TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Shoulder Problems?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Gecco Posted - 10/02/2006 : 12:03:54
Does anyone have any good insights about shoulder pain? Any have any luck with conquering shoulder pain?

I have suffered from Chronic Shoulder pain for years. Surgeon is ready to do the surgery (decompression / impingment) but I have serious doubts that this problem is in fact structural. Pain is worse during stressful times and never really goes away but seems to range from a 2-7 (out of 10). Tried phyiscial therapy (did not help). Pain seems to move around the shoulder (front, top, back). Pain is generalized and hard to pinpoint (usually). Some light "creaking." MRI showed no tears (yet I am told that the MRI is not very useful with shoulders), but I am told to have a Type II acrimion. Hurts worse after I lift anything heavy with it (maybe a conditioned response). Pain typically kicks in several hours later and can last for days or weeks.

I have been trying to apply TMS techniques (journaling, self talk, etc.) and go back and forth about whether or not to do the surgery. 6 months I opted to do the surgery and the pain diminished greatly and in fact the other shoulder started to hurt. Needless to say I backed out of the surgery. I know this sound like classic TMS, but the pain is not going away and this has gone on for years. Very tiresome. Any thoughts, similar experiences?
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
h2oskier25 Posted - 10/02/2006 : 14:35:13
Your pain diminished and the other shoulder hurt. CLASSIC TMS.

Work to convince yourself of the diagnosis. Order Dr. Schecheters CD's and play them in the car. (www.mindbodymedicine.com)

RESUME NORMAL ACTIVITY, and work out and make your body strong.

Easier said than done, but we're here for you.

Live on !!

Regards,

Beth
Tunza Posted - 10/02/2006 : 14:10:00
Hi Gecco,

Take a look at this post if you haven't already:

http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2447

You can find other posts re shoulders by using the search button at the top right hand side of the forum page.

Tunza
salamander Posted - 10/02/2006 : 12:40:21
Gecco,

Yes I had very bad shoulder problem following swimming while I was rehabing a knee. The shoulder locked up and was frozen after swimming. Two MRI's latter, showed the same acromium process that you are diagnosed with (ei- hooked in such a way to cause impingment). Well, after leaving my job from disability, and rehabing the knee and shoulder, the pain in both disappeared.

However, I'm convinced that it was not the rehab that made the pain disappear, but rather my leaving my job. I'm convinced I had TMS in both my knee and shoulder.

I will say that I went to a message therapist for the shoulder. The deep tissue message helped me. Again, I don't know if this was a placebo effect or not. All I know is that the so called "trigger points" eventually disappeared and I have been pain free ever since.

You are in a tough position because it sounds like you are still focused on the "structural". Here is where the problem lies. As you know, if any doubt lingers that your pain is caused by some structural problem, then you will not get better (the TMS delema). My suggestion would be to give the TMS diagnosis another chance. Try and move on as if nothing is wrong. Continue to "work out" in the gym, but don't consider it rehab. Go to a message therapist, if you like, but go because it feels good, not becuase it is curing a problem.

Hope this is of some help somehow. My shoulder problem lasted for almost a year. If you fit the TMS profile in terms of personality characteristics, then deep down I think you know what the problem is.

Regards,

Doug

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000