TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 antidepressants

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
dwinsor52 Posted - 06/20/2006 : 14:04:59
I could use some support on another matter now that my pain has been resolved for several years now.

When I was in terrible pain, I literally got addicted to non addicted medication - specifically antidepressants. I have taken every single one you can imagine. The promise of a quick fix has proven very alluring over the years.

After reading the Divided Mind, I decided I was tired of continuing to rely on antidepressants when I have a strong feeling I do not need them. I went to my doctor, gave her my history and how on antidepressants I am always wondering if good feelings are a result of them or bad feelings are not enough of them, etc. etc. I think it's very addictive thinking, being so psychologically dependent. So my doctor totally understood, has had me on a very slow taper and I have been fine so far. I am scared, though! I do believe strongly in anxiety and depression being equivalents. This will be the first time in many, many years I will be off medication.

I would really appreciate any cheerleading. For me, I believe the effectiveness of antidepressants has been strongly placebo.
Thanks
Debby
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
shari Posted - 06/22/2006 : 00:21:31
It's not easy to find a good therapist, especially someone familiar with TMS. A good place to search might be this website:
http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/medicinenet/
Dr. Sarno mentions analytical psychotherapy for TMS patients who need extra help. I talked about this with a therapist who recommended searching for a psychologist who uses the psychodynamic and/or interpersonal approach.
tennis tom Posted - 06/21/2006 : 21:29:30
Hi Vegomatic,

Thanks for that heart-felt post. I could really relate to it. My experience with a psychiatrist was much the same as yours. I was beleagured with many TMS creating issues. I met the shrink when I took my 83 year old father to seem him for an evaluation for dementia after, a "TIA-stroke". I went to see him for my own anxiety to get a pill to help me through the rough patch. He treated me for depression and put me on Lexapro.

I went from a day to day depression, to a "significant depressive state". I attribute a good part of this to the meds. I refused to take anymore and demanded to get off. He was elderly and trained in old-school psychosomatic therapy. Somewhat reluctantly he agreed to talking therapy.

In retrospect, I now can see that we had no rapport what-so-ever, but it got me through the rough-patch. If, I had to do it over again, I would seek out a TMS psycho-therapist. Unless the psych was on-board, or very open to discovering TMS, I think it would be a waste of time, money and probably counter-productive.

Too bad you can't afford to see your psych. more than once a month, but perhaps, you can use this forum as a substitute--and the good thing is it's FREE!

From my understanding, of the state of current psychiatry, it considers "mind" problems to be structural--that is chemical imbalances--and treats them with chemicals. This is diametricaly opposed to TMS!
vegomatic Posted - 06/21/2006 : 20:42:31
I started seeing Dr. Sarno due to back pain. Once the back pain was gone I started to focus on anxiety (which turned into OCD and then back to anxiety then to back pain then to anxiety again - I "got it on the run") that I've had for most of my life.

I've been totally off antidepressants (ranging from Zoloft, Lexapro and Nortrypline) for about four months after being on them for over ten years. I weaned off the meds under the supervision of one of Sarno's psychologists and my old psychiatrist who doesn't agree with Sarno but who I needed nevertheless to get me off the meds.

I've been doing pretty good. I feel I'm really starting to get to the core of my anxiety which is embedded deep within my unconscious. I can't remember what it's like NOT to be anxious so this may take some work and some time. I can only see my shrink once a month because I can't afford more appointments right now. I wish I could see my doctor more.

I've had some anxiety flare ups but I am functional. My latest flare up was severe doubt about everything Sarno and TMS that ranged from the paranoid to conspiratorial - I know - I have issues )

On a good note, I'm not bed-ridden from anxiety which is what I used to be. Kind of like being bed-ridden from back pain which is what I used to be. Wow. What similarities

A while ago I tried to go unsupervised cold turkey from my meds and I experienced insane amounts of withdrawal. That was a BIG mistake so I got back on them. I got off them the right way a few years later since I was shell shocked from going cold turkey.

I started to feel detatched on the meds, kind of like a zombie. I also had some side effects so I figured if there is a chance of living a med free life, I want to experience that again (against the advice of my old psychiatrist whose FIRST suggestion was to have me put on medication in the first place). Being off the meds has been okay. Closer to being back to the land of the living again

I'm trying to really dig deep now regarding the causes of my anxiety so I may not like what I find but it's essential to be 100% which is what I haven't been in a long time. Just imagine what I will be like when I am

So don't be afraid. TMS thrives on fear. There are a lot of people who have been weaned off meds. You can too.
j0yful Posted - 06/21/2006 : 13:10:52
Congratulations!!!!! You're doing great! Antidepressants have turned my mother into a zombie. But she just loves her new drug dealer, I mean doctor who has put her all this crap.
dwinsor52 Posted - 06/21/2006 : 13:08:03
Actually, I didn't say that I am not at all depressed currently, and feel that my previous depression came out of my hopelessness over having chronic pain. Sarno's techniques have helped me be rid of the pain and have enabled me to use new skills to deal with uncomfortable feelings. So I don't think I need a group for that at this point. In fact, I would say this is the happiest I have ever been. I think what would help me to hear from other people is any experience in being brainwashed by well meaning psychiatrists that they will always need meds, just like I was brainwashed that I would always have fibromyalgia. I have posted before that I am someone who is particularly vulnerable to media advertising and pharmaceutical marketing techniques. I went through such a hard time letting go of Restless Legs Meds due to TV commercials etc. Same with antidepressants. Right now I feel like such a joyful person. But my addictive self has a hard time letting go of magical thinking around pills.
Thanks!
tennis tom Posted - 06/21/2006 : 11:38:17
Hi dwinsor,

That's a really good idea by Shari. I recently got through a "significant depressive state." When you're in it, you feel isolated and like your the only one on the planet who is miserable. A group would be good.

I've had three experiences with mood rx's in my life. Librium in the late 60's for a short term anxiety episode--did the job.

About 4 years ago, small dose of Celexa, experimenting to help lessen back-pain. Worked ok, got some improvement. Stopped after about 6 months. Felt somewhat dulled emotionally-like looking at life from a distance. Slightly slowed reactions.

More recently Lexapro. 1 was ok, but when doc tried bumping up to 2, got anxiety so bad had to go to ER at 3:30 a.m., fearing a heart attack.

Think the shrink read me all wrong. Mis-read my state as needing energizing and tried drugging me to pep me up--when actually I had TOO much energy and nothing to dissipate it on. Some people think Lexi's are great; maybe they need pepping up. I needed calming down.

The Lexapro magninfied the problem. Weaned off it as fast as I could and felt back to my "normal" self after a couple of weeks.

Just my personal experiences. I'm sure your situation could be totally different from mine.
shari Posted - 06/21/2006 : 08:40:11
Debby -- Consider joining a class or support group for anxiety or depression in your area. I just finished a 8-week class on depression and found it such a wonderful experience. You can talk freely and openly about your pains or fears with people who listen and understand because they're going through the same pains or fears. My weekly class had become the highlight of my week.

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000