TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Evidence of link between emotions and pain

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ralphyde Posted - 11/21/2006 : 18:26:52
I found this article called: "Technical evidence of the link between emotional causes and physical ailments" on the EFT website. But it is so relevant to TMS that I thought I would link to it here. It is old (1997) but important evidence for the importance of childhood traumas in adult chronic pain. It even has a footnote for Dr. Sarno's book, Mind Over Back Pain.
quote:
This article was presented by Dr. Dietrich Klinghardt, M.D., PhD to the American Association of Orthopedic Medicine and was sent to me by Eric Robins, MD. It is a sophisticated article and will be most useful for those with technical backgrounds. It includes a study which points quite persuasively to the fact that recovery from back surgery (as one example) was far more dependent on the unresolved trauma in one's past than on other factors.

By Dietrich Klinghardt, MD, PhD and Eric Robins, MD

The title of the paper is:
Psychological Factors in Chronic Pain: An Introduction to Psychosomatic Pain Management
by Dr. Dietrich Klinghardt, M.D., PhD

The link to the article is here:
http://www.emofree.com/articles/chronic-pain-klinghardt-paper.htm

This also relates to my wife, who wouldn't accept TMS, has had chronic back pain for five years, had spinal fusion this May, but still hasn't recovered from that. She has three or four of the five childhood traumas from the study, which I've always felt were at the root of her TMS.

Ralph
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Littlebird Posted - 11/23/2006 : 01:23:50
Sorry, Peter, for misunderstanding the meaning of it not counting. Interesting that your dad had that bully story--my dad had a story about beating up a much larger bully and then everyone left him alone. He expected my brothers to be able to do the same.
PeterW Posted - 11/22/2006 : 21:36:47

Littlebird, I totally agree about how much later traumas can affect you.

And I didn't tell my family either because of the shame involved, so I just bottled it up. My dad would have expected me to whack people back (wouldn't matter if I was outnumbered), and he used to like to tell a story of how he put a bully into hospital and 'they never touched him again' so the story goes. I remember at the time I used to fantasize about doing the same thing to my tormentors but of course never did it in reality. Did feel real rage though.

BTW I just looked back on the sentence I wrote saying 'so it probably doesn't even count'. Even though I meant that it probably wouldn't count for the study, it does look odd, as if I'm dismissing the affect it had on me.
Littlebird Posted - 11/22/2006 : 14:35:37
That's an interesting article. I think that even though the study only asked about childhood traumas, the same effect might be found in people who had traumas at a later time. The part about the pathways in the brain kind of reminds me of the book Emotional Intelligence, by Daniel Goleman. I just ordered his new book, Social Intelligence, but it hasn't arrived yet. I'm looking forward to reading it.

Peter, I think your abuse in jr. high would still be likely to have a significant impact. One thing I've discovered about abuse from outside the family is that it still causes some anger at the family, at least for me it has, because the mind says the family should have provided protection, even if that's not necessarily realistic. I know I didn't tell my parents because there is shame involved, but also I didn't tell them because I felt they would overreact and that my father would end up seriously hurting the abusers. So in recent years I've noticed that I feel some anger that I had to put up with abuse in order to protect my father from the consequences of going too far to punish the other people.

I also think that stuff we experience in later childhood can have just as much effect on us as stuff experienced in earlier childhood. I saw that in my family, among my siblings and myself, and as a parent I've seen that my kids have been effected to about the same extent by stuff from their teens as from earlier.

I have CFS, also diagnosed as Fibro, but I think the CFS profile fits my symptoms better, and the doctor who chose that dx was more thorough in gathering information before giving me a label. (Now the label doesn't make a difference to me, since I know it's TMS causing my symptoms.) I feel that the stuff that really pushed me over the edge to developing chronic symptoms was stuff that occurred in adulthood, piled on top of the earlier stuff. I guess that some of the choices I made in adulthood that led to this were influenced by the earlier experiences. But I think if things had gone differently in my adult life I wouldn't have developed the symptoms that I have.

It's not that I question the importance of early childhood traumas, but I think that later ones can have a significant impact as well.
armchairlinguist Posted - 11/21/2006 : 21:58:23
I found this paragraph the most interesting:

quote:
When a conflict from childhood is uncovered, a new intracerebral neuronal connection is made from the limbic system to the cortex. The patient becomes more "conscious". The conflict induced electrical energy from areas in the limbic system can now flow to the cortex instead of constantly arousing areas in the hypothalamus. This energy becomes a source of greater vitality and clarity. However, the pathway from the conflict to the hypothalamus is habituated and needs to be uncoupled ("deconditioned").

It sounds like doing the TMS work leading to increased vitality and clarity may have a neural analogue! Similarly, it validates the conditioning connection. Very fascinating.

--
Wherever you go, there you are.
PeterW Posted - 11/21/2006 : 21:26:51

Interesting article Ralph. I recently found a paper discussing CFS and similar early trauma connections.

Early Adverse Experience and Risk for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Results From a Population-Based Study

http://archpsyc.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/63/11/1258

I had CFS for over 12 years(largely recovered) and two disk microsurgeries (first successful, the second not) in my past, so you'd think from these articles I must have had a horrific early childhood.

But in my case I can only claim one of the five traumas, physical abuse, and that came from peers (not family) and was more jr high age, so it probably doesn't even count.

In TDM Dr Sarno finds that the perfect-good drive and life pressures are predominant factors in far more patients with TMS than is childhood abuse.

Though perhaps the abuse and trauma ratios would be higher for those with super TMS, such as CFS, Fibro, severe pain leading to multiple surgeries etc. Just speculating here.

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000