TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Question for Athletes

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
wrldtrv Posted - 10/01/2006 : 21:53:21
I'm directing this to athletes because I think they have BOTH the necessary first hand experience and knowledge of sports injuries AND of TMS to comment credibly on this point:

Lately, I have begun to wonder if it is cheating to take any theraputic steps whatever regarding the common everyday overuse soreness, stiffness, that occurs 24-48 hours after a hard workout (due to micro tears). My opinion is that as long as it is clear these things are not TMS, but simply normal occasional soreness, etc, it is okay to ice, take ibuprofin, that sort of thing. Any opinions?
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
westcoastram Posted - 10/03/2006 : 14:18:04
wrldtv,

Just saw this post. Totally can relate. Ever since I've gotten over my big TMS pain (shoulder injury and hamstring pull that were chronic) I find that I get "nicked" up pretty easily when I'm at the gym or out playing sports.

It'll feel like I pulled or strained something and it might bother me for a day or two but they're small pains and I've come to know them as TMS so I just go about my days and they always disappear when I play the sport or go to the gym again.
wrldtrv Posted - 10/02/2006 : 23:50:58
Thx all. The question arose because I so often seem to have symptoms of one kind or another (foot pain, leg/butt soreness, tightness, and so on). Mostly minor stuff, but still a nuisance. I often wonder whether I should treat something as TMS or sports-related because sometimes a symptom will occur after a workout and sometimes after not doing a thing for days.

I've had a butt/hamstring sore/tightness thing that has been going on for almost a year now. I had the same thing, same leg, about 5 yrs ago. Then, it lasted 6 months or longer and then went away. If I don't run for several days it seems to fade, almost disappear. On the other hand, if I do the opposite, like when I ran for 40 days in a row it ALSO seems to get better, so it's hard to determine whether running is making it better or worse.

I've noticed another curious thing. For several years I have gone to a meditation group (not very often). I notice that after sitting for 30-40 minutes, the same leg "goes to sleep." Never the other one. I wonder if it's related.

I realize it is probably a mistake to thing structurally rather than psychologically, but I'm just putting out the various possibilities other than TMS.
Monte Posted - 10/02/2006 : 21:37:21
when I was suffering with tms pain and training hard I would have to have a couple of easy days between hard efforts...now 10 years later, no tms, and training at a much higher level I
don't need the easy days. still take them, but not because of soreness/stiffness...I would not say that it is common to have overuse sorness/stiffness unless there is a big gap between your hard efforts...
Monte Hueftle
www.runningpain.com
tennis tom Posted - 10/02/2006 : 00:53:17
Pre and post-event massages. Whirl-pool baths. Saw a picture of the SF 49ers, at training camp at Rocklin once, sitting in 55 gal drums of ice, didn't look too comfy but that's what real athelets do. Tylenol as needed not to exceed the dosage on the bottle. Micro-tears sound like a TMS hang-up. Done 13 marathons and never seen any micro tears inside or outside.
ndb Posted - 10/01/2006 : 22:01:57
Disclaimer: I wouldn't call myself an athlete. So real athletes should probably comment on this.

I've found the best TMS-consistent thing to do for soreness is to take a light jog or do some light aerobic activity and a bit of stretching if you feel like it. I believe the soreness is because of accumulated lactic acid produced by the muscles when they were working hard without enough oxygen. Light activity increases the blood flow everywhere, and helps flush away the lactic acid. I've never had it bad enough to take ice or ibuprofen. As for micro-tears, I'm not sure what that feels like.

ndb

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000