TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Sleep Paralysis, Hypnopompic States and TMS

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
yowire Posted - 07/17/2006 : 20:59:54
From time to time upon waking in the morning, I find myself in a state of sleep paralysis, technically known as the hypnopompic state. During these experiences, I have very vivid auditory hallucinations and sometimes visual hallucinations. They have a common thread, that to either frighten and intimidate me or convince me that I am ill. This has led me to believe that the same part of the unconscious mind that is responsible for TMS is somehow able to produce these hallucinations when in this state.

I'm curious if others have experienced this sleep paralysis state and if so, what was the nature of any hallucinations. Sometimes, I don't even have to be in the paralyzed state to get the messages. They can come in that half-asleep, half-awake state right as your waking up.
Has anyone else experienced this?

Yowire
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
yowire Posted - 07/18/2006 : 20:24:56
Hello All,

Thanks for your responses. For those who don't know, drziggles is a neurologist who understands TMS very well so his input on this subject is much appreciated.

quote from drziggles:
quote:
Frequent sleep paralysis/hallucinations raise the possibility of a problem like narcolepsy. If you have issues with excessive daytime sleepiness, sleep attacks, or cataplexy along with this, you owe it to yourself to have a sleep study and evaluation.

I have these experiences maybe once or twice a year and I do not have any of the associated symptoms that you mention above, so I really am not concerned about it. In my case, I do not consider this a TMS equivalent because I do not fear it and it is not a distraction. I think it can be a TMS equivalent for some if these criterion are met.
I do, however, think that it could be an attempt by my unconscious to start a TMS equivalent or promote a state of mind where TMS could flourish.

If you read up on Hypnopompic hallucinations, you'll see that through time, they have the same kind of "in vogue" characteristic that TMS symptoms have. For example, in the past, people often would see the "old hag" of folklore in these visions. More currently you have the "alien abduction" scenarios. In my mind, these are TMS equivalents.

My point in raising this subject was to consider the possibility that the part of the mind that causes TMS is the very same that is behind the hallucinations. Singer-Artist brought out a similar thought in another thread and I picked up on that thought.

Yowire
elise8 Posted - 07/18/2006 : 18:11:08
I see strange flahses of light in my peripheral vision at night with my eyes closed. They are fleeting streams of light that whiz by.. I also feel pressure in my head and ears, mostly at night, and sometimes waves of vertigo/dizziness. It can be aggravating but I just try to ignore it so the anxiety will not set in about it.. I think it is caused by pressure from fluid build up in the sinus tracts in the head or ear area and what causes this I have no clue, maybe allergies, which could be TMS or a weakened immune system. I have been diagnosed with certain "syndrome" that I am trying to overcome.. I also have neck problems that I attribute to TMS, although my upper cervical chiro seems to help me every few months, unless that is just a placebo. I have not quite overcome my dependency on some outside help and I accept that. Even if it is a placebo it works for me.. so I keep going when I think I need it... and try not to beat myself up for chosing this method. I just know my muscles get tight because of TMS, and even though I know it is TMS it does not go away.., my chiro seems to know how to "unloosen" the muscles with his manipulations. I know most people on this board are against chiro's but I really could care less. I just know what I think works for me...
Elise

Elise8
art Posted - 07/18/2006 : 16:42:17
quote:
Originally posted by drziggles

Not everything is TMS, don't forget. Narcolepsy is not a TMS equivalent; while the symptoms described might be part of TMS, a problem like narcolepsy is treated completely differently and shouldn't be missed... And yes, a sleep study is needed to diagnose this.

THis is an important point. It would be nice if all the ills of man could be traced to TMS but unfortunately that's not the case...Having said that however, the longer I'm around the more my eyes are opened to just how pervasive psychosomatic illness really is///
drziggles Posted - 07/18/2006 : 15:39:06
Not everything is TMS, don't forget. Narcolepsy is not a TMS equivalent; while the symptoms described might be part of TMS, a problem like narcolepsy is treated completely differently and shouldn't be missed... And yes, a sleep study is needed to diagnose this.
Scottydog Posted - 07/18/2006 : 12:28:14
Dr Ziggles,

Chriporactors and orthopods cannot fix our backs but a sleep study can diagnose sleep problems??!! - it's TMS.

Anne
drziggles Posted - 07/18/2006 : 11:03:40
Frequent sleep paralysis/hallucinations raise the possibility of a problem like narcolepsy. If you have issues with excessive daytime sleepiness, sleep attacks, or cataplexy along with this, you owe it to yourself to have a sleep study and evaluation.
Singer_Artist Posted - 07/17/2006 : 22:28:51
Hi Yowire,
I absolutely have experienced exactly what you are speaking of...I thought I have seen actual ghosts from time to time, but that is a whole other story...I have seen colors and forms too in that in between state..As for the sleep paralysis that is natural..All humans go through that in the Theta brain wave level of sleep..It's to make sure we don't 'act' out our dreams...Right now due to the neck tightness etc., I think..I sometimes see streams of light in my peripheral vision when my eyes are closed as well...
Thanx for opening this interesting thread...
Take care,
Karen

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000