TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 New TMS book

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
alix Posted - 07/19/2006 : 13:10:39
Pain Free For Life by Dr. Scott Brady (TMS MD in Florida http://www.tarpityoga.com/directory.html#FL)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0446577618/sr=8-2/qid=1153336076/ref=pd_bbs_2/002-4986478-7805628?ie=UTF8
18   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
wrldtrv Posted - 09/23/2006 : 20:11:53
I picked up this book today and started reading the introduction. His AOS (Autonomic Overload Syndrome) sounds just like TMS; in fact, Sarno is one of the people he credits in the forward. If this AOS and Brady's program are basically the same as Sarno's, I wonder why he doesn't just call it TMS and operate as an allied TMS doc.

There is something that sounds a bit different in his definition of AOS: "AOS is a group of chronic pains and other symptoms cuased by harmful levels of stress, pressure, and repressed strong negative emotions that have built up in the subconscious mind."

Well, firstly, Sarno differentiates between subconscious and unconscious, saying that the unconscious is truly inaccessible; whereas, the subconscious lies just below consciousness. And of course, this difference is crucial.

Secondly, it sounds like Brady is including conscious "levels of stress, pressure..." as causing symptoms, which Sarno wouldn't.

I'm interested in where Brady goes in this book; how similar his program is to Sarno's.
JosephB Posted - 09/09/2006 : 23:53:19
Dr. Sarno tells us we have three minds: the conscious, the unconscious, and the subconscious. The Mindbody Prescription (p.15) and The Divided Mind are primarily concerned with the first two minds for purposes of understanding TMS, but he does also briefly describe the subconscious mind simply to tell us how one "Learns" about TMS.

Dr. Scott Brady's Pain-Free For Life (p.78) thinks about the mind in just two ways: the conscious mind, and the subconscious mind.

Dr. Candace Pert's Molecules of Emotion talks about two minds: the conscious mind, and the unconscious mind.

Although it would be easier to comprehend and distinguish between just two of something abstract instead of three of something abstract, Dr. Pert and Dr. Brady don't even label the two minds the same.

Of the above three versions, I prefer Dr. Sarno's explanations of the three minds: the conscious, the unconscious, and the subconscious. (Probably because I have spent much more time reading his books than the others' books, and because it has taken so long for me to learn about those three minds.)

JosephB
Penny Posted - 09/09/2006 : 21:51:00
quote:
Originally posted by hazerfazer

I'm also wondering about the RSI?

Can't wait to be healed!

This book provides more tools to use to resolve RSI and address any TMS problem, although I don't think Brady talks specifically about RSI. (Sorry, can't remember, but I'm a CTS and fibro sufferer ... getting better all the time.) Brady has a tribute page to Pert and Sarno in the middle of his book praising and thanking them.

If you haven't already, consider reading Sarno first to get a good understanding of TMS, then go to Brady's book to get more ideas for your RSI-goodbye program.

>|< Penny

Non illigitamus carborundum.
hazerfazer Posted - 09/09/2006 : 21:31:03
I'm also wondering about the RSI?

Can't wait to be healed!
Penny Posted - 09/09/2006 : 19:13:25
I've been reading this book the past couple days and it is EXCELLENT. I understand why Brady coined the AOS term: He is focusing on a particular type of TMS-- AOS is TMS of the autonomic system. He provides a thorough and easy to understand explanation. This book will support ALL our TMS probs we discuss here on our forum.

One of the greatest bennies this book offers is a secion on Spirituality, providing yet another mental area beyond repressed emotions to focus on. Don't get scared away by "Spirituality", it doesn't necessarily mean "religion".

Another thing he details is personality types. Perfectionist, People Pleaser, Fear Prone, Legalist, and Stoic. Seeing the TMS material in context of personality type is yet another way to connect with ourselves and relate and retrain our brains to accept we have TMS.

He has a great list of things to tell your brain about TMS, that many of us here already use, but it's great to have a list to use at a moment's notice.

IMO This really is a great book. Although the AOS term could be distracting, everytime I see it, I just think "my TMS" instead and it's helpful. It is a little less scholarly written/focused than Sarno's material (which I also love), and therefore may appeal to people who want a quicker read.

I got it from the library, but will definitely be adding this to my personal library. If you haven't read Sarno's TMS book's, I'd read one first, then use this book to enhance your program, especially if you continue to have symptoms.

>|< Penny

Non illigitamus carborundum.
neilo Posted - 09/01/2006 : 07:07:28
After reading these posts i was ready to order the book.

But

The main list of AOS associated disorders list above does not mention RSI/carpal tunnel etc i.e hand and forearm pain.

curious

nm
Darko Posted - 08/31/2006 : 18:06:18
Guys,
has anyone who has read the book listed at the top (Scott Brady) also read the book by Fred Amir - Rapid recovery from back and neck pain?? I'm just wondering if it's worth getting this new book, maybe there is something in there I'm missing. I'm still struggling with pain and it's been much worse over the last month or so.

Also is there anyone out there who has experienced Iritis?
Carolyn Posted - 08/31/2006 : 18:01:18
I notice that there is another book called Pain Free for Life by Darrell Stoddard. I read the description and it seems to involve putting a special tape on one's body.? Too bad Brady didn't pick a different title sop as not to get lumped in with the prior book.

With such high praise, I think I will go out and get myself a copy, I agree though- no need to give the condition a new term to confuse things. Does he mention Sarno's work in the book? Or is he claiming to re-invent the wheel?
sonora sky Posted - 08/31/2006 : 13:41:39
Yes, MichaelO, Dr. Brady does mention heartburn/reflux as an "AOS-Related Symptom." He lists the "main types of AOS symptoms" focused on in his book as:

AOS Chronic Pain Conditions
*Lower back pain
*Upper back pain: neck and shoulder
*Sciatic nerve pain
*Fibromyalgia
*Migraine headaches
*Tension headaches
*Irritable bowel syndrome
*Myofascial pain syndrome
*Plantar fasciitis
*Achilles tendonitis
*Lateral epicondylitis (tennis elbow)

AOS-Related Symptoms
*Psoriasis and other skin conditions
*Insomnia
*Heartburn or reflux

-------------------------

I find it interesting that he doesn't mention allergies, as both Sarno and Amir do. Maybe he hasn't had much experience with that aspect of TMS/AOS yet. I just started reading Pain-free for Life, so I don't want to comment too much yet. I'm also reading Fred Amir's book, and I like the personal experiences discussed in both books, one from the perspective of an MD (Brady) and the other from an intelligent, perceptive lay person (Amir). They describe ordeals that so many of us have gone through... Especially ignoring or pushing aside our own intuition (or logic) that's telling us our Dr.'s Dx is incorrect. Instead we accept the Dx, because, "they *must* know better than we do." Sound familiar?

ss
Lmvine Posted - 08/31/2006 : 12:58:47
I too am disappointed Brady decided to invent a new term, it only confuses the situation but he gives props to Sarno and worked with him.

One thing I have been avoiding is journaling. It has been recommended and finally I am starting to do it. I believe it is necessary in my case and probably in most cases. Most people today want the "silver bullet pill/solution" and working on yourself is not as easy as taking a pill.

I'll report back in about 6 weeks after I complete the "course". Dan
miehnesor Posted - 08/31/2006 : 12:57:01
Everyone is different so I can only comment on my particular case. Conscious stress had no detectable affect on my TMS symptoms. This is clear in my case because my TMS is rooted in childhood issues.
MichaelO Posted - 08/31/2006 : 12:53:59
Does Dr Brady speak about Gastrointestinal equivalents like Reflux in his book or does he strictly stick to TMS pain?
Suz Posted - 08/31/2006 : 09:09:40
I ABSOLUTELY LOVE Brady's book. I am in the middle of reading it and it is fabulous. He is saying the same thing - just wish he hadn't come up with a new term "AOS" - I mean it is all the same thing but I like to keep things simple. I have not reached his treatment 6 week program yet but am very very impressed by his book so far. It is very nice to hear of the battle he went through with the medical profession and all the doctors he saw. For some reason, writing in the first person is very powerful. Also - he is a doctor so that helps too. It seems to be reinforcing my mind that all is this pain/equivalents are from the mind and emotions.
I love it
Lmvine Posted - 08/31/2006 : 07:47:08
Pain Free for Life by Brady is IMO the BEST TMS book I've read and I have read all the Sarno books, including the new book and Sopher tapes, videos, etc.

Why, because he has a recipe for curing TMS (or as he calls it AOS), a six week program. Saying think psychologically just didn't do much for me, couldn't get my arms around it. I am just starting the program but I am confident of success.

One of the most interesting parts is his ordeal with the medical system with his TMS. Boy can I identify with that. And yes he is spiritual and has a good spiritual health inventory for pain that really opened my eyes. I got from the library then ordered after reading for a day. Good luck. Dan
armchairlinguist Posted - 07/19/2006 : 22:48:47
I'm not sure I understand why there's any need to cite "conscious stress" as a factor. Conscious stresses, as far as I understand it, pretty much always make the unconscious angry; that's why Sarno includes current life pressures in the list of things that cause rage.

--
Wherever you go, there you are.
Singer_Artist Posted - 07/19/2006 : 19:02:48
Makes sense to me that conscious stress would be a factor..And Dr. Sarno also talks about our current life's pressures as a contributing factor..So they are saying the same thing..My friend Beth told me that Brady is spiritual as well..That gives him more brownie points in my book..
alix Posted - 07/19/2006 : 18:59:49
I have not read it yet but from what I can see Scott Brady feels that in addition to repressed rage, direct and conscious stress is also a contributing factor.
Singer_Artist Posted - 07/19/2006 : 17:24:32
Thanx for sharing this, Alix...The book looks very good...

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000