TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 for young athletic people

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
sportyjd25 Posted - 08/20/2006 : 12:42:48
i'm almost 20 and a college soccer player and I wasjust wondering if there was anyone else dealing with tms who is also young and athletic cuz i feel like everyone is much older
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
armchairlinguist Posted - 08/22/2006 : 14:52:18
Ditto carbar -- not an athlete, but a musician. I'm 25. I know a lot of people with RSI around this age, and I think RSI is TMS, so that's plenty of young people with it.

Good luck in your work with it.

--
Wherever you go, there you are.
sportyjd25 Posted - 08/22/2006 : 13:05:32
thanks so much for your responses--i really appreciate it. it's really good to know i'm not alone.
thanks,
jess
salamander Posted - 08/21/2006 : 02:51:26
Hey sportyjd25,

I'm 40, but I was 20 once...LOL.

I also played soccer for Duke University...and was a member of their team when they won the national championship in 87'. I was pretty good.

At your age I had already had two MRI's for back and knee problems. TMS does not discriminate for age. Unfortunately, I did not know about Sarno back in the day. You don't need to be a corporate executive to suffer from TMS. I know, without doubt, that my symptoms where TMS when I was your age.

Regards,
Doug
Stryder Posted - 08/20/2006 : 22:08:05
Hi jd25,

What iron511 says is very true, don't let a little grey hair fool you. Now that I am TMS aware (and almost 50), I can trace my symptoms back to my late teens and early 20's, starting with LBP and IBS.

You are very lucky. You have discovered the work of the good doctor early in your life and you will be spared many years of unnecessary pain and turmoil.

Take care, -Stryder
carbar Posted - 08/20/2006 : 22:02:35
Well, I'm 24 and TMS started for me big-time when I was 17. At the time, I was very serious about music...played clarinet, sax, flute at least 2 hours everyday. So, back then, I would have said I was a "musician" like you say you're a soccer player.

I think it sucks for anyone at any age to deal with this, but I found it especially hard to have chronic pain as a young person b/c most people's reactions to it are, "Oh, aren't you kind of young to have that..."

Thanks, monkey nuggets, for the insight...

I think it's really positive that you are aware that you are dealing with TMS. Being in college, tho stressful n busy, does possibly offer a little more free time than the working world for doing the emotional work of journaling, etc. So, good luck and take advantage of it!

flyefisher Posted - 08/20/2006 : 20:38:47
I'm 33 now. I had asthma and really strange allergic reactions, as well as severe loss of appetite when I was younger. Later I had gastro problems, and finally lower back recently. Most of this I believe is TMS-related. I've had a few other minor medical problems along the way that were physical. But if your personality lends itself to TMS, then young days of nervousness can certainly lead to this.
iron511 Posted - 08/20/2006 : 17:14:12
Im 20 years old and into bodybuilding also in college. I have TMS personality and muscle pain/tightness/weakness. A lot of the older members have had pain starting when they were younger I believe as well.

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000