know because both things "hurt."

How do I keep this going????

Jane
tennis tom Posted - 11/30/2006 : 10:28:01

CONGRATULATIONS! BY JOVE YOU'VE GOT IT!

That's exactly what the Good Doctor says to do. When you feel the physical pain shift your thinking to the emotional/psychological and embrace the feelings.

According to Dr. Sarno in his latest book, THE DIVIDED MIND, the TMS/physical pain is there to PREVENT us from experiencing the mind pain that our unconscious decides would be even MORE painful.

Freud postulated, that the psychosomatic body pain was a "punishment" for "bad" thoughts. Dr. Sarno has made a great leap forward for the science of psychhology with his TMS theory that the body/physical/structural psychosomatic pain is a "protection" device. Our unconscious makes the decision that experiencing phycical pain is preferable to experiencing emotional/psycological/distressing/untenable/mind pain.

You just experienced TMS theory on a cellular level, rather than in the abstract.

As old Edna said in what might be the TMS credo or mantra: "Pity the heart is slow to learn what the swift mind sees at every turn," or something like that.

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000