TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 TMS Problems Back--New Symptoms

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Shadytalks Posted - 10/24/2006 : 10:49:25
You may remember me from over a year ago. I was cured of a chronic and very painful tailbone condition by reading Sarno's books and doing the workbook. I am a Type A, chronic worrier, chronic people-pleaser, who tries to be wonder woman at work and at home. I thought I was doing great after that episode, and had found the cure to my lifelong migraines, fibromyalgia, and other ails.

A few months ago, my job changed and I'm under additional stress. The heavy workload isn't a problem, but there are all kinds of unfair, unethical, and illegal things going on there. I find myself constantly suppressing my rage at the blatant and daily unfairness. And I know one solution would be to find another job. But due to a variety of circumstances, it isn't possible for another couple of years.

About the same time the job change occurred, I started having tinnitis. I thought it was TMS returned so I talked to my brain. Then I developed pain in my knee. Again, I talked to my brain. But for the past 4 weeks, I've had some gastrointestinal symptoms which are disrupting my entire life. THIS problem doesn't seem to be going away which is causing me additional worry. I keep talking to my brain, but in the meantime, I'm missing work, I'm behind on everything, and I'm starting to panic about this. Advice?

Shady
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
catspine Posted - 06/23/2010 : 16:25:40
Shady
There is no reason why you should suffer for someone else's wrong doing, if you let it happen you're just encouraging it and making your return there even more difficult which I would believe can created enough turmoil in your mind to make you more sick even if you're not there because it maintains the tension in your body present at any given time. If physically being away from there brought a relief you would know by now.

Unless you can detach yourself from thinking about it consciously or not you 're left w/o a choice which is particularly what can make you sick as if you were trapped. The thoughts go round and round in your brain generating more thoughts you don't know what to do with and so on. On the long term disability is probably not a solution you consider viable or you wouldn't even write in this forum i suppose.

Based on what you wrote unless you find an alternative (to the lack of choice) that impresses your unconscious mind chances are TMS will keep on doing its job the best it can.
The mind is made that way that more often than not it goes for the best choice it can grab (something that makes what's there obsolete either bad if it needs to continue distraction) or good to fix the problem and that's what you'll have to offer your mind if you want the symptoms to recede because it won't be able to resist the temptation if it has the choice.
Your being sick serves a purpose. If your symptoms try to distract you, very well! then maybe you can outsmart and distract what creates them . Supposed you were offered a much better position even for a bit less or even a part time job maybe as long as it doesn't have what angers you , would it appease your mind ?

If you need to be in the future in your mind most of the time because it's in your type A nature what if you try to make it something you can smile about.
It is difficult to be positive with the symptoms bothering you so maybe you can let your husband know about your plans and let him or friends come up with some ideas . If nobody's there you still have the library or online motivating places to surf. There is always an out.
Shadytalks Posted - 10/28/2006 : 09:27:20
Thanks so much for all your advice. I'm going to try to take it all and go through it a step at a time. I think sometimes I just need to hear it from another TMSer in order to validate what I already know. Thanks again for all your support. I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Shady in Idaho
Darko Posted - 10/24/2006 : 16:03:39
Shady,
I have also cured myself of TMS once before only to get it back about a year later, which has been with me now for about 5 years. Please don't take this as negative, as I'm not. I've come to think that just "the Knowledge" of TMS is not enough for me to be pain free. I think TMS is still quite new, and we or Sarno might not know everything there is to know about it. The knowledge might have cured you once before, but you never actually learned what to do with your emotions, especially your anger. Understanding that your symptoms are caused by pain is one thing, I'm very very aware that is the reason for my pain but this has done very little to cure me. Anger is a very powerful emotion that flows throughout the body, and no matter what anyone says, suppressing it is BAD! If you're angry everyday and you internalise that anger everyday, then what do you think will happen? It's like sealing off a steam train. Eventually that steam will find other ways out. You need to do a couple of things here. Identify what is making you so mad, then identify why it is making you so mad. I'll bet most, if not all, of the reasons come back to you. Humans are selfish, and the reason you're so mad is cause things aren't going YOUR way. Work that stuff out and make peace with as much of it as you can. Then you need to release that stored anger. It's like a bank account, right now your account has heaps of anger in it, so go ahead and spend as much as you can. Punch or scream into a pillow or bed. Even just sitting and thinking about the things that piss you off and allowing yourself to be pissed-off will help. TMS is just an understanding, sometimes we need to take action also to release the anger. Read a book called Facing the Fire if you need to know more. Good luck, and let us know how you go.
tennis tom Posted - 10/24/2006 : 11:31:23
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff

The key is recognizing that you are merely treating symptoms, and that the Sarno approach is the cure.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

The above x'2. Classic SYMPTOM-IMPERATIVE. It sounds like you may need a TMS refresher. If you haven't gotten the Good Doctor's latest book, THE DIVIDED MIND, I would highly reccommend it.

Dr. Sarno goes into much more detail about the psycholgy of TMS. He discusses more about daily life pressures such as yours in the work-place and its causing TMS.

In TDM, he discusses his theory that TMS is a "protector" from unconscienable emotions from errupting to the surface, versus Freudian thinking that psychosomatic pain is a punnisher.

Your circumstance sounds like a classic case of the symptom imperative protecting you from going to work in an environment that is in direct opposition to your belief system and conscience. Your TMS unconscious is autonmicly generating physical symtoms, one after another, to protect you from errupting at work.

You may need to make a choice between your mindbody health and your paycheck.

Good Luck!
Jeff Posted - 10/24/2006 : 11:00:10
I don't what what specific GI tract symptoms you are having, but this is one area where there are certain medications you may be able to take effectively that will not interfere with TMS therapy. I had a variety of GI tract ailments, and ultimately Prilosec has made a big difference and the symptoms went away after I had a colonoscopy. TMS may have an impact on your GI Tract (e.g., causing you to produce too much stomach acid), and I would not hesitate to take something for it. The key is recognizing that you are merely treating symptoms, and that the Sarno approach is the cure.

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000