TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 brand new here

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
mensabuttercup Posted - 10/12/2006 : 21:36:55
I've been reading "healing back pain" and have "the mindbody prescription" ready to go next. I don't have an official diagnosis, and doubt i'll get one, but i'm pretty sure I have tms. I've been in pretty much constant and worsening pain since I quit smoking in January of 2006. My mobility has been compromised. When I started reading about tms, it was like a light went on in my head. now i'm trying to sort through all the emotions but it's not easy. i have a lot of repressed anger.

it now feels like all my emotions are right on the surface and very raw. is this normal?

i hope to learn lots by reading the books and seeing in the forums what people have done on an individual level to deal with this.
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
carbar Posted - 10/16/2006 : 20:24:18
quote:
Originally posted by Littlebird
But under that sadness is the anger that I need to get to. I need to stop focusing on the sadness and let myself acknowledge, and probably let myself feel, that anger. I guess I'm still not too comfortable with allowing myself to do that.

Thanks Corey, this makes sense for what I've been feeling lately. Lots of sadness and anxiety. Yes, where is the anger? Interesting to think I'd rather cry all morning than feel truly angry at things past and present.

Littlebird Posted - 10/15/2006 : 14:35:37
Hi again, Mensabuttercup.

Yesterday I was reading one of the books that people here recommend, Pain Free for Life, by Dr. Brady, and when I came to the chapter on "What's Really Causing Your Pain" I discovered what I think Dave was referring to when he said emotions can be a smokescreen for more dangerous emotions. Thought I'd share some of it with you.

Dr. Brady says that the dangerous emotions are anger, fear, and shame. He points out that many of us use milder synonyms, such as irritated, frustrated, bothered, concerned, worried, anxious, embarrased, guilty. We feel its more socially acceptable to exhibit these milder emotions, but this results in burying the true emotion which we feel we can't exhibit.

Reading this made me realize that when I have that raw emotional feeling, it seems like overwhelming sorrow over things that have occurred in my relationships, things that have made me feel like I'm not really loved, but have just been used and abused by certain people and held to unreasonable, perfectionistic standards by others who were never satisfied. But under that sadness is the anger that I need to get to. I need to stop focusing on the sadness and let myself acknowledge, and probably let myself feel, that anger. I guess I'm still not too comfortable with allowing myself to do that.

Hope this might be helpful. Take care--Corey

Littlebird Posted - 10/13/2006 : 14:58:17
Welcome, mensabuttercup. I still fairly new here myself. I can't say if it's normal for many people who discover TMS to have that feeling of raw emotions on the surface, but I can say that I'm feeling that way off and on. The smallest things--even tv commercials--seem to trigger overwhelming emotions.

However, I've been like this off and on for the past 4 years and only learned of TMS about 6 or 8 weeks ago, so I'm really intrigued by the response Dave gave you about these emotions being a smokescreen for the more dangerous emotions. Perhaps he or someone else here can elaborate on how to sort out the difference between the two types of feelings and identify the ones that are masking the deep stuff. Maybe that just comes in time through the jounaling and soul-searching?

I'm sure you'll find the forum helpful. Many of the comments I've seen have been very insightful. It's nice to have you here.

Corey
Dave Posted - 10/13/2006 : 11:06:55
quote:
Originally posted by mensabuttercup

it now feels like all my emotions are right on the surface and very raw. is this normal?

These emotions might simply be a smokescreen for the more "dangerous" emotions that are lurking below, which TMS is "protecting" you from feeling.

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000