TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 ice packs instead of pain meds

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Singer_Artist Posted - 07/26/2006 : 10:54:34
I was wondering what some of the more experienced feel about using ice packs or heat as opposed to tylenol when the pain gets bad...Is it too much of reinforcing to the mind that it could be structural...or...is it ok to use temporarily?...I cannot take any pain meds of any kind now because of the effects on my stomach...Overall I know I am getting better...but...some of the emotional stress the past few days has made things worse...ANd the pain is moving to places it hasn't been to in years as well...It's happening in several places at once, which Dr. S. says usually doesn't happen in TMS...I am trying very hard to think Psychological and not physical...But if the ice helps me to be able to continue with my walking program is it ill advised to use it? I use magnets from time to time as well..They are supposed to increase blood flow..Could be placebo, I realize that.
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Singer_Artist Posted - 07/28/2006 : 09:23:43
Thanx Beth! The Genesis was a dvd we rented and had to return...I have been looking through my unorganized mess of cd's and tapes and I cannot find all my old Genesis tapes...I have every intention of doing just that...I have done it b4...put on Philip Glass, Glassworks...It was what I played in my car after finding out my Dad died...I cried my eyes out for days back then...I played this cd a few weeks ago and let out some deep tears...It's weird though because it feels like there is sooooo much grief/sadness in there that no matter how much I cry I don't feel done...Like it is a bottomless pity of agony and loneliness...Wow, that sounds morbid...I guess I have to take the attitude that any amount of crying I do can only help release some of the pressure in there...
h2oskier25 Posted - 07/28/2006 : 07:47:45
Karen,

If I were you I'd play those Genesis songs until I was all cried out. Let the grief out !! It's a good way to pay homage to those you miss, by showing them (in spirit) how important they were to you, as well as to HEAL yourself.

Go for it, girl.

Tell Roomie you'll be seen crying here and there throughout the next couple of days, and it's part of the TMS work you're doing. Then tell him to just leave you be, as otherwise you'll feel self conscious.

Beth
Singer_Artist Posted - 07/27/2006 : 14:33:27
Yes Dave, I understand! Peter Gabriel is the BEST!!!! Old Genesis chokes me up every time! It does remind me of a time in my life where I was MUCH happier then now...My parents were not only still alive, but still married to one another...I had my friends/family all around me...Life was good...More importantly, old Genesis, Bowie, Pink FLoyd, Led Zep, Jethro Tull, Rush, King Crimson (to name a few...sorry i'm a musician, lol)...ALL remind me of just BEING ME! The REAL ME, not the IN PAIN me...I even feel a little choked up right now just talking to you about it, knowing that you probably really do understand...I think it is wonderful that you allowed your feelings to come out at that concert...and even more beautiful because it reminded you of your wife! Certain music (Queen, Bread, Humble Pie) in particular remind me of the love of my life, Dennis, who died when I was 19...That was one of the sadest things I have ever gone through..I still think of him all the time, dream of him..And wonder.. maybe another reason (besides being on the road singing for years) that i didn't marry yet is because I keep looking for Dennis...no one has come close to the phenomenal human being he was...
Dave Posted - 07/27/2006 : 13:52:23
I cried at a Peter Gabriel concert last year because his song Secret World, for whatever reason, invokes a certain feeling about a certain time in my life. I don't know exactly what it is, probably, it has something to do with meeting my wife.

The first instinct is to stop crying, because how does it look for a grown man to be crying at a concert? But you know what? I said who cares and just let it out. Sometimes you just have to take care of your own feelings, and not worry so much about what others may think. When it comes to music, isn't the emotion what it's all about?
Singer_Artist Posted - 07/27/2006 : 12:58:19
I know Dave..That is a major issue for me..My roomie/bro was in the other room and I think I was afraid he would come into the living room and see me crying..I don't know what my problem is...But I hate crying in front of others especially...If I am really upset I will and have, even recently when the neck pain and symptoms got really bad...But most of the time I tell friends not to talk to me in the climatic, sad parts of movies or even look at me, because it will shut me down emotionally if I know they are watching me..I don't know if it is all the years I have been an entertainer and so I always feel i have to be happy and entertaining...or...if it is conditioning from early childhood...I was always the tough one, the tomboy...And always played the role of the strong one in the family...It's almost like I forgot how to be real with my feelings...
Dave Posted - 07/27/2006 : 10:57:27
quote:
Originally posted by Singer_Artist

...I felt like crying because of how I feel about them/their songs and all the memories attached to them...but I held it back, don't know why...

You are so conditioned to repress emotions, you can't even let them flow when you're alone and something moves you.

I often find particular artists or songs evoke certain emotions. If you feel like crying, cry! You need to learn to let it all out.
Singer_Artist Posted - 07/26/2006 : 21:56:28
Thanx Jay! You're a pal!!!
Hugs,
Karen
wolf29 Posted - 07/26/2006 : 21:33:49
quote:
Originally posted by Singer_Artist
I was thinking that since I am getting better lately it should be in less areas..but it isn't...

I would have thought that as well but now I've been having pain in the neck, shoulders and right wrist since my back has been feeling really good. Go figure. I can't be falling apart all at once so it's just TMS moving around. I continue to do what I've been doing even if it hurts. It will pass as well.

Keep at it Karen. You're doing great on the walks. That will hopefully lead to bigger steps
Singer_Artist Posted - 07/26/2006 : 19:43:25
Just have to share this..I was watching an old Genesis concert and David Bowie on dvd...love them both deeply...I felt like crying because of how I feel about them/their songs and all the memories attached to them...but I held it back, don't know why...SO now the pain is back more intensely in my neck and the back of my skull..at the moment it seems to have left my back and leg...Soooo bizarre this travelling pain!
Singer_Artist Posted - 07/26/2006 : 18:34:02
Thanx ACL,
It's good to know I am not alone...I am working very hard trying to talk to my brain and tell it I am onto it! I was thinking that since I am getting better lately it should be in less areas..but it isn't...It's in my leg, back, and neck all at once...I have had it in my neck and knee at the same time b4 but the neck is usually the primary area...Dr. Sarno said something in his video about the brain being smart enough to use an area where there could be something 'going on,' so to speak..Something abnormal, but the structural abnormality is not the reason for the pain, the unconscious rage is..The brain uses this strategy to try to convince us further that there is something physical going on...Amazing isn't it?
Hugs and God bless,
Karen
armchairlinguist Posted - 07/26/2006 : 18:22:56
Karen,

This is off the main topic, I think symptoms can definitely happen in several areas at once, although one of them will usually be worst. I used to have arm pain, foot pain, and upper back pain all at once, sometimes with knee pain too. When I started to get better it went to fewer areas, but still multiple ones sometimes.

Remember, moving pain is a good sign!

--
Wherever you go, there you are.
Singer_Artist Posted - 07/26/2006 : 14:39:29
Good question, Art...I have had inflammation problems in my knee too..I have had a total of 3 major injuries in it through the years..IT still looks different then the other knee and from what happened last year (falling into the curb), it has even an actual mark on the cap...But...it should be healed by now because the body is miraculous in it's ability to fully heal injuries...The only thing is that when i can work out again (neck wise) I need to continue to rebuild the quads and hamstring muscles...They physically are smaller then the other leg...But yet, I can now walk 40 minutes with out stopping...Which is quite an accomplishment that I attribute to applying Sarno's principles...I even wonder if in some cases of TMS the mild Oxygen deprivation and lessening of blood flow can in fact cause some inflammation...It's confusing...I still use ice on my knee and it helps when I do...It's great that you have used TMS to be able to continue running..My goal is to pick up speed to a power walk again...The last time I tried that my knee rebelled big time...But a normal speed seems fine...Go figure...As for the neck...I am still struggling but making progress...
wolf29 Posted - 07/26/2006 : 14:38:58
As Maryalma said, if you use either you're thinking it's physical. Yes, it may help you feel better but it may set you back because you're likely to start thinking that it has to be physical or else ice/heat wouldn't have helped. If you can do without, I say go without.
art Posted - 07/26/2006 : 14:22:26
quote:
Ice or heat reinforces that it's an inflammation problem, which Sarno says TMS is not. Hope that helps.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This always confuses me. For example, I've a little inflammation around my knee, the same painful knee I've been successfully (success being measured in terms of no days lost from running)calling TMS...According to Sarno, do I need to reevaluate?

Singer_Artist Posted - 07/26/2006 : 12:03:07
Thanx Maryalma, it does...
marytabby Posted - 07/26/2006 : 12:01:38
Ice or heat reinforces that it's an inflammation problem, which Sarno says TMS is not. Hope that helps.

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000