TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 skin conditions vitiligo

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
molomaf Posted - 09/07/2004 : 18:51:30
Hi. I've been a Sarno believer for 5 years. I actually was able to talk to Dr. Sarno by phone to ask about skin conditions of which I have a few. I have vitiligo and lichens sclerosus which he said were TMS. I spent two years with a skin psychologist who believes in mind/body but it didn't help. I recently developed plantar fasciitis and know it is TMS but that won't go away either. Funny that when I had a flare of sciatica recently, the plantar fasciitis went away but has come back again. Anyone have any success with skin problems?
Thanks.
Michele
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
molomaf Posted - 09/08/2004 : 20:41:47
LJ,
You hit it on the head. It was rejection that I experienced. I had a very unhappy childhood and my father's death was hard because I did not have a close relationship with him.
I don't have trouble speaking up for myself anymore. My mother is very insensitive(stupid) and for my own well being, I had to start letting her know when she said hurtful things. I can be myself with my husband(poor guy!).
I don't feel self anger. I actually have that narcisistic rage Sarno talks about. I get angry at others when they don't treat me with the respect I believe I deserve.

I believe I heard about the skin psychologist on the vitiligo support website. I can't remember.
BERNARD: Do you have first hand knowledge of success with melagenina?
bernard Posted - 09/08/2004 : 13:06:23
I don't know if your vitiligo is tms or not. However perhaps you may want to know that there is successful treatment that is being used in Cuba for vitiligo. The product is called Melagenina.
n/a Posted - 09/08/2004 : 13:05:23
Hi Michele,
Thanks for sharing. It sounds like you were already at a low point with your father's death when you were dealt the emotional blow by your brother-in-law. This can make it harder to know what to say or do. It seems like on a metaphorical basis you experienced rejection and then your skin started to reject itself (the melanocytes responsible for the pigmentation). I also dealt with a lot of rejection at work right before the vitiligo appeared.

I wonder if there is any connection? Do you have problems with self-anger when you feel unsuccessful in dealing with situations?

I have difficulty standing up for myself when it involves someone I am close to or depend on in some way (i.e. financially, emotional approval, or I know I have to continue seeing them in the future).
It's funny, either I speak up and then feel their anger/rejection and then or I don't speak up and lower my self-esteem and experience self-rejection. I think the key is to speak up (when appropriate) and then be able to self-soothe if they get angry and rejecting.

Take care!
--LJ

p.s. How did you find a "skin psychologist"?
molomaf Posted - 09/08/2004 : 11:46:38
Hi LJ,
I spoke to Dr. Sarno by phone for a very brief amount of time but he said that my skin conditions were definitely TMS and that I should find a Freudian therapist. I had been through therapy before for panic attacks and thought there wasn't much left to uncover that hadn't been so I found a skin psychologist. I did self hypnosis for a year but unfortunately it didn't help my skin. He did help me to deal with my family issues.
My vitiligo showed up about 6 months after my father died. I stayed with my sister for the funeral as I live 4 hours away and I overheard my brother-in-law criticizing me in front of other family members and I heard laughing. I remember feeling the most awful stunned feeling inside but I couldn't leave because the funeral was the next day. I did let my sister know what happened but I got no support from her or my two brothers. I felt like no one cared. It was bad enough that my father died but this was just awful. I am convinced that this was the catalyst for the vitiligo.
I wrote to Dr. Sarno and I got a letter back with times that I could call and speak to him briefly.
Michele
n/a Posted - 09/07/2004 : 22:01:53
Hi Michele,

I think there is definitely a mind-body connection to vitiligo. I started to develop white patches 2 years ago. I went to my dermatologist who thought it was either vitiligo or (horrors!) leprosy.
She wanted to do a biopsy. I freaked out and consulted another dermatologist who said it was a fungal infection and gave me some anti-fungal ointment. I was very relieved and used the ointment and it immediately started improving and clearing up the white spots. After a few months, the ointment seemed to stop working. My new dermatologist was on vacation so I went back to my old dermatologist who did a biopsy and found it was actually vitiligo. She didn't know why the anti-fungal ointment had worked for the first few months as it should have had no effect on the vitiligo!

I'm still dealing with the vitiligo and using an ointment specifically for it (Protopic) with some success. I find that the white spots start spreading when I get depressed and under stress. Right now I'm considering hypnotherapy as I'm pretty suggestible.

Also had the run around with plantar fasciitis which seemed to keep coming back whenever I talked on the phone to my mother who was dealing with it herself and would talk about it in detail. I finally had to get really strict with my body and tell the TMS to knock it off whenever I spoke on the phone with my mother. I told her about the tms theory and she agreed it was a mind-body thing as she first had plantar fasciitis in one foot and then it switched to the other foot when her doctor mentioned she would probably get it in the other foot. (great doctor, huh?)

Michele, I'm curious...What did Dr. Sarno actually tell you about vitiligo relating to tms?
(I was connecting the start of my vitiligo to thyroid problems but now I'm wondering if that was just the precursor.)

--LJ

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000