TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Neck Trouble

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Bonnie Posted - 10/21/2006 : 10:35:08
It's been two years since I read HBP and I've gotten rid of almost everything, there are slips when I'm stressed but that's life and they are very short. What I haven't been able to do is relax my neck, when I turn it back and forth it sounds and feels like there is a clicking noise and sand or broken glass at the base of my skull. I'm pretty sure its TMS because some days it goes away and doesn't bother me at all, but for the most part it's just there and it's scary sometimes and I'm worried that all those chiropractor visits did something permanently nasty to my neck. Does anybody else have this problem and/or could you point me toward a solution. Thanks.
Bonnie
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Fox Posted - 10/26/2006 : 14:05:29
I agree Dr. Ziggles - hypervigilance is a key element of tinnitus and other TMS distractions, and thats why physical methods don't work well - because they make you even more hypervigilant (checking for the sensation/for the pain).
h2oskier25 Posted - 10/26/2006 : 13:24:57
quote:
Originally posted by tennis tom
tt the Luddite

Luddite . . .

That's funny. I want to go back to the tractor pullin' days myself.

Beth
tennis tom Posted - 10/24/2006 : 10:37:07
quote:
Originally posted by drziggles

Once pain or other symptoms are present, one becomes hypervigilant to all of these "normal abnormalities".

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I nominate the above to Stryder's TMS Glossary.

tt
drziggles Posted - 10/24/2006 : 08:00:42
I think that everyone past their teenage years starts to get an occasional crunching noise with neck movement at times. The key is, as with most anxiety/TMS symptoms, most people don't notice it or pay attention to it. Once pain or other symptoms are present, one becomes hypervigilant to all of these "normal abnormalities" (also see: tinnitus, etc.).
floorten Posted - 10/23/2006 : 02:57:42
The board admin (Dave?) could do this for you by directly altering the entry for your account in the SQL database.

Might be worth asking...?

--
"What the Thinker thinks, the Prover proves."
Robert Anton Wilson
painintheneck Posted - 10/22/2006 : 17:42:33
Thanks, I didn't think so without having to reregister.
armchairlinguist Posted - 10/22/2006 : 10:37:27
quote:
I'm sure someone here who knows about such things will jump in here in an self-less act of TMS goodism to chime in with the answer.

Okay, I'll take the bait. painintheneck is correct -- there's no way to change one's username while remaning the "same person". I looked through the help info about it because I considered doing it too.

--
Wherever you go, there you are.
Bonnie Posted - 10/22/2006 : 10:11:24
Thank you all for the replies and advice, and, FlyByNight, that's exactly what I needed to hear.
Bonnie
tennis tom Posted - 10/22/2006 : 09:57:17
quote:
Originally posted by painintheneck

Am I right to assume the only way to make that change is to reregister with another name?

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I would probably be one of the last people to be competent to answer that. I bought this infernal contraption just so I could participate on this board. I think if the computer were never invented at least half the world's TMS would disappear overnight. Instead of dealing with such emphemeral TMS sypmtoms as RSI, we could be tackleing critical ailments such as tennis elbow.

I'm too frightened to change anything on my Dell..BUT...you may want to go up to the top of the page, in the right hand corner, to the tab that says "PROFILE", (between the "home" and "register" tabs), and try "edit profile".

I'm sure someone here who knows about such things will jump in here in an self-less act of TMS goodism to chime in with the answer. If it all goes bad, we will send out a search party to cyberspace to pull you back in.

Good Luck!
tt the Luddite
painintheneck Posted - 10/22/2006 : 08:28:37
Am I right to assume the only way to make that change is to reregister with another name?
tennis tom Posted - 10/21/2006 : 19:21:20
Hi Painintheneck,

May I respectfully suggest that you CHANGE your board monniker to something more positive than "painintheneck"? I don't think you can get better unless you have a more positve i.d.

I suggested this to someone here several years ago who also had a negative board name and they went on to become a board success story shortly thereafter.

Just my 2 cents.

Good Luck,
tt
painintheneck Posted - 10/21/2006 : 15:07:06
I sure do have the very same problem. My neck gets stiff, sore, sometimes feels like it has swelling. I hear the same noises. I was scared to death because I was diagnosed with 4 bulging discs, well two herniated and two bulging. The MRI also shows encroachment on the sac around the spinal cord and some spinal stenosis.

Anyway, the last chiro I went to caused me horrible pain. He was doing some head strapping down traction with pumping up an apparatus under my neck to increase the normal neck curve which I do not posess. I had the worst pain I can think of besides child-birth. I couldn't even sleep and was put on anti-inflammatories, steroids and pain killers. Finally the sharp pain left and I have residual pain now that is tolerable where that was not.

What I find though now that I dont have as much fear is that the pain moves around some and that if I can get relaxed the stiffness lets up some. I also find that the more stressed I get in every day life the ore it tightens and the wose the pain gets. On a good day I can feel almost fine so I don't worry so much that it's some horrible damage.
FlyByNight Posted - 10/21/2006 : 15:02:07
having sand or broken glass while turning your neck only means that there is direct bone contact. Because there is no intervertebral disk between the first and second cervical vertebra, muscle tension can induce such a noise by compressing these two bones together. Clicking can be a lot of thing, a ligament snapping on a bone process (this is what I have in this area), gas bubbles that snaps out the vertebral space, or te fibrous cap that crackle a bit... My personal experience is that, the more muscle tension you got, the more these symptoms will be present. As soon the tension go away, these symtoms diminish or are going away. if these are the only neck symptoms you got, I wouldnt worry too much and continue to do the good work.

P.

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000