TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Interesting point on placebo/expectations

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Hillbilly Posted - 10/03/2006 : 17:27:03
I just finished reading one of the most resonant quotations for my situation and my struggle with this pain menace the past two years. I thought back to what was going on in my mind around the time I got hit with the chronic spasms and realized that my mindset was exactly like this. It might also describe exactly why my progress has been incomplete. The book touches greatly on the work of Hans Selye and H.K. Beecher, two pioneers in the area of mindbody medicine. Sarno is also given a reference, although as John Spano. Thought I would share:

"If we are at a certain age and feel within our bodies certain discomforts, how we interpret them becomes crucial. If we take them as a sign of serious disease and breakdown expected at this age in life, then we are accepting and giving in to a presumed fatality. To anticipate pathology is, functionally, tantamount to intending it. This unleashes dangerous reactions in the brain and in the immune system.
If we habitually cringe in response to bodily discomforts, expecting the worst, we are chronically reinforcing this discomfort as a permanent condition, which then becomes resistant to improvement."

It's like when you first read Sarno's book and realized that this was your ticket home, you expected to get better. I somehow, and I suspect many others who visit here, did not fully expect the recovery due to doubts over the theory. I think it wise for all of us to accept this stuff without fearful withdrawal and cringing and expect that no matter how bad today was, that tomorrow may indeed signal the turning of the tide.

-- Believe you will or believe you won't. Either way you'll be right.
Henry Ford
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Hillbilly Posted - 10/05/2006 : 19:39:56
SS,
Book is titled Somatics, by Thomas Hanna. Brilliant stuff, although his treatment plan is not going to be in line with Sarno's. IMHO, it's worth a look whether you've found Sarno's treatment plan helpful or if you are still struggling. I'm in misery right now trying ot deal with my trapezius/ upper spine pain.
Wavy Soul Posted - 10/05/2006 : 07:14:34
DARKO,

There is a thread somewhere on insomnia, and they recomment a book called SAY GOODNIGHT TO INSOMNIA which I am reading which is Sarnoish

xx

Love is the answer, whatever the question
Darko Posted - 10/04/2006 : 17:31:22
Thanks for the advice Doc, but I'm not quiet sure what I can try aside from getting up in the middle of the night to break my sleep up. It's funny, the time it takes for the pain to set in varies. I have been making a large effort these last two days to have a much much more positive frame of mind, and focus/write about how things make me feel during the day. Really focusing on my fellings, and I must say the last night, even though I only had enough time for about 5 and a half hours sleep, I woke up in very little pain. I'll see if I can do the same again for tonight.
DR. CHRIS Posted - 10/03/2006 : 21:24:50
Darko. You might want to change your sleeping or night time habit's, If you are able to? You might have your brain programed to initiate your (TMS) symptom's @ this time.(A very common hospital problem) Remember your brain is very mischievous, And look's for any opportunity to go back to it's old way's. Slightly off topic, But very relevant to those thinking placebo is the answer, In the good old US of A, Big Pharma's multi billion dollar industry spent more on advertising then Budwiser & pepsi last year. The AD's are known as direct to consumer spot's and they've increased 500 percent in eight years.They're so prevalent-and persuasive-that many doctors I know report patients coming into their offices requesting specific items even though they don't know what they're for?
tennis tom Posted - 10/03/2006 : 21:20:32
Thanks for sharing that HillBilly, is was very inspirational and true. Also liked the quote by Henry Ford.

Cheers,
tt
sonora sky Posted - 10/03/2006 : 20:49:58
What's the title of this book?

Thanks,
ss
Darko Posted - 10/03/2006 : 20:36:06
Hillbilly,
I don't think this is as black and white as it first appears. I've had my second series of pain now for about 4 years, only happens at night. During the day it always improves, if not totally goes. I accept TMS as the cause for my pain, without I doubt I believe. But I still have pain! This is a complicated condition and there are sometimes even more complicated manifestations of it. I think for me it's a matter of finding the right tools to fit the job, and re-train my head. I would love it if the was a silver bullet, but I think in my case I need to use a few bullets instead. Can anyone else relate to this?

Darko

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000