TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Foot Pain (neuroma)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
wrldtrv Posted - 10/15/2006 : 20:26:11
I know Sarno talks about this and I've looked at threads that deal with it, but I would like to know what others think about Morton's Neuroma.

This, of course, is the burning pain under a metatarsal, usually the 2nd or 3rd. I had this about 7 yrs ago when training for a marathon. It went away and hasn't bothered me until recently. It flared up about 1 1/2 months ago for one day and then an occasional mild pain since then. But the past two days it has been bothering me quite a bit even though I haven't been running much lately. Yesterday, it bothered me under the 2nd metatarsal and today the 3rd metatarsal, though that could be referred pain.

Okay, the conventional wisdom says this is a nerve that is flared up. Often people get an injection to kill the nerve or surgery to remove the nerve. I know people who have had both treatments and soon were back where they started.

Sarno, I think, includes neuromas in TMS. Of course, it's difficult to consider it that when you feel the burning while walking. But it makes sense from this standpoint: Why don't people who have the injection or surgery always improve? If the overgrown or flared up nerve were the problem, these should take care of it. And why does neuroma go away without doing anything, as was the case with me 7 yrs ago? And why should the pain start out of the blue recently, despite not even running much?

I'm thinking out loud. Feel free to offer any input, experience you may have had. Thanks.

6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
wrldtrv Posted - 10/16/2006 : 23:09:20
Thanks everybody for your input. I know from my own experience that these foot pains do go eventually go away without treatment. Whether that is because it is TMS or a real condition that heals on itself, who knows? The fact that this time it arose w/out stressing it in any way, was suspicious. I do know that, though I am in most ways better of than I was a year ago, I am currently in the middle of a lot of stressful situations. I can certainly see how my brain would create something physical to worry about rather than the stressful situations.

I'm glad I've had the example of others I've known who have had the injections and the surgery and were no better off afterwards. All the more reason to avoid, since these procedures are done by podiatrists, a profession I rate just a hair above chiropracters, another dubious profession.
painintheneck Posted - 10/16/2006 : 12:15:36
I had the same type of foot pain back years ago when I was working. I was told it was probably calcification around a nerve. It would get so bad on occasion I could barely walk on it. It rarely bothers me any more and I had nothing done with it.
armchairlinguist Posted - 10/16/2006 : 11:56:14
IMHO, it's just the usual doctors don't know what's going on. I had foot pain for a year which was blamed on Morton's foot (25% of the population has this, yet only some get pain...hint hint!). Supports helped but it never went away. Presto it went away with my RSI after I learned about TMS.

--
Wherever you go, there you are.
art Posted - 10/16/2006 : 06:51:39
I had the metatarsalgia diagnosis...in pain for months and months....I got an injection and it only made me worse...

I finally decided it was TMS after hanging around the forum for a few months and resumed running...Eventually it went away...

The only concession I made to a possible structural explanation was deep massage...There's no question it was all knotted up, possibly from wearing running shoes that were too small...
shawnsmith Posted - 10/16/2006 : 06:21:20
The neuroma or the metatarsalgia are just, as you said, merely lables that doctors attach to things that they have no explanation for, just like fibromyalgia. I too have severe foot pain and, despite a number of tests finding nothing and past use of $350 foot supports, there is no relief.

In my humble opinionm if we get caught up in these lables then we are asking for trouble as we also get caught up in the dx and all that entails. Leave the lables to the good doctors and stick to the mental work as suggested by Dr. Sarno et al. Remember, you may be feeling the pain in your foot, but the origins or roots of that pain are elsewhere. Concentrating on the foot will not solve the problem.
Kristin Posted - 10/15/2006 : 21:44:13
I've been curious about this too because I haven't decided if my symptoms fit the neuroma or the metatarsalgia dx. Regardless, not to dwell too much on symptoms or physical labels, mine seems to hurt more in the a.m. and get better with walking or as the day progresses which is opposite from when the symptoms were accute. I was field marshal at a soccer tournament for a day labor day weekend, which included a lot of walking. There was a lot of visible swelling and I couldn't put any weight on my right foot for several days. I did ibuprophen, ice, and pain killers. It eventually got better in a few days but still is mildly painful every so often.
After the very painful attack, I have used TMS work to combat it with pretty good success, ie waking up reminds me that I have to go to the boring job that I am not enjoying much at all now. I would rather be doing somthing else. I ask myself what the foot pain is effectively distracting me from. etc.......it seems to work! There's a lot in my life that would be nice to ignore but apparently pain is the result! It's better to deal with the issues head-on!

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000