TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 mentally moving pain

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
SusiQ217 Posted - 06/19/2006 : 09:14:57
Keeping in mind that I ynderstand the ultimate goal is to become pain-free, has anyone successfully used their mind to move their discomfort to a more manageable are of the body? I know this might sound crazy, but I'd rather have a headache or have to go to the bathroom more frequently than have back or pelvic pain. Thanks!
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Carolyn Posted - 06/19/2006 : 19:09:46
I also saw a physical therapist for my pelvic pain which was clearly based in muscle tension at least by that point which was several years into the pain. Once I started therapy, my pain also started to move- my back and hip got worse, my wrist injury flared- I even started having abdominal pain. At the time I rationalized it something like it sounds like you are doing- trying to come up with a plausible physical explanation. But now I know that the act of entering into therapy acts as a placebo effect- you think you are doing something that will relieve the pain which makes the pain less plausible, so your brain simply switches it to somewhere else in the hopes that this will serve as a better distraction.

A friend just called me today, who has had on-going shoulder pain for which she has scheduled surgery several times but always had to cancel it because other things came up. Today in passing she mentioned that the original shoulder is feeling a lot better but now the other one is hurting. She then launched into a rationalizing explanation of how babying the one shoulder must have put excess strain on the other one. Now she is contemplating surgery on both. I was struck right away by this rationalizing because I did it many times myself to explain why the pain moved around and how I could possibly have yet another new symptom. But think about it, what possible rational explanation is there for pain being 'chased' from one location to another or showing up on the other side- the biology just doesn't add up. I think that trying to rationalize irrational symptoms is a big Red Flag for TMS. I try to recognize that trait in myself to head off a new symptom and I sure see it in other people a lot.

That of course brings up the whole other topic of what I should say to my friend (more of a casual friend). I don't want her (or anyone) to have unnessary surgery but I didn't feel like launching into a sermon extolling the virtues of converting to Sarnoism.

SusiQ- stick with the TMS work and really become aware of the thoughts you have about your pain, challenge them and see whether they make sense. It sometimes takes a while, but the point will come when you just know that what Sarno says is true and then you will start to get better.
SusiQ217 Posted - 06/19/2006 : 10:32:29
Carolyn -

Quite recently, Before I had any idea that TMS existed, I went to a pelvic physical therapist, who had theorized my pain was a result of a soft tissue problem. You see, five or so years ago, I was assaulted by a doctor and remained in the "fight or flight" state. Counseling helped, but one thing I did learn was that you cannot erase trauma. Anyway, she did get rid of my pelvic pain using myofascial and deep tissue release. Of course, now I have cramping in my side and tightness in my upper back, which I have NEVER had. I did tell her that she managed to chase the pelvic pain out, but to my back, so maybe it is possible.
Singer_Artist Posted - 06/19/2006 : 10:31:49
I think what Carolyn said makes sense Susi...Although i know what you are feeling..I sometimes wish my pain were out of my neck and some place else..Because the neck is at the top of the body and pretty much controls everything..But then when my knee acts up it is upsetting because it would be hard to even take a walk outside and get some air..Pelvic pain can be scary, have had that too...But again...the pain will lodge itself in the area where you will be most distracted..
Carolyn Posted - 06/19/2006 : 09:38:23
I know exactly what you mean. I definitely have some equivalents that I mind more than others- I'd rather have wrist pain than pelvic pain. I have tried to see if I can will the pain to move to a more favorable location but with no success. I doubt that it would be possible anyway because it goes against the whole premise of TMS. If you are trying to bring on a specific pain then your mind obviously already knows that it is not a real injury and therefore it won't serve as a good distraction. Also I think the pain is most likely to stay lodged in the most distressing place for you because that is where it is the best distraction. For myself, I find that usually when the pain moves, I find the new pain worse and wish the old one would come back.

Carolyn

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000