TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Non-distracting symptoms, why?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Redsandro Posted - 11/17/2006 : 11:33:49
I'm just wondering,

There are some symptoms that are regarded as TMS - and I keep learning new ones through literature - but they are not attention distraction capable. Since we're learning that pain is a diversion from inner rage, which is confirmed by many of us, then what is the purpose of these kinds of things:

Hay Fever
Spastic Colon
Frequent common cold
Bad vision (Fred Amir claims to be cured)
Tinnitus
etc..

For instance, I have a spastic colon for a long time now.. when I first felt that hard bulge I was scared to hell thinking I had cancer. Doctor said no, I could relax. Three years later it's still there. I hardly notice. What is it's purpose, concidering I have TMS?

Redsandro Posted - 11/19/2006 : 05:51:22
quote:
Originally posted by Jim1999

I don't think that any reward is required to get conditioning going. The brain gets in the habit of doing something and tends to automatically keep doing it, even if there was never any reward.

I haven't finished the whole book yet, but Fred Amir tends to say that chronic symptoms is all about conditioning through 'awards'. I can see that for pain manifestations. If one was really totally undistracted by the pain when it first appeared, it would probably never grow out to the massive disabling pain. But then again you must be right when it comes to the minor ones. Some hardly get attention.

Jim1999 Posted - 11/18/2006 : 23:09:52
quote:
Originally posted by Redsandro

I don't see how 'non-working' manifestations of TMS are kept alive because the initiator never get's it's 'award' in the form of a succesful distraction. The brain is not conditioned to continue doing what it tries.

Has anyone been successful on taking out minor manifestations of TMS?
Which ones are to be called minor is open for debate, but compared to disabling pain it's a big difference imo.
Redsandro,

I don't think that any reward is required to get conditioning going. The brain gets in the habit of doing something and tends to automatically keep doing it, even if there was never any reward.

As far as eliminating minor manifestations of TMS, few patients achieve this. Dr. Sarno's treatment allows many patients to have greatly reduced symptoms and live a normal life, but very few patients will completely eliminate all psychosomatic symptoms.

Jim
kilton Posted - 11/18/2006 : 22:22:37
Dandruff is an allergy, and allergies can be TMS.

Or if you think of an allergy as your immune system overreacting to something that isn't harmful (i.e., pollen), maybe allergies are *always* TMS. Either that or after millions of years of evolution our immune systems still don't know what they're doing.

TMS seems much more likely to me.
Redsandro Posted - 11/18/2006 : 20:30:40
Is dandruff also a TMS manifestation? Who sais that? But wow... I had it a while some years ago and I changed shampoo and it was gone.. I would have sworn it was the shampoo!

About the minor manifestations, it's really so so much more important to kill the big painfull ones, but I hope some day I will understand what the minor ones are all about.

armchairlinguist Posted - 11/18/2006 : 17:17:53
I'm still dealing with stiffness and dandruff, which are quite minor. I think it takes a lot of discipline to really tackle the minor ones. Much easier not to let them bother us much. And once our lives are normal, who really cares if they stick around?

--
Wherever you go, there you are.
Redsandro Posted - 11/18/2006 : 13:20:10
TT, I don't know why but your writing style keeps making me read twice.

I don't see how 'non-working' manifestations of TMS are kept alive because the initiator never get's it's 'award' in the form of a succesful distraction. The brain is not conditioned to continue doing what it tries. The one explanation left is indeed that we simply do not know how the gremlin does it's work physio/anatomicly, and I keep forgetting to realize that.

I think a severe portion of my suppressing the RSI is because I know the brains' strategy, and I can say to myself "I will not let this be a distraction." It doesn't work like that for the manifestations that are hardly a distraction at all, making me wonder how I can get them to get.

Has anyone been successful on taking out minor manifestations of TMS?
Which ones are to be called minor is open for debate, but compared to disabling pain it's a big difference imo.

tennis tom Posted - 11/18/2006 : 10:03:41
Hi RS,

One of the limitations of this message board is you are there and I am here. It is hard if not impossible to get the complete picture. Those symptoms that are not distractions to you may do the job on others. It can take a shrink 6 months of twice weekly sessions to familiarize themselves with a patient's situation. Perhaps your mindbody constitution successfully warded off your other symptoms but sucummed to the accumulation of random symptoms.

When I experienced my "significant depression/affective TMS" symptom, it was not one event that triggered it but an accumulation of many. There was an accumulation of events that broke the camel's back as it were.

Perhaps your TMS gremlin kept hitting you with symptoms until he/she found one that worked: your RSI.

Dr. Sarno says that he doesn't know how the gremlin does it's work physio/anatomicly and as soon as some one figures it out he would like to be the first to know. That is the nature of the TMS beast. It dwells in our unconscious, which has not been charted, perhaps never will be and is NOT amenable to logic as we now know it--one of the mysteries of life as they say.

The important thing is to comprehend the concept not the details.

Good Luck,
tt
Redsandro Posted - 11/18/2006 : 08:48:38
I have a spastic colon and tinnitus and frequent colds.. and they never stopt me from doing anything (unlike my RSI!), I just accepted them as a fact of life.

Now that I know they might be TMS I'm figuring it would be kind of nice to do without 'em.. but imo they are hardly distractions.

On the other hand, they are not subsiding now I'm into the knowledge, opposed to the RSI.

wrldtrv Posted - 11/17/2006 : 22:30:39
Tinnitus will drive you nuts! A real distraction.
tennis tom Posted - 11/17/2006 : 21:46:49
quote:
Originally posted by Redsandro

I'm just wondering,

...then what is the purpose of these kinds of things:

Hay Fever
Spastic Colon
Frequent common cold
Bad vision (Fred Amir claims to be cured)
Tinnitus
etc..

They are reasons not to perfrom "normal" activities.
armchairlinguist Posted - 11/17/2006 : 14:26:57
Hay fever and cold are very distracting! You have to rest, take care of yourself, blow your nose, take medicine...

--
Wherever you go, there you are.

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000