TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 or do I just need glasses?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
carbar Posted - 09/18/2006 : 21:36:01

hey yall,

I haven't been posting much about symptoms lately, but I was hoping for some perspective on this.

Background on stress: On Sept 1 moved to a new neighborhood after a breakup three months ago, just started a new job (that I like so far, but it's challenging), bunch of friends relocated in last month or 2.

Okay. So, pre-move and job, I went to the doctor to get a physical for my new job. Now, I don't ever like the doctor and I question everyone's professionalism these days coz of all the b.s. I've seen out there.

But, needless to say, part of this physical was a vision test. I've always had 20/20 vision growing up. The nurse had me stand far from the sign on the wall and read a line at the bottom. And for the first time it was blurry. Like I could guess the letters, but I really couldn't read them. I kind of wonder if I was standing too far away. She still marked me 20/20 coz I could read the line above the very bottom.

Now, when I am reading at night in the dim light, my eyes feel very tired. I also feel little headaches in the center of my head sometimes after starting at the computer for a while. And in general, focusing has seemed a bit harder.

Before I had the vision test though, I didn't notice any of this. So, I'm wondering if this is a kind of TMS symptom. Anyone have this experience?

Once my med insurence gets all official-like with the new job, I can go to an eye doctor for an exam. SO, probly not more that a month.

It was probly around this age when my mom started wearing glasses for distances, so it could be that it's just my time. I just find it funny that I didn't notice anything til after the test....
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
carbar Posted - 09/19/2006 : 21:06:43

Thanks for the input, everyone. Yes, definitely I plan on going to an eye doctor soon. And I think I am probly having some eye symptoms as a TMS equilivant. So, onto dealing with the stress matters at hand and all the feelings at work of dealing with new colleages and students. And the excess of changes in personal life stuff.

Tom, I'm not sure I can really make it through that website tonight, but I'll keep it in mind. I'm not sure I have the energy to consider the possibility that I could retrain my eyes or brain to see better.

:) carbar

tennis tom Posted - 09/19/2006 : 09:08:59
For anyone interested in further reading about VISION/vision, I highly reccommend the books by Dr. John-Michael Kaplan. References to his books can be found here:

http://www.i-see.org/
ralphyde Posted - 09/19/2006 : 08:46:53
Your eyes will adapt to what you use them for. If you do a lot of close work like reading and computer work, you'll gradually become nearsighted, (as I did in my late 20's). To counteract this tendency, you can use reading glasses for reading only or computer work, and thereby preserve your distant vision. (I got my distant vision back in my 30's by stopping wearing my prescription glasses, and using reading glasses for close work.) As you get into your 40s and 50s, the focusing muscles get weaker, and reading glasses become more important in preserving your distant vision.

Ralph
Dave Posted - 09/19/2006 : 07:55:59
If you have not been to an ophthalmologist for awhile I suggest you get a full check up. You don't want to mess with your vision.
art Posted - 09/19/2006 : 04:41:52
For some reason vision is an easy thing to get hypochondriacal about. I've had various eye issues, including nearsightedness, a botched surgery for nearsightedness that resulted in near nightblindness, and a torn retina that went undiagnosed for a while...

With all this stuff, I tend to imagine things about my vision...that I'm not focusing properly, or that I'm not seeing as well out of one eye as the other...it's all b.s.

As to your incipient nearsightedness,you probably wouldn't notice small changes in your vision.

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000