TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Insomnia - horrible/help!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Suz Posted - 11/28/2006 : 08:53:15
Hello all,

I wanted to know if anyone here has used Sarno's technique to get rid of Insomnia. I know it is an equivalent and I am about to start using the program in a book called "Good night to Insomnia". I have suffered from it in bouts for years now and would love to get rid of it. The book i am reading talks about Insomnia as a learned behavior of the mind. He says how doctors just blindly give out drugs that do not help and exacerbate the problem.

Any thoughts anyone? I no longer have backache/headaches or any GI stuff because of Sarno.
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Fox Posted - 11/30/2006 : 12:16:55
Weatherman - it's odd that you would have a next day hangover with Ambien since the half life is only, as I remember, about 3 hours - for the non-extended release variety anyhow....Are you taking the 10mg? Maybe that's the problem. For me, I can take the 5mg and sleep for 4 hours, wake up, and feel NO hangover (and I'm very susceptible to next day effects from all sorts of other meds)...By the way, I can usually get to sleep with the 5mg cut in half.
weatherman Posted - 11/30/2006 : 11:48:16
I don't know if this is familiar - virtually all the insomnia I've ever had was brought on by worry about being able to sleep, in turn brought on by the pressure of having to perform the next day, which in turn is probably brought on by unreasonable fear of failure, etc. I've never had trouble sleeping when on vacation, even if I was pouring down coffee until 2AM. I'm asleep in 5 minutes and sleep all night. One essential for me is a cool room, no warmer than 66 degrees or so. Not a problem where I live.

Have you ever tried vitamin B (niacin?) before going to bed, along with a couple of aspirin? A friend told me about this a few years ago, and I've had good luck with it as an occasional aid. Maybe it's a placebo, but whatever works for a short-term fix is OK with me. I also had taken a kava supplement at one time, but there seem to be toxicity questions about it - tho it did work. I tried melatonin and valerian at other times, without much success.

Once in a blue moon I resort to ambien for a special case, but really don't like the next day hangover it leaves you with.

Protracted insomnia can be a real pain, it leaves you dreading a part of the day you should look forward to, and makes you think you're going crazy - which you're NOT. Good luck

Weatherman
Fox Posted - 11/30/2006 : 09:23:45
Just wanted to echo the viewpoint that Say Goodnight is a life saver for folks like me who have chronic insomnia. Read it at least twice and follow every suggestion! Also see your doc about getting prescribed one of the newer/less addictive sleeping pills, like Ambien, but only use it as the book says - only after TWO nights of less than 5 and a half hours core sleep. If you do get psychologically dependent on the meds, the book tells you, in detail, how to wean yourself off.
shawnsmith Posted - 11/28/2006 : 17:46:19
I personally don't have an insomnia problem. I have slept light for year though, but overall do not feel tired. Another thing to be thankful for.
Mary Ann Posted - 11/28/2006 : 16:02:15
quote:
Originally posted by Suz

Shawn,
That is the book i am reading. That is awesome!

How bad was your insomnia? Can you tell me if it has improved?

I am very depressed right now about my sleeping habits and am definitely experiencing some low self esteem attached to it. I feel like a weirdo that I cannot sleep better.

Thanks so much

Suz,
That's wonderful news that your GI issues have resolved.

Insomnia was one of mine for many years. At first I had attributed it to a bad mattress and replaced my bed (it persisted). Then, when I was dealing with a multitude of GI issues, I gave up all caffeine and got relief (placebo is my suspcision there).

When I challenged my food issues I started back on caffeine and (no surprise) my insomnia didn't automatically come back.

That said, I still get the odd bout of it. Last week wasn't good for me with sleep. I haven't followed any other advice specifically about insomnia, but what works for me usually is to just accept that I have sleepless nights sometimes. When it happens I usually just try to get up and do something mindless to distract my racing mind. Eventually I get tired enough to sleep again. The next day, I try to just carry on my routine as if I had enough sleep (lack of one night's sleep never really hurts anyone). If it continues, repeat.

This week I've been sleeping fine. It's just one of those things that comes and goes with me. I've managed to come to terms with that and it stays low key.

Good luck and pleasant dreams!
Mary Ann
Suz Posted - 11/28/2006 : 10:48:37
Shawn,
That is the book i am reading. That is awesome!

How bad was your insomnia? Can you tell me if it has improved?

I am very depressed right now about my sleeping habits and am definitely experiencing some low self esteem attached to it. I feel like a weirdo that I cannot sleep better.

Thanks so much
shawnsmith Posted - 11/28/2006 : 09:38:37
I higly recommend the mindbody book:

"Say Good Night to Insomnia: The Six-Week, Drug-Free Program Developed At Harvard Medical School"

by Gregg Jacobs, Herbert Benson

order at:
http://www.amazon.com/Say-Good-Night-Insomnia-Developed/dp/0805055487

They will take you step by step how to unlearn the behaviour of insomnia.I read it and it is excellent. I am sure Sarno would approve of this book if he read it.

Sweet dreams.

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000