TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Can't find any connection or trigger

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Nor Posted - 10/24/2006 : 19:01:53
Hi All,
Do any of you have the following experience?: Periods of feeling great/normal and then a few weeks of various TMS symptoms which come and go - on schedule and off. I frequently cannot tie them into any particular feeling or event. They are not brought on by any obvious stressor most of the time. I've been working on this for awhile so I think I am pretty in tune w/my emotions. I am also seeing a TMS therapist who is very good. This is getting so frustrating b/c I don't see any pattern. Any ideas?
Nor
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Nor Posted - 10/26/2006 : 11:44:18
Thanks all of you for your comments. It was helpful. I guess its hard to keep the "reservoir" concept in mind. A lot of what we read in TMS literature as well as on this forum indicates that stress increases TMS. Maybe true but not always. Thanks again.
Nor
Littlebird Posted - 10/25/2006 : 20:04:25
I think that Dave and Stryder have made a really helpful point with their statements about how we should be thinking when hit by symptoms. Having recently read Dr. Sarno's Divided Mind book and then a couple of books by other doctors, I did notice that Dr. Sarno didn't suggest trying to track down a recent trigger emotion like the other books talked about doing.

While looking for some trigger may be helpful some of the time, I think it can leave us stressing and obssessing at times when there really isn't any big, obvious trigger. If we can't figure out right away what might have been a trigger we may develop fear that we'll never control the symptoms, and that may just exacerbate our situation.

Glad you brought this up Nor--I hope you'll let us know how it goes for you if you just focus on not tolerating the symptoms.
Corey
Stryder Posted - 10/25/2006 : 19:00:09
quote:
Originally posted by Dave

... Symptoms are brought on by an overflow of the resivoir of repressed rage, which can be seemingly random.

Hi Nor,

What Dave says is very true, and I am in that boat a bit at the moment. TMS can be one or two major items, or it can not, and rather be an accumlation of a lot of little unrelated things. When you reach your capacity to hold these in, and they threaten to emerge, TMS kicks in.

That is why some TMS patients need psychotherapy (because they have a major trama to deal with), and others do not (they do not have any real psychological damage, they are just overloaded).

So, you do not have to "figure out" what is causing the symptoms. Rather acknowledge that you must have some sort of repressed rage(s), ignore them, and don't give it a second thought. Its a hard habit to break (obsessing), but that's the deal.

Take care, -Stryder
Dave Posted - 10/25/2006 : 07:59:12
quote:
...I frequently cannot tie them into any particular feeling or event...

It is not productive to think of TMS in this way. There is not necessarily any single event or trigger for an attack. Symptoms are brought on by an overflow of the resivoir of repressed rage, which can be seemingly random.
marytabby Posted - 10/25/2006 : 05:30:03
Yes, I will be fine for a time and then I will get hit with a few odd symptoms in tandem, and can usually not find a source for it. I rack my brain to find the cause and most times come up empty. At that point I try to tell myself I know something is bothering me and I will not tolerate the symptoms. Sometimes works and sometimes does not.

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000