TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Mind and Body

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
2scoops Posted - 10/01/2006 : 17:23:02
I wanted to post this because I'm trying to look after my whole health. I've been doing sarno and I also want to eat healthier. I am in college and my life is work full time then go to school and come home and study. so my meals are usually something quick, which means fast food. So I'm thinking I also need to take care of my body. I did somethings that I am regretting, I had my silver amalgams taken out of my teeth, because I was pursuaded that they could be damaging my health, maybe that's what thy mean by nocebo. I also started chelating, using DMSA and ALA, well I started taking ALA. I took 100mg every four hours for 3 days and that was 3 weeks ago, and it is still tearing up my stomach, and after I ear my stomach makes a gargling noise. It really has me concerned that I damaged myself. I'm not sure whether to go to the doctor, because you never know what they will tell me and how much more programming they will try and do to me. I am feeling sick all the time and really don't have much energy. I am wondering how much of this is TMS, and how much is from the suppllements I took. I know that I am very angry that I spent over $1,400 getting my fillings out and now I have pain from chewing food and cold sensitivies, and anger that i actually let myself be persuaded into it, I'm mad at myself and those who told me about it. I got myself thinking I might actually be mercury poisioned, from symptoms i had as a baby. Sorry to rumble on but I could use some advice, and a good kick in the pants. Thanks
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Wavy Soul Posted - 10/05/2006 : 07:03:03
I had mine removed about 20 years ago, for chronic fatigue syndrome (or was it?)

My teeth collapsed and went into root canals. I was in unbelievable pain and I went bankrupt from what it all cost.

Not coming to any conclusions about what this means, but...

Anybody have any comments about TMS and dentistry? I'm going to start a thread.

Love is the answer, whatever the question
altherunner Posted - 10/04/2006 : 19:46:13
Yes - she did remove them, over a period of a year, as she had a lot of them. She was better within a year of having them removed, after
having quite severe symptoms. This could be a coincidence, placebo,
etc., but of course she is happy and doing well several years after.
2scoops Posted - 10/04/2006 : 08:28:46
Al, did she remove them? I know you said the doctor recommended it.
altherunner Posted - 10/04/2006 : 06:28:25
My sister had been diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis 12 years ago, and her doctor reccomended removing her mercuty amalgam fillings.
Her symptoms have been in remission for 10 years now. I have read the Quackwatch articles on this, and I have also read a book that has another perspective on this, The Curious Man, by Dr. Hans Neiper.
2scoops Posted - 10/03/2006 : 09:21:26
Dr. Ziggles, do you know some of the dangers of chelation?

I was also owndering if the stomach pain and gargling could be TMS? I know the stomach pain but the gargling is very new to me. I would b very careful about taking that much ALA. I know I worry too much and that's not helping. Iwould just like to know a definitive answer. I had the interview today and it went well. I am seeing a doctor today about my stomach. I never had this problem this long, so hopefully all goes well. I'm not sure what he will tell me about taking this antibiotic that I'm on my for my cyst.
tennis tom Posted - 10/02/2006 : 18:04:04
quote:
Originally posted by wrldtrv

TT--As usual, your "wisdom" is based upon ignorance (willful) and arrogance rather than facts.

I detect a pattern. The way you quickly sum up the world, whether religion, politics, health, global warming--you name it, is curious. Sounds like a narcissistic need to CONTROL. If all the facts and experts are full of crap, if you know more than they, if everybody is fooled except you, then you are the expert, you are the authority, you are in control. Nice fantasy if you can maintain it.

By Jove you've got it WT FREUD! You've summed me up exactly. I am the expert on MY life and MY health. That's what TMS work means to me. You can be a lemming or a sheep if you want and let the EXPERTZ lead you around by the nose but I won't. I'll do my research and then come to MY conslusions. I have a right to post here and every time I do the screen thanks me for my contribution.

This has obviously gotten personal for you, a liitle hard feelings from the Al Gore thread maybe? For the life of me I don't know why what I think means a pile of beans to you, but your posts about me are always full of name calling and invective. It's just a TV screen don't take what you see on it so personaly, sheesh. Why can't you accept that not everyone on the planet thinks like you, I can.
drziggles Posted - 10/02/2006 : 17:24:33
I know this whole thing is off topic, but folks--stop the chelation!!! This is not a way to maintain your health, it is totally unproven and potentially dangerous.

You want to take good care of your health? Have a balanced diet, nothing to the extreme. Exercise several times a week, preferably doing something you enjoy. Get an annual checkup, and if you have hypertension, diabetes, or high cholesterol treat them, with medications if necessary. Take a multivitamin if you desire, but you don't need anything else with a balanced diet, unless you have a particular vitamin deficiency, which is uncommon. You like fast food? Have it once a week, or even better once a month. Like a drink? Have one or two a day, but not more. Enjoy yourself and be productive. Vote. Do your TMS work, but don't obsess about that, or about anything else for that matter. Read something and turn off your TV one night a week.

Taking care of yourself takes some time and effort, and there is no shortcut. Hasn't TMS taught you that yet?
miche Posted - 10/02/2006 : 15:14:17
Write to DoctorCinque@hotmail.com
and I will try to help you. It's free
Question No.: 17542
Submitted By: Anonymous
Submitted on: May 9, 2006
Subject: Is DMSA working?

Question:
How do you know if the DMSA is working? I am taking a prescription DMSA (wish I had seen this first) and I take 5 100 mg pills 3 times a week. Should these be taken all at once or split out throughout the day. I take them all in the morning and get it over with.

Dr. Cinque's Answer:
If you're not feeling anything, that's good, because the only things you are possibly going to feel from taking DMSA are bad things, like stomach pain, nausea, headache, etc. So, count yourself lucky if you are not having any of those symptoms. To measure the effect of it, you have to repeat whatever testing you did in the first place when you found out you had a mercury problem, whether it was a blood or urine analysis. If it depended on hair analysis, it takes longer for that to show up in a repeat test. I favor taking DMSA in divided doses.
miche Posted - 10/02/2006 : 15:04:52
Originally posted by Marciano
I've recently started taking ALA at 1200-1500 mgs per day, and have noticed some nausea and stomach pain lately. Is this a known side effect?

At 1500 mg for one meal, I felt slight heartburn. I just drank lots more water, and I was fine.

From a forum on weight lifting, hope this help
h2oskier25 Posted - 10/02/2006 : 14:49:42
Scoops, I don't think the Alpha Lipoic Acid did it, frankly.

I love this topic. It's funny how some people with TMS feel that all digestive issues are TMS. Does that mean I can live on Milky Way bars and live a happy, healthy life?

Scoops, you definitely need to calm down, and realize that you're a whole lot more nervous about the test and the interview than your stomach, so realize this: In 10,000 years the world will be covered with ice (Or will have boiled over, if you believe Al Gore - and I'm not saying I don't believe Al Gore) and your test and interview won't have mattered a hill of beans. Take a deep breath, and count your blessings for a healthy body, which you have whether it feels like it right now or not.

As far as the Food issue goes, I believe you are what you eat. You can't be strong and healthy and live on twinkies. It's hard eating well on 2scoops' schedule, so fit in some steamed veggies (or raw) whenever you can and don't worry about the rest of it. Don't drink sodas and have lots of water. What else can you do?

Gosh it's nice to have healthy debate again

Cheers,

Beth
2scoops Posted - 10/02/2006 : 13:45:12
I take plenty of vitamin c and e. I just got back from the dentist, I needed a root canal, to help remove a cyst from my gums. I am now on antibiotics because there is an infection. Anyway, I haven't been feeling well, very fatigued, and stomach problems. There are new, and happened shortly after taking high doses of Alpha Lopoic Acid. Not sure really what is going on, but on top of my familiar TMS symptoms, I have to deal with this, and it's not a good time, have a test tonight and a job interview tomorrow.
Scottydog Posted - 10/02/2006 : 13:38:22
2scoops,

I remind my kids (at college or working long hours so possibly not eating well) to eat an apple a day (vits, antioxidants, roughage) and squeeze an orange every other day (vit C) which should keep them pretty healthy.

Anne
wrldtrv Posted - 10/02/2006 : 13:18:28
TT--As usual, your "wisdom" is based upon ignorance (willful) and arrogance rather than facts.

Where to begin? Your comment earlier comment about fast food was a winner. Fast food no worse than healthy food? Sure, all fats, carbohydrates and proteins are exactly equivalent, whether supplied by fast food or healthy food. But, that's not the point. If you eat a steady diet of Mcdonalds, eventually, you will not only baloon out, but your arteries will be clogged, your tissues will will be loaded with cancer-causing chemicals.

Am I an expert? At least as much as you claim to be. Ditto on the lifelong athletics, marathons, etc. I've taken many related courses, incl nutrition. I've also read widely on the subject, make it my business to know about it because it has always been a favorite of mine.

By the way, where do you get your facts? Sounds like you do a little reading on the subject, watch a tv program, and then immediately dismiss the information as bogus, the expert as simply trying to make a quick buck. And you base this great insight on what, exactly?

I detect a pattern. The way you quickly sum up the world, whether religion, politics, health, global warming--you name it, is curious. Sounds like a narcissistic need to CONTROL. If all the facts and experts are full of crap, if you know more than they, if everybody is fooled except you, then you are the expert, you are the authority, you are in control. Nice fantasy if you can maintain it.
tennis tom Posted - 10/02/2006 : 09:44:17
SS,

I agree with everything you say.

Regards,
tt
sonora sky Posted - 10/02/2006 : 08:02:59
quote:
Originally posted by tennis tom

quoteing ss:

"There have been staggering increases in heart disease, diabetes, and obesity in the US, and it is largely due to what we're putting inside our bodies."
---------------------------------------------------------------

I'll disagree on that one Sonora. The reason for those illnesses is NOT due to fast food but due to our sedentary life styles thanks to the auto, and all the other work-motion saving inventions of industrialism. We drive to work where we sit on our increasingly fat butts all day and don't move, go home and sit on the couch and punch the remote.

Yes, TT, our sedentary lifestyles do contribute to all of the above, but fast food (drive-thrus) and TV dinners further promote being sedentary. I know it's chicken or egg on this one, but you have to agree that one reinforces the other.

quote:

There are books and movies coming out everyday on all manner of subjects. It doesn't mean their creators know what they are talking about.

So, by this rationale, you might not know what you're talking about either? Wait, that can't be possible!

quote:

Obsessing about food is just another TMS distraction.

I don't suggest obsessing about anything, just becoming as informed as possible about the decisions we make. That means getting your news/information from a variety of sources, and not just ones where they feature men stuffing spinach down their pants.

Becoming mindful (which has been discussed quite a bit on this forum) is very different from--perhaps the opposite of--obsessing.

TT, I think you'd actually like Omnivore's Dilemma. It would give you something to chew on. . . some food for thought.

ss
tennis tom Posted - 10/02/2006 : 00:25:03
quoteing world:

" Hey TT, are you also an expert on nutrition, along with all your other talents?"
-----------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the complement WT, are you?

Yup, I've been eating all my life, and been in the restaurant business three times. Been an athlete on a national level, observed the eating habits of many other athletes and taken numerous courses and read widely on the subject.

It's not what you eat as much as what you do with it. You're body will tell you what you need and when you need it. It's not all that complicated.

There are athletes that would appear to be overweight and underneath the fat are in terrific conditon and do amazing feats. Corolaraly there are junior kids who look like string beans with no discernable muscle and hit the snot out of the ball because they have good technique.

WT, I see you're still stuck in your typical liberal way of "argument". You can't allow for views that differ from yours, have no reciprocal comments to justify your views and can only respond with derision, ridicule and name calling. Probably why you have TMS.
wrldtrv Posted - 10/01/2006 : 22:25:19
Nothing wrong with fast food. If you break down the ingredients it's probably as nutritious as anything in a vegan restaurant. All the anti-fast-food news is just media hype propaganda on slow news days.

So says TT. Hey TT, are you also an expert on nutrition, along with all your other talents?

I could go on and on about how you don't know what you are talking about, but I guess a guy who gets his news from Fox will remain unconvinced.
carbar Posted - 10/01/2006 : 22:02:05
quote:

I think that you have some kind of point here. But, there's a difference between obsessing and following general nutrition. I know I feel a difference in mental function, if not physical, if I'm not eating SOME amount of fruits and veggies everyday. And it sure is easy to have a day of cereal, pasta and PBJ when you are a young person on a budget. :)

Practically, I'd say consider eating health fast food an investment in yourself and well being. There's plenty of fast food stuff avail now that's definitely healthful. Sometimes it's more pricy. Yes, a salad is $6 and a bagel is $2, but maybe you can make two meals out it. And you'll be saving lots of $$ on suppliments coz you won't need em. :)

I won't even go there with your homeless person point, other than to say I do appreciate it Tom that you have so many examples of people being hearty to share on the forum. I appreciate that reminder.
tennis tom Posted - 10/01/2006 : 21:47:54
quoteing ss:

"There have been staggering increases in heart disease, diabetes, and obesity in the US, and it is largely due to what we're putting inside our bodies."
---------------------------------------------------------------

I'll disagree on that one Sonora. The reason for those illnesses is NOT due to fast food but due to our sedentary life styles thanks to the auto, and all the other work-motion saving inventions of industrialism. We drive to work where we sit on our increasingly fat butts all day and don't move, go home and sit on the couch and punch the remote.

One of the most nutrious and one of my favorite meals is an In-N-Out cheese burger with fries and a milkshake, and if I wasn't 30 lbs overweight from the aforementioned modern amenities I would eat there everyday. I was excited to see that Round Table has a new pizza with a cornmeal crust, my favorite. I can hardly wait to order one to break the fast.

There are books and movies coming out everyday on all manner of subjects. It doesn't mean their creators know what they are talking about. I guess they gotta' eat too! I saw the guy who made "SuperSize Me", interviewed and saw that he was out to make a fast buck off of fast food. He's the Michael Moore of McDonald's.

sonora sky Posted - 10/01/2006 : 21:18:29
There's nothing wrong with fast food?!?!? I don't want to start anything, but, um, I have to disagree on this one. Sure, our bodies are amazing machines that can handle most of the stuff we do to them. . .BUT, I have to stress moderation, here. There have been staggering increases in heart disease, diabetes, and obesity in the US, and it is largely due to what we're putting inside our bodies. A long-term diet that consists entirely of processed and fast foods is simply unhealthy. When I eat a lot of that stuff for a period of time, I even start to feel lethargic--it really creeps me out. Anyway, I don't eat much of it anymore, because I got turned off for several reasons.

But I do know the life of a student all too well, and it IS very hard to have enough time and energy to prepare something from scratch. For me, it was a sort of mental switch: I just decided to become more mindful about what I ate. This included finding out where my food came from, how it was processed, how much energy went into getting the food from its point of origin (which would be, I guess field or laboratory, depending on the type of food) to my mouth. This kind of research obviously takes more time and effort than swinging through a drive-through, but I have to say that I really feel better knowing than not.

If you're interested to read on this topic, there's a great book that recently came out called The Omnivore's Dilemma, by Michael Pollan. Check out the description on Amazon.

If you're looking for an investigation of the fast food industry, check out Fast Food Nation (book and soon-to-be film). I will warn you that it is very revealing and quite shocking--you may not want to eat fast food ever again. I actually stopped reading it part-way through, because it was just too disturbing. And, of course, there's the documentary Super Size Me.

Just wanted to get the info out there for those who are interested.

Best,
ss

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000