TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 News, Anger, TMS

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
art Posted - 08/25/2006 : 20:23:17
Talk about rage..I just finished watching 20/20 which did an expose of the State Farm Insurance Co. fraudulently refusing to pay claims for houses ruined in Hurricane Katrina...They induced, or coerced, engineers to determine the cause of damage was water, which they would not be covered for, when clearly it was wind, which they would..

THey also altered documents, or simply hid them, all in a mostly successful attempt to get out of paying claims...

And of course they interviewed some of the poor people who are the victims of the fraud...many of them now living in trailers whre their homes used to be...Just very hard to see how sad and broken in spirit they are..

But it's not just this particular situation...the world is full of injustice and greed and cruelty...IT's very hard sometimes not to get all worked up about it...

On the one hand it's not healthy to get so angry, but on the other, without angry people, how is the world going to get any better?
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Stryder Posted - 08/28/2006 : 16:15:54
Hi Carolyn,

...if kids are treated with respect,given responsibility and listened to...can that change things?

Well said. Gosh, I sure hope so.

Hey Carolyn, your bio listed RSI, please do me a favor and pop over to this thread...

http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2494

...this new arrival is in a big hurry and could use a reality check.

Take care, - Stryder
carbar Posted - 08/28/2006 : 16:07:37
I'm sure there is as much good NEWS out there as bad NEWS, its just that no one is reporting on the good NEWS, because good NEWS doesn't SELL.

Hey now, hmmmmm, that's sounds,,,,,,,,, familiar. Where,,, have,,, I,,, heard,,, that,,, before?

Dr. Surgeon: I'm sorry Mr. Stryder but your MRI shows a HNP at L5-S1 and DDD, so you are gonna need an anterior interbody fusion with BAK cages. Do you have a spare $30,000?!? I have 2 kids at Harvard Medical School you know.

-or-

Dr Sarno: What's going on in your life, Mr. Stryder? What makes you angry? You can cure yourself. Here, read this book. You can borrow it from the library or you can buy your own copy if you like for $12.

We choose door #2. We Win !
-Stryder
[/quote]

Woo. You got it Stryder. Thanks for making that parallel. I am LOVIN door number 2. But, it is sometimes a bit defeating to know that it's *that* easy. Is that coz bad news has become the default and we actually have a subconscious need for the bad news?

I tend to think lots of people subconsciously CRAVE the pity party of bad news, whether it be health problems, realationship troubles, job instability, coz we learn so much about being passive victims in our growing up. When being the victim is what gets you ANY attention, and you don't know how to be an active person, how could you make choices in any other way?

I'm not sure if that plays into TMS or not. There certainly is some kind of victim mentality at play, tho.I tend to think that too many things rewards childhood pasivity and then we wonder why ppl can't function as adults...if kids are treated with respect,given responsibility and listened to...can that change things?

Carolyn
Stryder Posted - 08/28/2006 : 15:24:28
The NEWS is no longer news, its now INFOTAINMENT. The goal is to get your attention, not provide you with unbiased current events.

Even the radio news on NPR (National Public Radio) is horrible. The BBC World News isn't much better on the whole.

art: But it's not just this particular situation...the world is full of injustice and greed and cruelty...IT's very hard sometimes not to get all worked up about it...

Yes, I agree.

We all just have to choose. Either watch/listen with a grain of salt (detacthment), filter out the BAD (selective detachment), or choose not to listen (turn it off).

If one starts playing the NEWS movie over and over in their TMS mind then it will certainly add to ones anger bank account.

Yes, there are bad things happening out there.

Yes, there are good things, too.

I'm sure there is as much good NEWS out there as bad NEWS, its just that no one is reporting on the good NEWS, because good NEWS doesn't SELL.

Hey now, hmmmmm, that's sounds,,,,,,,,, familiar. Where,,, have,,, I,,, heard,,, that,,, before?

Dr. Surgeon: I'm sorry Mr. Stryder but your $1200 MRI shows a HNP at L5-S1 and DDD, so you are gonna need an anterior interbody fusion with BAK cages. Do you have a spare $30,000?!? I have 2 kids at Harvard Medical School you know. After that PT is only $75 per quarter hour, I'll RX you for 1 hour 3 times per week for 2 months.

-or-

Dr Sarno: What's going on in your life, Mr. Stryder? What makes you angry? You can cure yourself. Here, read this book. You can borrow it from the library for free or you can buy your own copy if you like for $12.

We choose door #2. We Win !
-Stryder
armchairlinguist Posted - 08/28/2006 : 11:02:47
shari, we need our emotions to make good "rational" decisions. Read Emotional Intelligence by Daniel Goleman sometime...those who have brain disorders that cut their rational minds off from their emotional ones cannot make good decisions.

Being angry is (I think) a healthy, appropriate reaction to injustice. It motivates us to work against it. This is a similar function to what anger does for us personally: it motivates us to work against events and behavior that are unpleasant to us in our own lives. And we TMSers need to work on channeling and expressing our anger productively, not detaching and repressing! Pushing the anger away is not the direction we want to go.

Of course, at the same time we don't want it to overwhelm us. That balance is the tough part, especially given our stored rage that is likely to pop up in unrelated situations, as a release valve to cool the boiling pot a bit, giving rise to excessive anger in some situations.

For myself when that happens I just try to experience the anger rather than push it away, but not keep myself worked up by talking to myself about it over and over again. So it cools the pot a bit without too many bad effects. And then I try to keep the awareness of the genuine and proportional anger so I can act wisely to improve my life and others'. Not that I usually succeed, but I try.

--
Wherever you go, there you are.
miche Posted - 08/26/2006 : 20:00:01
QUOTE:
"
The healthy alternative to anger is not indifference but detachment."
NOT MUCH OF A DIFFERENCE?

DEFINITION OF INDIFFERENCE

absence of compulsion to or toward one thing or another

DEFINITION OF DETACHMENT

aloofness, as from worldly affairs or from the concerns of others.

art Posted - 08/26/2006 : 17:39:42
quote:
The healthy alternative to anger is not indifference but detachment.

Interesting, and yet one might also say that anger leads to passion, which leads to activism, which leads to change...

I'm also wondering if you might be overestimating the human capacity for true detachment....One might very well squelch one's emotions, but that's not the only thing standing in the way of objectivity (if that's what you're shooting for). There's self interest, self-delusion, and rationalization, just to name a few. There's also plain old mistakes in reasoning and logic...What I'm trying to say is that since we're only human, we have a lot more to worry about in our quest ofr clarity than simple emotion
shari Posted - 08/26/2006 : 14:35:39
Anger is an emotional reaction, and emotional reactions lead to irrational decisions. The healthy alternative to anger is not indifference but detachment. To be emotionally detached from emotional events helps us make more rational decisions. To wit: the Al Gore thread which has stirred so much anger and is now stretching over twenty pages of irrationalities.

For some reason, I sense another twenty-page thread developing here.
marytabby Posted - 08/26/2006 : 14:00:54
Same here when I see stories on the news like last week a local a-hole cut the dogs off his pit bull puppy in his cellar, on a makeshift beer case operating table. The cops found the dog's ears on the beer case and the poor dog was in horrible shape. This brings out my anger so badly and then I guess I have to forget it to get on with my life, but I know all that crap festers in my reservoir of rage. News is good but it reminds us of how bad the world can be.
miche Posted - 08/25/2006 : 20:36:42
without angry people, how is the world going to get any better?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It won't! indifference is the enemy, not anger
miche Posted - 08/25/2006 : 20:34:08
That kind of rip offs really gets to me also, abuse of power..so much of that going on, I am insured with State Farm, is it the same company in Canada? never looked into it but I will.

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000