TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Ankle/Leg Pain Changes -- Sitting v. Standing

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Jeff Posted - 10/06/2006 : 08:55:52
I am wondering if others have experienced the situation where their pain changes depending on whether they are sitting or standing. I have significant lower leg and ankle pain. The pain is there at a low level when I wake up in the morning, but then as I get to work and sit at my desk, it becomes more noticeable and it gets worse as the day goes by. However, I notice that when I stand up and walk around, the pain subsides somewhat. My doctor said this was proof that there is something in my lower back impinging on a nerve that goes down my legs and into my ankles, and that sitting down in front of the PC at work is what causes the impingement to become so acute that I notice it. The TMS explanation, I think, would be that the pain increases due to the anxiety, tension, stress, etc. that I feel as I work at my job during the day. But if that is true, why would it decrease when I stand up and walk around? Would appreciate your thoughts.
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
seven Posted - 01/03/2007 : 06:47:10
Thanks TT,

Your post are always encouraging to me.

I forgot to mention, I feel much, much more relaxed and happy and easy going in activity during the day after dealing with some of the repressed emotions of my past.

I am also watching and learning to deal with my emotions each day as they come to my attention. I don't unload on people in the stores but I due allow myself to experience the anger when offended. I keep feeling the emotion and continue to think about the event that just happened and caused the anger until there is no longer any negative emotions there to experience.

Jimmy
tennis tom Posted - 01/03/2007 : 06:06:25
Good Job, Seven! That's a TMS success story. Three weeks and you are seeing the results. What't also impressive is that you went back to the archives for some of the work. It can be a useful tool also.

You wrote it very eloquently and it could serve as an action model for others.

Regards,
tt
seven Posted - 01/03/2007 : 04:15:05
My ankle pain is "exactly" the same as Jeff's!

I woke up this morning virtually pain free. I have been reading and practicing the principles of recover for about 3 weeks. I was pretty much pain free yesterday morning and then pain came back moderately as the day went on.

Last weekend I walked down to the lake near where I live and had a 1 1/2 talk with my mom and dad and told them how much anger, rage and resentment I had over the way they abused me as a little boy. Of course neither of them was there in person. My mom died 3 years ago and my dad is 92.

I expressed every emotion and painful event that I could remember in the order in which they occurred.

I told my dad, you know dad I am 63 years old and you have never once told me you loved me. You never threw a baseball to me, a football, you never took me fishing, camping, hiking, nothing! You never gave me 5 minutes of your free time except when you would punch me in the face when I was 7 years old, kick me in the ribs and call me a coward for not getting up and fighting you back.

I went through every event I could think of just like the above with both my mom and dad and I experience extreme anger and rage. When it was over I was exhausted but felt relieved. I got a lot off my chest. I can not undue the years of abuse but I figured I could and did experience the intense pain, anger, rage.

I told my mom I wished she would have had the guts to abort me instead of bring me into the world unloved, unwanted and then abusing me for years. I told her I knew why she didn't abort me and that was because she was a Catholic and afraid of going to hell for practicing birth control. I explained bring me into the world and beating and abusing me was a sorry alternative.

Sorry to rattle on but all this really help me get some closure and to experience the pain, rage, humiliation, anger, injustice, etc. that I was not allowed to express while all this was happening.

Regards,

Jimmy
Fox Posted - 10/06/2006 : 14:26:50
Sounds exactly like my leg/ankle pain that had persisted for 20 years despite four surgeries until I got serious about Sarno. It's conditioning. Stick with Sarno. I'm now about 90% better and can think away the pain when it comes within minutes (sometimes it takes a little longer),
armchairlinguist Posted - 10/06/2006 : 11:07:15
Jeff,

Fred Amir's book (Rapid Recovery from Back and Neck Pain) has a great description of how this happened to him.

Pretty much everyone with TMS has pain that varies depending on how they sit or move. It's a function of conditioning, which is an important aspect of how TMS fools us. If we always get pain when we do something, we stop doing that thing, or worry about doing it, and we look for physical reasons why that thing is bad. That's distraction.

I used to be able to change my RSI pain depending on what keyboard and mouse I was using, as well as whether I rested my hands or held them straight. The physical explanation is that comfortable posture and straight wrists are better for muscle and joint use. The real reason is that I was told that, so I got less pain when I believed I would get less, and vice versa.

--
Wherever you go, there you are.

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000