TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 startle reflex to sudden noises

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Singer_Artist Posted - 06/20/2006 : 15:26:14
Has anyone ever been hyper sensitive to noises, ie..someone knocking at the door, the phone ringing, etc...while in the middle of a bad bout of TMS?...I am dealing with it in my neck for several weeks now...This startle reaction came back a couple of weeks ago after a mild Nucca adjustment from a chiropractor...(it's not a high speed adjustment at all like the one i had a year and a half ago)..The starting started after that high speed adjustment i had in the past and it came back this time around...I only very recently have been able to plug in the home phone...Even when i am laying on my back resting, if i hear the AC come on unexpectedly i jump on the inside...There is like a surge of adrenaline in my head as if i were very frightened...I am trying to tell my brain this is just another manifestation of TMS and nothing physical or signifying nerve damage..It seemed like it was calming and today its worse as my neck is tighter then yesterday...INterestingly, I had words with my ex fiance when we spoke on the phone today...so if this isn't TMS i don't know what is! I never fully healed from the terrible break up...We were engaged and he broke up with me last Nov. in an email! Talk about rage...that word isn't strong enough..I thought i was over it completely but today found that i am not...The last thing i need is an attack of TMS on top of an existing attack! I have been seeing improvement but now it feels all locked up again...Very frustrating..When i lay down for a few minutes with no pillow and then i sit up and see how my neck is moving it actually moves better for a time...Then my brain concludes..."See, after you layed down your bones must have went back into place or something.." I know that sounds ridiculous, but it is easy to think physical when you do an activity (laying down) and then feel better when you sit up...I realize this could just be conditioning...(Dave you are probably thinking "She's answering her own questions again!") Ahhhh...I just want to be well again and get myself back to the gym and back to my painting! I miss it so! I did order Amir's and Sopher's books and i am reading the Divided Mind...I also plan on having a session with Don Dubin as soon as he returns from vaca....I sure need it! thanx for listening...
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Singer_Artist Posted - 06/23/2006 : 08:55:30
Thanx Joyful,Anne, and Stryder...I so appreciate your input...Thank GOd I never had a panic attack..Just general fear and some anxiety and hypersensitivity to the sudden sounds...I have earplugs and that is a good suggestion...Sometimes they work but when my neck is particularly tight they don't always work..I still hear the sound and over react...ie..my roomie made a mistake and knocked on my door when i was nearly asleep..it just made everything worse..Then I got angry because i told him NEVER to do that and he forgot..I prayed about it and released the anger and felt some relief...But my unconscious rage runs deep, from long ago...Yes you are right about the mental/emotional abuse...It's true i need to stay away, at least for awhile from trying to be 'friends' with my ex..it's just not healthy...Have seen Claire W's books but thank you because i am going to tell my best friend about her..She suffers from panic disorder...My concerns now are about getting range of motion and mobility back in my neck without going to physical therapy and focusing on the physical...Thanks so much again for your input...I welcome it always...
j0yful Posted - 06/23/2006 : 08:06:25
Singer, there is no such thing as JUST verbal and emotional abuse. I think I read that you had been on the phone with the abuser for an hour. THAT MEANS YOU WERE ABUSED FOR AN HOUR! No wonder your feeling panicked, rage and TMS pain. Reading Patricia Evans book "The Verbally Abusive Relationship" and Dr. Phils message board on ABUSE, (it's listed under the marriage category) These saved my life. IT IS OK TO FIND OUT WHAT THE UNDERLYING CAUSE OF THE TMS (SUPPRESSED RAGE) IS.
Stryder Posted - 06/23/2006 : 06:03:07
Try using soft foam earplugs for a while to give yourself a break from the adrenaline rush. You can still hear but the impact of the sounds are reduced. Caution: If you are living alone then not a good idea to wear these when sleeping as you will not hear the fire alarm. If you are not living alone then earplugs while sleeping will give you a better night's sleep if the other person is a noisey sleeper (snoring).

My preference is the 3M 1100

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/earplugs/

Take care, -Stryder
n/a Posted - 06/23/2006 : 02:58:15
The startle thing - could it be that you have become over-vigilant?

It sounds like part of the twinge of pain - fear - more pain - more fear cycle that I got myself into.

I became hyper-vigilant about every little normal sensation and twinge that occurred in my body. I had panic attacks during the time that my TMS was at its worst, for the only time in my life. Anything and everything was distressing to me at that time.

I made my husband postpone the installation of our new heating system because I had a painc attack just thinking about the noise and mess.

Not exactly what you describe, but your post rang bells with me.

Have you read any of the books on anxiety by Dr Claire Weekes? She didn't write about mind -body illnesses, but quite a few people who post here have found her advice on dealing with the anxiety that can make recovery from TMS difficult very helpful.

Singer_Artist Posted - 06/22/2006 : 17:08:20
OMG I feel so stupid...I just noticed the name of the site is verbalabuse.com! And so it doesn't make sense that i would tell you it was only verbal and emotional...Have alot on my mind right now...The startle thing started after the chiro adjustment, just like what happened last year...
Singer_Artist Posted - 06/22/2006 : 17:06:38
Thanx Joyful...not it wasn't physically abusive but it was mentally and emotionally abusive...I will check it out..:))
j0yful Posted - 06/22/2006 : 15:14:08
Hi Singer, I've read a couple of your posts. How bad was the relationship with your fiance? Was it abusive? Startle reflex can be a sign of PTSD from abuse. Check out verbalabuse.com It's a great site to see if this might be the case.

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000