TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 meditation/biofeedback?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
JaneLeslie Posted - 08/29/2006 : 14:00:46
Hi all,
I know that meditation/visualization is not a TMS technique per se, but "can't hurt." Has anyone ever done the Jose Silva Ultramind Cd's and found them helpful? They are expensive but relaxing. I am considering getting them.

Also, along those lines has anyone done anything with EEG/biofeedback for calming anxiety and encouraging meditative states? Is it helpful.

I am new to the TMS site. I have fibro. but have had times without pain and feel hopeful.
Thanks,
Jane
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
JaneLeslie Posted - 09/12/2006 : 18:28:33
Hi All,
I just realized there have been more posts to the Biofeedback question. Thanks for the info! Biofeedback seems intriguing. I need to find a way to relax. My Fibro sx (including bladder problems) are on full blast. I feel exhausted and in pain and my nervous system is probaby "on" all the time.

Is there any risk that Biofeedback training could distract me from accepting the TMS diagnosis? That is my only fear in trying it I guess. Since it directly affects the CNS/ANS could it speed the healing? If it could help me reduce anxiety I guess it's worth it.

I hope so and thanks.

Jane
Newbie with Fibro
armchairlinguist Posted - 09/01/2006 : 16:38:18
Nate McNamara's page at http://conquerrsi.com/ has a bit about biofeedback:

quote:
Pursue biofeedback training. You will learn to control some aspects of your autonomic nervous system, and more importantly, the power of your mind over your condition. The Association for Applied Psychophysiology & Biofeedback has an informative site. I worked with Peter Behel, who has offices in the North Bay, and recommend him highly. In the South Bay, one excellent biofeedback clinic of which I am aware is Muscle Learning Therapy in San Jose; MLT's office phone number is (408)295-2944. MLT's founder, the late Dennis Ettare, published the text of a talk he gave in 1998 online at www.safetyatwork.com/etmuscletherapy0300.htm.

--
Wherever you go, there you are.
wrldtrv Posted - 08/31/2006 : 19:57:47
I think most of these methods are useful. The critical part is that you use them often enough so that you get good at them. I've been doing mindfulness meditation off/on for years, but find that it doesn't work to just do it when I feel like it; it's something I have to do on a regular basis to get the benefits.

I wonder if that "Silva" thing is the old "Silva Mind Control" that was popular in the 60's & 70's along with TM, self-hypnosis, biofeedback... Not that it matters if it works.

I tried biofeedback briefly many yrs ago, not enough to gauge its effectiveness. There are many devices, simple and complicated that you can buy to do your own biofeedback. Devices to lower your bp and other uses. I have always been fascinated by this stuff and love to experiment.
Carolyn Posted - 08/31/2006 : 19:44:23
http://www.silvaultramindsystem.com/

Carolyn
Penny Posted - 08/31/2006 : 17:58:49
quote:
Originally posted by Carolyn

I downloaded the short, free sample of the Ultramind program and actually do use it and find it VERY relaxing. I think it's an efficient form of meditating which puts you into a state where your body can process stress more efficiently. I'm not sure you actually need the rest of the CDs. Meditation's great but you have to also make sure you are treating the TMS.

Carolyn

Hi Carolyn, Can you please provide the Web address to download the free sample?
>|< Penny

Non illigitamus carborundum.
Carolyn Posted - 08/31/2006 : 17:35:16
Jane,
I don't actually know a lot about the entire series but I think it has a lot to do with ESP and manifesting etc. The free download is-I guess -the Centering excercise. The idea is that the beat in it induces alpha waves in your brain. I just wanted to try it out and see what it does. The free download is of fairly low quality but I find that it really does put me in an altered mental state of deep relaxation much more quickly than I can get there meditating on my own. So for me it is sort of the impatient person's shortcut to meditation- which I know is not the point. I'm not sure I would invest actual cash in the rest of it though.
I have Shecter's tapes but they don't say anything that Sarno doesn't but for a while I did listen to them on my walks.
Be careful that you don't fall into the trap (like I did before I finally got better) of looking for all of these things to cure you. They may help you find the path but you still have to do the work.

Carolyn
JaneLeslie Posted - 08/30/2006 : 14:32:24
Hi Carolyn,
Do you mean that you think you only need the Centering Exercise and not the rest of it? It is a large series, and yes, I can see where one can get lost in Silva and neglect TMs work.

Have you used Shecter's audio tapes as well?

Thanks,
Jane
Carolyn Posted - 08/29/2006 : 15:18:33
I downloaded the short, free sample of the Ultramind program and actually do use it and find it VERY relaxing. I think it's an efficient form of meditating which puts you into a state where your body can process stress more efficiently. I'm not sure you actually need the rest of the CDs. Meditation's great but you have to also make sure you are treating the TMS.

Carolyn

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000