TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 TMS and Stomach problems

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
MichaelO Posted - 07/13/2006 : 14:39:38
I’ve just starting Dr Sarno’s approach about 2 weeks ago - on and off - working specifically thru 2 of his books ( the Mindbody Prescription and the Divided Mind.), and I was wondering if any of you have any pointers. My problem isn’t Tms pain, but an equivalent - gastric reflux. My reflux problems started about 8 months ago. I’ve tried everything - nothing really seems to work. The doctors ran a whole battery of tests and came up w/ pretty much nothing. They don’t know what’s causing my reflux problems. From the little research I’ve done on Tms and the equivalents - I fit the profile exactly. I can trace the start of my reflux problems almost to the day they started. A lot of stress was in my life at the time. And still is. So far I haven’t made any head way in Dr Sarno’s treatment. There are just too many possibilities of what could be causing my stomach problems that I don’t know where to begin. Any suggestions?
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
MichaelO Posted - 07/23/2006 : 09:01:07
Cool! I just cracked open my MBP book and checked out the Rahe - Holmes list. Very helpful. I actually have 2 items in the top ten of the list. I'll pour over those in my reflection and lists.
MichaelO Posted - 07/23/2006 : 08:53:51
Quote:

Are you familiar with the Rahe-Holmes list of life events that cause TMS "dis-ease"?

The list is in MBP. It is a good starting point to identify life's stressful events that cause TMS.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No, i'm not familiar w/ the Rahe-Holmes list. I'll definitely check it out. Thanks Tom.
tennis tom Posted - 07/22/2006 : 17:01:17
quote:
Originally posted by MichaelO

Yes, I meant too many psychological possibilities. That's what's been difficult for me so far, trying to narrow it down to what exactly is troubling me deep down ( beyond my awareness.)

MichaelO,

Are you familiar with the Rahe-Holmes list of life events that cause TMS "dis-ease"?

The list is in MBP. It is a good starting point to identify life's stressful events that cause TMS.
MichaelO Posted - 07/22/2006 : 16:08:31
Yes, I meant too many psychological possibilities. That's what's been difficult for me so far, trying to narrow it down to what exactly is troubling me deep down ( beyond my awareness.)
tennis tom Posted - 07/16/2006 : 09:53:13

quote:
Originally posted by HilaryN

Tom,

I think you might have misunderstood Michael. My understanding, when he talks about "too many possibilities", is that he's talking about too many possible psychological causes because in a previous sentence he talks about stress in his life at the time the reflux problems started.

Hilary N

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's quite possible, I don't claim infalibility. Perhaps PeterO could clarify what he meant. If he meant, that, he had many emotional life issues, as those enumerated in the Holmes-Rahe list, of lifes stressors, causing psychological "dis-ease", then it would be good for him to list those, and begin dealing with them through life changes or acceptance.
HilaryN Posted - 07/16/2006 : 08:00:56
Tom,

I think you might have misunderstood Michael. My understanding, when he talks about "too many possibilities", is that he's talking about too many possible psychological causes because in a previous sentence he talks about stress in his life at the time the reflux problems started.

Hilary N
tennis tom Posted - 07/16/2006 : 02:57:48

quote :

"There are just too many possibilities of what could be causing my stomach problems that I don’t know where to begin. Any suggestions?"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi MichaelO,

In the index to THE DIVIDED MIND, which you have, there are numerous citations for "gastric reflux". If the doctors found nothing wrong with you than more than likely you have TMS.

Your above quote betrays an abivalence about accepting that it is TMS, "just too many possibilities of what could be causing my stomach problems..." You said the docs found NO physical causes, so that leaves TMS.

You are still thinking symptomaticly rather than "causaly", that being TMS, emotionaly. When you feel the pain, think emotionaly, and ask yourself what is "paining" you emotionally?

All you can do is to read and re-read the books until you get it, or see a TMS doc for further re-assurance and then a TMS psychotherapist to assist you to dig deeply into your psyche for the root causes of your TMS/gastric reflux symptom. That's all there is.
MichaelO Posted - 07/15/2006 : 08:59:12
Cool. Thanks for the advice and suggestions. I need all the help i can get. I'll keep posting my journey thru the books and the lists as i go along.
armchairlinguist Posted - 07/13/2006 : 17:33:35
According to the books you actually should make a list of ALL the things you think it could be! It probably is all those things, with each contributing some. After you have the whole list it is easier to determine what things are bigger and smaller issues (though not always that easy -- something that seems minor to you may not be to your inner child).

Since I've found this can be overwhelming, I've recently started making different lists for different areas of my life. This is nice because I get to everything eventually, but don't feel like I have to do it all at one time (which can otherwise bring the perfectionism gremlin out).

--
Wherever you go, there you are.
Darko Posted - 07/13/2006 : 17:20:55
Mike,
HANG IN THERE!!!! I've had chronic back pain for years, I found when my back eased I would get stomach problems. Bloating, flatulance, the runs, ect. People will be quick to say oh it's milk or wheat, you need to take this and that.........RUBBISH!!! It's TMS. Don't worry about the symptom, cause it's likely to change when you start to get an understanding so as to keep you focused on the physical rather than emotional. Read the books, open your mind and educated yourself. You'll be fine, how much better do you feel knowing that there is actually nothing wrong with you. Your mind is doing this to you. Oh and welcome to the club
Singer_Artist Posted - 07/13/2006 : 15:38:22
Hiya Michael,
I would begin at the beginning...Just work on trying to accept the diagnosis of TMS equivalent for yourself..I know it's hard, but one thing is in your favor...The doctors found nothing! And you said yourself that you were dealing w/ alot of stress at the onset of this...Sounds like TMS to me...Keep reading the books, journal and think Psychological..Listen to me...lol..I should take my own advice more often..
Best wishes!
Karen

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000