TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 one more question, please

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
SusiQ217 Posted - 06/19/2006 : 10:43:43
The more I read Dr. Sarno's books and other sources of information, the more terrified I become. Dr. sarno makes it sound like we should be relieved that it's a benign condition, but I am scared to death - like when you were little and you believed in the monster in the closet - the unknown. If knowledge is power, why am I more frightened now? Did anyone else feel this way? Thanks!
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
yowire Posted - 06/20/2006 : 20:43:31
Hi SusiQ217,

Yes, I also was very frightened and intimidated when I first read Mindbody Prescription. I was scared of my own unconscious mind. The thought of having another mind which had its own agenda that seemed to include causing me to suffer was disturbing. However, there is good news. As you follow the guidelines in the books, the fear dissipates. The fear is all part of TMS.

Yowire
Carolyn Posted - 06/19/2006 : 19:29:38
SusiQ-
Your posts are all hitting very close to home for me. Right after I read the book and started to realize it made sense for me, I started having huge anxiety- free-floating terror- for the first time in my life. And as with most new sympotms for me, I found myself thinking that this was worse than the original pain because anxiety is awful. My anxiety was not specifically about having TMS, and yours probably isn't really either. Challenge it just like you should challenge your pain. Is it rational? You say "why am I more frightened now?" - it doesn't make sense - you shouldn't be. That's your clue that it is TMS at work.

Lots of people here have had anxiety as part of their TMS experience. Some people say anxiety is a TMS equivalent or I wonder if maybe it is the emotions coming closer to the surface but the two are definitely working together. I try to think of anxiety as a good thing now- like it is a way for me to get the negative emotion out of my body. Whenever I have a strong emotion of any type, I force myself to focus on it, stop fighting it and really feel it in my body. Give it a try with the fear and see if it doesn't just evaporate. It's like instead of running from the fear and giving it control over you, you turn around and face it (not fight it- just face it) and find out it was nothing.

The one important thing I've learned about this for me at least is that you have to do it when the emotion comes up naturally whether it seems convenient at the time or not. Otherwise, when you push the fear to the back of your mind to be dealt with later, you are just adding to what you are repressing.

Carolyn
tennis tom Posted - 06/19/2006 : 11:09:51
SusiQ,

Knowledege is power for the rational side of your mind--but fear is the food, that the TMS gremlin, residing in the irrational, primitive, side of your mind, feeds on.

The gremlin is afraid, that it will be found out, so it creates your TMS physical symptom to distract you and hide behind.

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000