TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Afraid of TMS diagnosis?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
painintheneck Posted - 10/12/2006 : 11:50:59
I'm curious if anyone has any fear when considering a TMS diagnosis. I also suffer from pretty bad anxiety and it's been worse since I started to explore TMS so I am wondering if after all, the anxiety is stemming form unrecognized and repressed emotions as well and I guess I have fear of exactly what I might uncover. I have suffered from trauma's and I always thought I coped well with it all but maybe I just pushed it all down so far that I never dealt with it at all. It's all a little scary. Being rural and already having tried the therapist that does come here with negative results, psychotherapy isn't an option at this point so I am going to have to work on this on my own.

Has anyone had similar concerns of this nature?
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Wavy Soul Posted - 10/14/2006 : 05:16:53
Hi Painintheneck ,

You said: "when the event happened years ago I felt for a short time as though I was losing my mind all together and had to fight it. I'm not nutty really but it was traumatic and left a big hole in my heart and I had no idea how to deal with it"

Yeah - me too! But now you can unwrap it at your own pace. It will never be worse than it was originally. Journalling works really well. Try writing until your name is paininthewrist...

Sorry... just kidding, but I did wonder to myself if identifying yourself as your symptom will make it easy to change!

We are with you and you are not alone in having had this trauma - although I know that when my trauma occurred I felt like the only person in the universe who was going through such a thing. My extreme trauma involved not only the people I was closest to but members of what I thought was my community, so I found myself cut off from all my previous resources.

To my own surprise, I found 12-step meeting very helpful (any meeting). It was good to be anonymous and there was a lot of compassion available. If your trauma involved loved ones, AlAnon is a good place to start even if there wasn't an alcoholic involved. I would just sit at the back and cry and after the meeting I felt like I had had some therapy. And the price is right!

All the best!

xx

Love is the answer, whatever the question
larkascending Posted - 10/13/2006 : 09:44:42
Hey, why not try telephone therapy? I have done so with good results. There are always options out there if you look hard enough. I 'screened' a half a dozen therapists by telephone until I talked to one I was comfortable with (by screening I just mean talking to them about why I wanted to do telephone therapy and what my problem was and then just listening to their reactions, their way of speaking).
Lark.
painintheneck Posted - 10/12/2006 : 22:37:15
Thanks for your response. I am going to be working on some books and see if that helps any. It's just hard to figure out in what direction to go to get started. I have an issue that keeps coming up lately again stirring up emotional reactions so I suppose that is one I should try to work on in the near future. It's one that scares me because when the event happened years ago I felt for a short time as though I was losing my mind all together and had to fight it. I'm not nutty really but it was traumatic and left a big hole in my heart and I had no idea how to deal with it so it's a biggie. Well hopefully I can do some work on it and make some progress without having too much problems. I may look for a support group too and see if that will help me on the issue. I honestly don't know where to start but that one keeps popping up so I think it needs some attention.
Littlebird Posted - 10/12/2006 : 16:33:14
Hi there,

I wouldn't say that I'm afraid of the TMS dx exactly, but I am nervous about some of the stuff I may uncover. Relationships that are the center of my life are definitely involved in some of the repressed anger and emotional pain. I kind of feel like I'm holding back a bit because I sort of fear really falling apart emotionally and worry about how it may affect those relationships. But I'm trying to keep telling myself it will make the relationships better in the end.

I think it's possible to do a lot of emotional work on one's own, especially since we can use this forum to bounce ideas off others and get other perspectives we may not see on our own. I've used county mental health services, which are not very good here, and I feel like I've probably gotten more out of books I've read and friends and others with whom I've talked. I'm not saying that quality professional guidance wouldn't be nice to have, but I wouldn't let not having access to it hold me back from trying to do what I can on my own.

Dr. Sarno has said that it's the people who appear to be coping with traumas well who are likely to be repressing, so you could very well have pushed things down and not really dealt with them.

Corey

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000