TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Can I be Confident this is TMS?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
tigers20 Posted - 08/11/2006 : 07:32:52
I had an MRI of the lumbar spine without contrast. The report states "At the L5-S1 Level, there is moderate to severe bilateral neuroforaminal stenosis due to diffuse bulging of a narrowed and degenerated disc and bilateral facet joint arthroparty. There is mild bilateral nerororminal stenosis at the L4-5 level due to mild bulging of the disc and facet joint arthropathy.

At this point, I do not have significant back pain but have had pain in my groin, hamstring and right calf muscle. I have been to a doctor and ruled out things such as kidney stones, testicular cancer and other similar type items.

I had back pain several years ago on a frequent basis but after reading Dr. Sarno's book, I could make the pain go away quite easily. I am a runner but have not been able to run much lately due to nagging pain in the areas mentioned above. The pain has become worse during the time taken away from running so it seems to me that running is not the cause of the pain.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
salamander Posted - 08/11/2006 : 11:39:21
For what is is worth I have MRI's confirming stenosis in my back (can't recall the level or degree). I also have an MRI of my neck that has moderate to severe stenosis. Along with this I have the moderate herniated and degenerative disks and the facet arthropathy (sp?) you speak of. I also have spondylolisthesis, this abnormal alignment of the vertebra, which scared the heck out of me. It's a bummer that you have these reports in front of you. If you are like me, you probably are obsessing over what they mean and perhaps the pain has intensified since the MRI? I presently do not have pain in either my neck or back. I firmly believe that Sarno is correct when he says that these "structural abnormalities" are really just normal signs of aging. Disk abnormalities are common in almost all people over the age of 20.

I think that most, if not all, the "findings" in your MRI are covered in Sarno's books. He has ruled them all out as a cause for pain. If I were you, I would get back to TMS theory and figure out what's going on in your life. The fact that the pain has gotten worse since you have have stopped running would strongly indicate TMS to me.

Best of luck,

Doug
sonora sky Posted - 08/11/2006 : 09:11:04
quote:
[i]

I had back pain several years ago on a frequent basis but after reading Dr. Sarno's book, I could make the pain go away quite easily.

Have you tried re-reading sarno during this new bout of pain? He's got at least four books out there, including his newest and most comprehensive study, The Divided Mind. These concepts often need to be reinforced over and over, since we as humans can easily fall back into old habits/patterns of thinking. A regular schedule of reading (a few pages or a chapter per day) and possibly some journaling (or whatever techniques work for you) might help the process.

SS
altherunner Posted - 08/11/2006 : 08:27:14
I also had back and neck pain, and all sorts of aches and pains, that I blamed on running, scoliosis, bulging discs in my neck and lower back, etc. Stay with the psychological, forget about the physical.
I went for physical therapy for years, and nothting helped. Give Dr. Sarno's treatment a good try.

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000