TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Experience/Opinions about Anti-Depressants

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
elsfive Posted - 09/13/2006 : 12:57:32
I am looking for anyone's opinion or experience with anti-depressants in helping with TMS.

I had my first therapy session a couple of days ago with an LCSW who I was referred to by my TMS doctor. The LCSW recommended that in addition to seeing her for psychotherapy, I see someone who can prescribe some kind of anti-depressant/anti-anxiety medication. My only experience with antidepressants are that I took Zoloft for a couple of weeks like 10 years ago and did not like the way it made me feel. I am not the biggest fan of anti-depressants and because of my digestive problems, I have a fear of all pills. But at this point, if taking them will help, I guess I have to be open to it.

I'd like to make an informed decision, so any info positive or negative would be greatly appreciated.
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Scottydog Posted - 09/17/2006 : 07:26:52
I found this website the other day - an online help programme for depression - and it's free - also Dr Chris Williams, who is running it, has many letters after his name so there's more chance of users feeling confident about his skills!

Nice that you can work away in private at the stuff and, if nothing else, he has very pleasant voice - and with 12000+ hits you know you are not alone!

http://www.livinglifetothefull.com/elearning/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=40&Itemid=91

Anne
drziggles Posted - 09/16/2006 : 17:58:37
I use antidepressants (particularly Effexor, Cymbalta, and nortriptyline) with many of my patients diagnosed with TMS. My rationale is that it can give people a "kickstart" to feeling better, both in regards to mood and pain issues, and make them better able to start the TMS work. Also, people want to feel like you are "doing something" for them, giving them information about a book to read does not fall under that category for most.

As a side note, I have been trying to keep track of the patients I give a TMS diagnosis. I estimate that at this point, 50% or fewer show up for a second appointment, and fewer than 50% of the people that actually do follow up have any interest in pursuing the concept. Maybe half of those have any improvement. Talk about frustration!
wrldtrv Posted - 09/16/2006 : 00:07:40
elsfive--Make sure you ask about the side effects of Remeron. From my understanding it can cause weight gain, which may not be an issue for you. I think there is something about Remeron possibly lowering white blood cell count, which could be dangerous so you may have to monitor that. On the good side, it supposedly doesn not have the sexual side effects of the SSRI's. Good luck.
elsfive Posted - 09/15/2006 : 16:26:21
Thanks for the info.

I was suprised when the LCSW suggested that I take an antidepressant because from what I read in MBP, I thought it would interfere with treating the TMS. When I brought this up to her, she said that it would not and in addition it would probably help by making the psychotherapy more effective.

Seth - thanks for the info. I really just wanted to make sure that taking an antidepressant would not hinder the TMS treatment before I decided whether to start or not. I actually saw a psychiatrist today who prescribed Remeron. I am still on the fence about taking it. I admit I am anxious and depressed which I am sure contributes to my TMS and if antidepressants help lessen the emotional load, I can see where they would have some benefit.
lobstershack Posted - 09/14/2006 : 19:15:41
I take two antidepressant medications. I've seen Dr. Sarno himeself and currently do psychotherapy with one of his associates. Both have told me that there are plenty of patients on meds and that in no way shape or form hinders the TMS healing process, that is as long as one realizes they are just treating the symptoms while you work to treat the underlying cause.

Last year I tried going off of them, it was a disaster. Placebo or not, I am a strong supporter of medication, when needed.

And please, do not feel any shame if you end up going the medication route. It's perfectly fine.

Seth
sonora sky Posted - 09/14/2006 : 10:45:42
Hi elsfive,

I took anti-anxiety medication for a short-ish period of time (maybe 3 months) last year to help deal with the stresses of a whole slew of life changes that were occuring all at once. It was really the muscle tension and pain (read: TMS; I didn't know this then) that I was trying to alieviate, and I thought (and so did my MD/GP) that taking the edge off the anxiety would help that. Even though I did have some weird side-effects for the first few weeks (I can't remember exactly what--some nausea and extreme drowsiness, I think, right after I took the pill; I started breaking them in half and taking half, twice a day, instead; this helped), it did seem to help a bit (read: placebo effect) for a while--for about a month or so. Then, the placebo effect wore off and I didn't notice that the medication was doing anything at all for my anxiety, stress, or muscle tension. It had become completely ineffective. I'm a person who tries to avoid taking any kind of pills---especially prescription ones--so, I soon stopped taking them when I realized they weren't doing a thing for me anymore. I wouldn't recommend them, except in severe cases (definitely more severe than mine) where one is, for example, imminently suicidal.

I hope this helps!
SS
Darko Posted - 09/13/2006 : 17:08:40
Els,
I'm no medical doctor, but I urge you NOT to take them. Depression is just a state of mind, and you can help that! If you take pills you're just treating the problem externally and you'll NEVER be free of it. You need to find out what's depressing you, what are you're hiding inside you? Can I suggest you get a copy of "The Journey" by Brandon Bays. In there is an example of a woman who was very very depressed and tried to kill herself several times. Anyway, she was cured by using the books tools. Do that, clear your emotional pain, and don't take those ugly pills, you will only have some other symptom after time.

Good luck
tennis tom Posted - 09/13/2006 : 14:36:41
May I suggest doing a search. I put the words "anti-depresssants" in the SEARCH tab above and three pages came up. The words "anti-depressants" will be hi-lited in yellow.

I blew my TMS post wad for today and trying to recall my experiences with "a-d's" would just make me too depressed at the moment.

Good Luck,

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000