TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 symptom imperative/foot pain

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Singer_Artist Posted - 08/02/2006 : 15:48:26
I'm back..I did miss being on the forum during the break, but it was a good idea to focus elsewhere for awhile...I have been dealing with one of the biggest losses of my life lately..The loss of my boyfriend/LOML who died a tragic death at the age of 21...I won't go into the details, just to say that after all these years I still miss him like it was yesterday...Everyone kept his death from me as I was away at the time it happened...and due to have exams upon returning..My mom told everyone to wait to tell me of his death until I finished my exams...He and I were taking a hiatis at the time..my choice..Anyway..there is ALOT of guilt, sadness, grief and anger associated with this...I got some of the sadness and grief out, and that felt good...This is just one of the psychological things I have been thinking about...

I have been walking 2 miles every morning and it is definitely helping my neck...I still need to regain range of motion and be able to bend, lift, drive, etc..but I have made progress...Here is the unbelievable thing that is going on now...Is it symptom imperative or is it a real physical issue...

For the past several days my right foot has been hurting...Now this is the foot that is a bit turned outward due to my still needing to rebuild the quads/hamstrings on that leg from the previous knee injuries..It has been turned out a bit for over a year, maybe two..So why now is it hurting? Now I haven't been walking regularly for a long time and I have orthodics in my sneakers that were made for me some 5 years ago..b4 the knee injury which caused the atrophy in the leg muscles which caused this turning out of my foot...I am not sure if it's the orthodics, perhaps they need to be adjusted..or IS IT JUST TMS ON THE RUN??? The symptom imperative, that is??

Today I took the orthodics out and did the entire 2 mile walk..It hurt during most of the walk and then when i layed down at home all of a sudden my achilles tendon started hurting...and other areas on the bottom of my foot...The main painful spot is where, I believe, the plantar fasciitis is located...Bottom of the foot, toward the inside arch area...It is bad enough that I am not sure I will be able to do my walk tomorrow...Even walking around the house is becoming difficult...This is naturally VERY DEPRESSING AND DISCOURAGING! I have been THRILLED about being able to do my walk and seeing the help it was giving to my neck..Now this?? And it's not like i fell and landing on my feet..! The only thing i did was the walking and maybe holding my foot in an awkward position on a stool while typing here and keeping my knee stretched straight? But can just those things do all this?? I have gained weight and recal a podiatrist saying years ago that even small amounts of weight gain can cause foot pain...BUT WHY NOW??? And how do I know it's not physical this time...I finally believe my neck is TMS...but the foot? I don't know..and I don't want to run to a doctor who will probably just scare me and get me surely thinking it's physical...I don't know what to do...Any suggestions/thoughts?Thanks for reading...
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Singer_Artist Posted - 08/14/2006 : 16:08:27
Thanx so much for your support carbar!!! It really helped me alot! Give me hope...I would hate ot have to wear sneakers the rest of my life!
~Karen
carbar Posted - 08/14/2006 : 13:16:52
ACL posted:
quote:
I got fitted for orthotics and told that I had mild Morton's Foot that was straining the main tendon in the arches of my feet. I wore them until May this year, when I got rid of them along with everything else. I thought I was condemned to never wear cute shoes or comfy sandals anymore -- I was completely wrong. I don't even have a twinge now.

I couldn't resist commenting on the shoes thing. Of course while I was struggling with RSI in the hands, I developed knee pain (patella femoral syndrome b.s.!) and the docs LOVED to comment on my flat feet. Like they hadn't been flat my whole life, right? So, I did bite on getting a set of insurence-covered orthotics. And I DO still wear them, but my knee pain is practically nothing. Only pops up when I've walked over a mile in shoes with zero support.

I definitely have been wearing cute shoes again. I have been working retail on my feet on concrete floors for 8 hours a day. It really got me down to wear sneakers everyday coz I want to look more professional, but I thought that was the only shoe that could be supportive enough to stand and move for so long. Well, I decided to take a risk that the knee pain was TMS and since January, I've been wearing my Kenneth Cole going out shoes and my comfy Bjorn pennyloafers with great cheer all day at work! Finally, I can look cute at work! :D Some days my feet are sore, but the knee's been fine.

PS -- another benefit of recovering: I've been doing a pretty intense yoga program 4-5 times a week, my cravings to emotionally eat have gone down, and I've lost about 15 pounds. Yay, more cute wardrobe options. I feel like $1 million for the first time ever in my life. And it shows!!!

Just allow it to be TMS, continue through the "pain", maintain your goals and you will get there!

Singer_Artist Posted - 08/11/2006 : 16:37:29
Thanx P,
I will take your advice...
~Karen
FlyByNight Posted - 08/11/2006 : 15:29:09
quote:
Originally posted by Singer_Artist

Still have to turn my torso to make left/right turns...The workout went well overall..Just did lower body...

I had the same exact reaction to my neck stiffness in the first months ... always moving torso to look sideways .... It is a verrrry bad thing to do Karen, because it encourages neurological motor patterns that are not natural and you can 'wrongly' reprogram your body to move in this non natural way... please stop it and try to move your neck normally ,, even if you must do it verrrry slowly ...

These bad habits are extremely hard to stop one they are installed...

P.
Singer_Artist Posted - 08/10/2006 : 10:26:45
I got up at 4:30AM yesterday to go to the gym...I had 4 hours sleep..But had to go then when the roads were not crowded..Still have to turn my torso to make left/right turns...The workout went well overall..Just did lower body...The only trouble i had was adjusting the machines..(bending over) so i asked for help...The calf raises caused pain in my foot so i only did two sets...I sure hope it is TMS and just conditioning...The stationary bike was a good alternative to walking til the foot calms down...There are some potential huge changes going on and I refuse to allow the TMS Gremlin to freak out over them...They are both positive and also stressful...Typical of life i suppose...
Singer_Artist Posted - 08/09/2006 : 22:39:32
Thanx Chicago! That's a great idea...
chicago Posted - 08/09/2006 : 22:04:16
A transition from custom orthodics might be wearing the soft type that you find at the drug store. In fact there have been studies that have shown that they are just as effective as custom ones. Howevwer I am no longer a believer in orthodics and I don't wear them. In fact I wish I never wore them.
Singer_Artist Posted - 08/08/2006 : 11:41:31
Thank you ACL for sharing that with me...It gives me comfort! I am going to try to get to the gym and do the stationary bike or pool for a bit til the foot calms down..The neck is still healing too..Well actually I AM STILL HEALING..but it is happening, slowly and surely..
armchairlinguist Posted - 08/08/2006 : 11:05:34
My foot pain also got a little worse when I first stopped wearing the orthotics. It is just the conditioning kicking up. Your mind believes you will have worse pain if you don't wear them, so it happens.

I was doing pretty well on the primary stuff when I took mine out. I was definitely gradualist in removing my "TMS crutches" and the restrictions on my activity. But sometimes it may be good to go all out and send the signal to your brain that you are no longer believing any of that stuff.

--
Wherever you go, there you are.
Singer_Artist Posted - 08/07/2006 : 20:14:32
Thanx Chicago,
Yes FEAR is a big one...I've heard it said that fear is "False Evidence Appearing Real.." Some older friends of mine often tell me that most of the things they spent soo much energy worrying about in life never even happened..SO much wisdom in that..I tried to stop wearing the orthodics one day and took my walk..It seemed worse..The pain in the arch spread to my achilles tendon and I was practically limping..So I put them back in..But I still feel like I should take everyone's advice and take them out again..It is so scary..And everyone is right, the TMS gremlin is just trying to sabotage the progress I have made in healing my neck by walking..Thanx everyone for sharing...
chicago Posted - 08/07/2006 : 18:14:58
I wore orthodics for eight years (5 different pairs) I stopped wearing them because I started to have burning pain in both feet. Guess what after I stopped wearing them my original problem (heal pain) went away. It was replaced with burning (10 years) and only in the last nine months has it started to improve because I threw away all my medication and read Sarno. Its not resolved but improved dramatically. What I'm left with now is FEAR. I've had pain so many years that I have a difficult time, however hard it is to believe living without it.
Singer_Artist Posted - 08/06/2006 : 21:00:48
PS....My whole leg never became the same after the last knee injury...It is visibly smaller then the other leg..Not my much but the quads and hamstrings are smaller and less strong then the other leg..That is why the foot is turned weird...Now it is turning into a whole mess...It has been like this for over a year,,,maybe even 2 years...So logically how could it be physical?? but it hurts so bad and if I have to stop my walks that will be terrible for the healing of my neck...I feel like i am in a Catch 22..just like in my real life...
Singer_Artist Posted - 08/06/2006 : 20:51:29
Thank you Special One..I really needed to hear that today..I went for my walk and couldn't make it after one mile..Very discouraging..The foot became very painful and started to affect my knee (the one that was previously seriously injured)..It is also hurting on my ankle in the same foot..don't know if it is the previous ankle sprain or just plain old TMS..

I am going through something very very emotional right now..I have met someone who I think could be my soul mate..This could mean moving clear across the country (NY) to be with him..I have wanted to move back but now that the reality may be upon me..other issues..such as leaving my roomie/bro are coming up..He is very sad at the possibility of me leaving and I hate to do anything that causes him pain..I feel responsible for him and for my dogs..And this phenomenal new soul in my life is terribly allergic to dogs! So I couldn't bring my dogs with me..The guilt in even the thought of leaving him here with my roomie is too much too bare..They are the children I never had...They love it here and my roomie loves them dearly...But...when I go away they go on a hunger strike and get really upset..I am their mom..Perhaps this conflict is causing the increase in the foot pain...I now and thinking of using the stationary bike at the gym til it heals and stopping the walk b4 I am limping even around the house...The pain becomes intolerable..I took an advil and now my stomach is killing me too..Sorry for rambling..
Special One Posted - 08/06/2006 : 13:07:04
I just wanted to add that when my husband was a child he got hit by a car and broke his leg. It is turned out a little from that incident and he suffers no pain from the different angle. This tells me that we can be pain free even after an physical alteration.
Singer_Artist Posted - 08/04/2006 : 14:13:05
Good advice, Dave...thanx!
Dave Posted - 08/04/2006 : 13:55:01
quote:
Originally posted by Singer_Artist

..The skeptical side of me is thinking..

Tell that skeptic to shut up for awhile so you can focus on doing the work
Singer_Artist Posted - 08/04/2006 : 12:52:19
PS...ACL,
I just wish I could get out of my own way sometimes...Because although it makes sense it is TMS going to my other foot (better today, btw)..The skeptical side of me is thinking well maybe my other foot is hurting because of compensation.I put more weight on it then usual compensating for the pain in the other foot...I did my 2 mile walk today and had to talk to myself regarding the pain the entire time, just to get through it..I am happy I did...
Singer_Artist Posted - 08/04/2006 : 12:17:56
Thanx ACL,
You always help me see things more clearly..
armchairlinguist Posted - 08/04/2006 : 12:13:48
Well, that answers your question about whether it's TMS...the silver lining to this cloud of the other foot hurting, it seems. Doesn't seem like much of a lining, I'm sure.

I know it seems counterintuitive and is incredibly difficult, but you definitely need to stop getting so worked up when your pain changes for the worse. That's what perpetuates the vicious cycle. You know you have TMS, you know you will get better eventually. Pushing yourself to get better fast, and perfectly, with no backtracking, is just another pressure that's strengthening the gremlin. Take these changes onto you lightly, and use them as encouragement to move forward at your own pace.

--
Wherever you go, there you are.
Singer_Artist Posted - 08/03/2006 : 23:42:38
Wouldn't you know it, now my other foot is starting to hurt..I took one day off of my walk this morning because the foot wasn't up to it...I engaged in an activity that I haven't since 2 months ago when the neck TMS flared up...I would say I wasn't ready because the neck is reacting to it and I had to take pain meds, which I hate to do...My eating hasn't been good either so I know I am running from something painful inside...I REALLY want/need to do my walk tomorrow morning, all 40 minutes of it..I don't want to backslide into where I was a few weeks ago...I think I pushed myself too hard today and overdid this new activity...ARGGG this is sooo frustrating! Hopefully I will feel better tomorrow...I am talking to my brain saying I KNOW what you are up to, etc..the Gremlin is trying to take advantage of what I did today and make the symptoms really bad again..What a vicious cycle...

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000