TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 new to TMS-please offer feedback!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
symphonic Posted - 08/23/2006 : 00:25:35
hi everyone,

Last week I stumbled upon Dr Sarno's work, which I think it explains my various ailments over the last six years... I live in Australia and doubt that I could find a doctor nearby who would diagnose me with TMS-but I'm convinced. I'm hoping that after I've shared my story you guys might offer some advice or feedback to help strengthen my conviction. this is a little lengthy so feel free to skim.

I guess it all started with my childhood. It believed that my grandfather is a paedophile who views my mother and aunt, as well as my two older brothers. He never really liked me say it is assumed that he never molested me, but we (myself and parents) think that I saw something and was probably verbally abused...

... which might account for the stutter I've had since early childhood. It still affects my life today but not like it used to.

Growing up I was very sport oriented and played just about every day. That was until about halfway through high school and I haven't been healthy since. My physical problems began in my third year of high school, the year after I topped my grade for the first time. Since then I've felt an overwhelming pressure, both from myself and others, to perform flawlessly academically. That year I also had my first big heartbreak, and, honestly, I've never had a working relationship.

The pain started in my torso, like a stitch but in multiple locations. It went undiagnosed until halfway through my final year of high school when it was decided that it was referred pain from the muscles around my spine (I have a slight scoliosis). With physiotherapy I gradually got back to exercise-until I hurt my hamstring at the end of that year. That took another year to disappear... I used swimming to help recover and promptly got shoulder pain. I should mention that I also have had troubles with the muscles near my armpit on my back this whole time.

SO, the shoulder pain cleared up and I then had groin problems and knee pain which have persisted for over a year and a half. Last November, during my last set of exams before entering honours at university (in theoretical physics) I developed pain in my extensors in my right hand. With the subsequent bracing my left arm also broke down, my right hand went fruity, and a rheumatologist diagnosed me with reflex sympathetic dystrophy (RSD). It's been a battle ever since-I had to defer university but have seen only some improvement in the last nine months.

Until now I hope! I always believed that my physical problems were emotionally based but I couldn't convince my scientific mind that I was structurally sound. Finding out about TMS should change that. It makes perfect sense.

So what do you guys think? Seems like a no-brainer to me, but I think I need a little bit of support to fully convince myself that there is a way out of this physical hell-to make it real.

I should mention that as my body deteriorated and my love life went South I focused more and more on my studies... I got a perfect score in year 12 and have topped my class at university every year, but of course are never really felt happy, and I've always felt a bit of a fraud. I'm terrified of the competition in physics and have trouble convincing myself that I am smart enough.

... definitely reason enough for a distraction.

9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
h2oskier25 Posted - 08/25/2006 : 06:31:48
quote:
The thing is, I'd been telling all my doctors/physios etc that I thought my pain was emotionally based but no one took much notice.

Yeah, I know what you went through trying to train your Doctor's. Talk about trying to get someone to unlearn something.

I went through the RSI crap, too. Lived by Emil Pascarelli's book. He's a great Doctor who mean's well, but way off on RSI. RSI is ALWAYS something you're not facing. Those are words I live by now.

I disagree with Kether that your scientific tendencies are not in line with TMS theory. I think they are in line. Just because a few Greedy Pharmaceutical companies buy entire wings of Medical Schools and teach their curiculum to Doctor's doesn't in any way make that "fact". Repressed emotions causing your brain to deprive a certain area of your body of oxygen is fact. There's just too many of us for it not to be.

Regards,

Musicians seem

Beth
symphonic Posted - 08/25/2006 : 04:03:10
Thanks kether... as for the mathematical mind, I think that might be a byproduct of the TMS in some ways. It was only when I couldn't play sport any more that I began to focus more on studies and science. Learning mathematics is a lot of baby steps-you look back one day and see how far you have come.

Convincing myself that nothing is structurally wrong will take some time. I'll probably try a little self hypnosis and hope it sinks in! I've read a lot about RSI this year so there is quite a bit of unlearning to do.

I can't wait for the day when someone says "what is wrong with you this time? " and the answer is "nothing!" it gets so frustrating and humiliating always having to explain the latest mysterious ailment...
symphonic Posted - 08/23/2006 : 22:28:49
Thanks everyone, that was just the support I needed. Uplifting!

I came across Sarno when I finally subscribed to sore hand-the first message that landed in my inbox was about TMS, which led me to Rachel's web site. So I guess it was blind luck, but maybe not...

The thing is, I'd been telling all my doctors/physios etc that I thought my pain was emotionally based but no one took much notice. It definitely seemed ridiculous that so much could go wrong, considering how powerful our healing abilities are. But then you wonder if you just in denial about your injuries and so the TMS goes on doing it trick.

I think I might be on the more severe end of the spectrum so psychotherapy is something I'm looking into. I'm hoping I can still qualify for counselling at the University... should know tomorrow. I have read Healing Back Pain and the Mindbody Prescription. The Divided Mind is on the way along with Why Zebras Don't Get Ulcers, Rapid Recovery, and To Be or Not to Be... Pain-Free. I intend to put them on a cycle.

It's funny... as bad as this year has been I think it's going to be a real turning point. Learning about TMS must do wonders for people's mental health, as well as their physical health. Emotions are important! It's nice to know that it really IS crucial to take care of yourself.
cheeryquery Posted - 08/23/2006 : 11:58:32
Symphonic, welcome. Your story sounds something like mine. Incest is a hard thing to get past, especially when not well remembered (or even if you really did just observe what happened to others). Obviously, even a little incest can fill your childhood with fear and loathing. The world is no longer a safe place.

I can't say (14 years later) that I have no TMS but I have mitigated many symptoms and have long periods of remission from any pain at all. So it has definitely been worth it for me and, I hope, for you to.
art Posted - 08/23/2006 : 10:21:13
quote:
Originally posted by h2oskier25

quote:
I've noticed is that pretty much everyone who finds their way here belongs here.

Well put Art !

Beth

Well thank you Beth!! I sense a whole new era of peace and prosperity between us

I certainly hope so anyway...

A.
Stryder Posted - 08/23/2006 : 10:18:32
Hi Sam, and welcome.

Which of Dr Sarno's books have you read so far?

Once you finish, read them more than once. It sometimes takes a while for _all_ the concepts to become automatic for you. When they become automatic, and you have retrained your mind to discount all the bad habits and misinformation (from the mainstream medical community), you will be on your way to recovery.

Do not be concerned at all about not having a ready TMS doctor available down under to diagnose you with TMS. There are many many examples of people like yourself making the right connection and then the cure by doing all the TMS work themselves (myself included, now cured of severe low back pain).

Key concept: No Fear - Do Not Fear The Pain

Read.

Sarno Rocks!

Take care, -Stryder
h2oskier25 Posted - 08/23/2006 : 09:14:41
quote:
I've noticed is that pretty much everyone who finds their way here belongs here.

Well put Art !

Beth
Gecco Posted - 08/23/2006 : 08:54:41
Sounds like classic TMS. Personality also seems to fit the profile. Recognizing patterns and how it "moves around" is key to spotlighting this enemy. Just think how illogical it is to have all these ailments, one after the other. Painful, yet vague. It just doesn't make sense.
art Posted - 08/23/2006 : 05:38:22
Welcome to the forum. It absolutely sounds like you've come to the right place. I'm curious how you came across Dr. Sarno's work.

I've been around the forum for a year or more and the thing I've noticed is that pretty much everyone who finds their way here belongs here. I congratulate you on having the smarts to figure all this out. There's no doubt in my mind that in due course, probably sooner rather than later your life, and your health, will drastically improve...

Sounds like you might benefit from some counseling...Is that something you'd consider, especially from someone in sympathy with Sarno and his views?

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000